• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wall graphics job

thezigman

Sign maker near Chicago
I've lettered tons of trucks, and made signs and have done plenty of police cars an emergency vehicles, but i now have a customer that wants me to print a mural (with artwork supplied by the customer) to cover an interior wall in their reception area. Right now its just painted drywall. 8' x 28'

This is something that I've not done before.
I am considering using Oracal 3628 for the job.

Not sure if this is the right material for the job. and honestly I am not sure what I should be charging for this.
I am waiting for pricing from my supplier for the material.

Also would you laminate this?
I have a Mutoh VJ1324
Any insight, and advice would be greatly appreciated.

tollerdad

+1 for Phototex very easy and forgiving to install. I would use Oracal 210 semi on the 3628 if you go that way. Sold that combination to a installer for a chain of pizza shops and it installed well and is easy to clean.

NicKiehl

I personally love Avery's 2611 & 2631. The 2611 is smooth, the 2631 is textured in either canvas, stucco or crushed stone (great for an upcharge and installs equally easy). I believe they all have permanent and removable adhesives as well. You can laminate the 2611, but not the textured 2631. Since walls are pretty easy, i generally like to charge between $1.50-2.50/sqft for installs. Depending on how many obstacles I have to cut around.

• Agree
Reactions: Bly

Behrmon

Pr. Bear-Mon
Also a big plus one for Avery crushed stone, prints beautifully and a breeze to work with, customers have all loved the look so far.

T_K

I've used Avery 2611, and it's a good material. I did not laminate it, but I was able to leave it for a week to dry and outgas. No problem installing except for my lack of experience dealing with large panel wall graphics solo and some pre-existing damage to the drywall near the ceiling that made it tricky. This was on a lightly textured wall, so I'd think a flat wall would be easier.

MikePro

if you do any canvas printing, especially for wall murals, ALWAYS laminate it. just takes one rough rub of your felt squeegee or an overzealous cleaning crew, to ruin it. Liquid laminate anything printed on textured material, you can roll it on with a paintroller, or use matching lamination film for the printed media you are using.

shoresigns

Another vote for Avery 2611 here. We print on it with Roland eco-solvent inks and the ink adhesion is exceptional. You don't need to laminate to protect the ink from your squeegee, and it's twice as thick as regular vinyl so you don't need to laminate it to make installation easier, either.

I installed an 8-10 panel wall mural on 2611 several years ago, by myself, with no direction and no training, when I was completely new to the sign biz. The only difficult part was going around a 90 degree inside corner to the next wall.

T_K

if you do any canvas printing, especially for wall murals, ALWAYS laminate it. just takes one rough rub of your felt squeegee or an overzealous cleaning crew, to ruin it. Liquid laminate anything printed on textured material, you can roll it on with a paintroller, or use matching lamination film for the printed media you are using.
I've never used liquid laminate before. Is it as much of a pain as I think it would be?

Bly

We use a lot of Avery 2611 with 2100 lam.
We've done about 8 rolls in the last 2 weeks.
Ease of installation is one of it's key points.
Removability is a bonus too.
It doesn't adhere that well to slightly textured surfaces.

bigben

I only use phototex for my walls. I use 8 to 10 rolls per month of that stuff. Liquid laminate is a PITA, but I'm looking to get a daige liquid laminator.

thezigman

Sign maker near Chicago
The customer wants it smooth and shiny, so I will be using a gloss vinyl for this job.
My suppliers sell Orafol, and Avery. I am still waiting for pricing from them (IDK what their hold up is on this?!?) I'll be on the phone with them this morning.

My customer is impatiently awaiting my quote...I am thinking about charging $7/SF which would put this job at right around $1500.
does this sound like its in the ballpark?

We use a lot of Avery 2611 with 2100 lam.
We've done about 8 rolls in the last 2 weeks.
Ease of installation is one of it's key points.
Removability is a bonus too.
It doesn't adhere that well to slightly textured surfaces.
How well does the 2611 stick to paint with Teflon and other additives in it?

ams

The customer wants it smooth and shiny, so I will be using a gloss vinyl for this job.
My suppliers sell Orafol, and Avery. I am still waiting for pricing from them (IDK what their hold up is on this?!?) I'll be on the phone with them this morning.

My customer is impatiently awaiting my quote...I am thinking about charging $7/SF which would put this job at right around $1500.
does this sound like its in the ballpark?

I would do $7.50 / sq. ft. plus installation

CL Visual

I use mostly all avery products so with wall wraps I use a lot of 2611. I also use 2105 ez with 2080 or 2060 lam. If you want the textured look and need to laminate, I would suggest using the 3m lamination with texture built in. Print with a flat film like ij40 and lam with this stuff. It's absolutely stunning. As far as price, I charge $10 a foot for 2611 and $12-$15 a for textured. I start a volume discount around 250 square feet.

ddarlak

Go Bills!
$7.50 is way too low.

I use phototex and would never think of using anything else, it goes on like butter...no lamination

i'd be at least $10+ SqFt to start

ddarlak

Go Bills!
Haha..... Consider the source on that one.

what the phuck is that supposed to mean? I have done plenty of walls with phototex and it works great, and I make good money, so , yea i guess consider the source.

phuckin freak.....

Bly

How well does the 2611 stick to paint with Teflon and other additives in it?

It doesn't.
If it's a new project I tell the builders what paint to use.
If it's an existing wall I go do an adhesion test to avoid embarrassing failures.