• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

w9's

asd

The other day I did a poster for a local hospital and the total was around 80 something and the person that contacted me send me email asking for a w9, in order for them to process the payment to which I though, wtf w9 for a 80 dollars job, is this ridiculous or what? I know for tax purposes the amount has to be more than 600.00. in my limited hours (10) during the workday I personally don't want to spend 5 to 10 minutes filling and emailing w9s for small amounts It I was to send w9s for every customer I sale a sign I will be spending 2 hours everyday. it has been 7 weeks and no payment has come thru yet I am pondering should I send this to a collection agency to get payment after all when you get a $125.00 aspirin from them, if you don't pay that they send you to collection. So to make it short at what amount do you guys send w9s out?

WildWestDesigns

Typically the amount is at or greater then $600 for the year, regardless if it's one job or fifty, it's the total amount spent during that year.

Now, I'm speculating here, but I'm willing to bet that they are requiring a W9, because it's a hospital. I remember another discussion where people were suggesting to the OP to setup as a corp. instead of a sole prop. to get around from having to send out W9s. Medical and legal services are exempt from that workaround, meaning W9s still apply. I don't know if it goes the other way around or not, but I'm willing to bet that for them, it's better safe then sorry to just require it then to have to deal with determining which ones need it and which ones don't.

But that's me speculating as to why they are requiring it. Since my customers are other shops, I don't have a reason to deal with that specific situation.

ams

Because it's a hospital, it's a requirement for them to have a W-9 from you to process payment. If you don't send it, then don't think you will get paid.
They should be a NET 30, but you have to make sure you are emailing the invoice and W9 to the right person, only send it to accounting not to the buyer.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I have a pre filled out w9 on file. Take the 2 seconds and email it and next time charge them more. Anyone asking for Net30 like that should be charged a minimum for the hassel.

Johnny Best

They just want to put you in their system. They will have you on file for future work. Next time they need sign work they will give you a call. Just do what Texas does and scan your W9 and keep it in your system for future use.

Billct2

Do you want to do more work for them? or are you willing to lose a potential large repeat client over 5 minutes to send a form?

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Yeah don't piss off a hospital. They could be a good client. Mine's always ordering signs from me. A lot of times time it's small but I charged accordingly and as long as I get the work done they are happy.

fresh

you can just send them one with only your information filled out, you don't need to include their information. I have a blank w9 saved on my desktop, its practically no effort to email.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Our W9 PDF is on my desk top. Whenever someone asks for it I just send it. Half the time I don't even change the date. They really just need your tax id number at the end of the day.

asd

I have a pre filled out w9 on file. Take the 2 seconds and email it and next time charge them more. Anyone asking for Net30 like that should be charged a minimum for the hassel.

I like this idea, customer who meet the 600.00 threshold will be exempt, but all others shall not

asd

I have one pre-filled, but I still have printed dated and signed or else they will get rejected, as far as potential clients, most of the hospitals buy their signage on line, I've been in business for more than 10 years,not once we had bid on a project for signs for the hospital and there are only 4 sign companies in the whole county.

kalcopy

We just keep a stock W9 on file and email/fax it to companies that request it. Even when I don't think a company really needs a W9 from us its easier just to send one over vs argue with them.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Are you a contractor or a merchant? If the former then have at it with the w9's. As for myself, I'm a merchant and I don't do W9's. Ever. Under any circumstances. If some customer or another insists that I do so before they pay me, I explain that I'm not is a 1099 relationship with them and whether or not I do a W9, they still owe me the money. If they refuse, small claims court is just down the street. Mechanic's lien to follow.

Last edited:

2B

+1 for the pre-filled form, very helpful for convenience
we also have a "digital signature" set-up for those customers that have to have a "current" time stamp on it