• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wagner changeable track installation

Kottwitz-Graphics

Hey, guys. I've got to replace a couple of Pan Formed faces that are 5' x 8'. There are (5) changeable tracks on the original faces, to give (4) lines of copy.

The original track was bonded on with weld on, but I'm not really set up to weld that long of a track. Are the plastic rivets acceptable to use. ( Nylon Rivets for Mounting Plastic Letter Track ) I've used them on flat faces that are behind vandal proof faces, but I haven't used them on a face that is out in the elements, particularly the wind.

Will drilling holes in a polycarb face weaken it to where it won't be structurally sound, or am I worrying over nothing?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If you can lay the panels flat somewhere to do the rivets, why couldn't you use weld-on ??

Rocco G

The plastic rivets are OK but using channel bond is much better. I've seen cases where the rivets (plastic or metal) start to loosen and the letters are falling out of the track. Plus it's always nerve wracking to drill holes in a nice new face, let alone a pan formed face. One slip and you've ruined an expensive piece of plastic. The channel bond is rather expensive but is the right way to do it. While I've never done it myself you might be able to get away with a small cartridge of a Lords type adhesive if you don't want to spend the $ for the channel bond - or can't get it locally. There are lots of different versions and I don't have my chart handy but your supplier can recommend the correct formulation to use.

Kottwitz-Graphics

If you can lay the panels flat somewhere to do the rivets, why couldn't you use weld-on ??

It's not laying it flat that's the problem. I'm more worried about the track walking up or down. When they were done originally, the track was laid in a trough and then laid on the face by 3 employees.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
So, you can't space them where they belong with a pre-made jig, clip the ends, put a weight on them and then squirt the glue underneath ?? Get them in place with the super liquid-y stuff, then go back with the toothpaste type. You can skip the liquid step, if you can do the toothpaste and you're real fast.