• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

wall mounted acrylic with hidden hardware

petepaz

quoting a job with printed acrylic panels that are mounted to the wall at different depths. (3 panels. a base, triangle and pie piece)
customer does not want to see the hardware in the print area. like standoff caps.
any thoughts on how to make this happens?
i am thinking maybe drilling in the back of the acrylic about half way and gluing in some studs and just use spacers off the wall?
:help

Attachments

• mission statements-mounting.pdf
    2.2 MB · Views: 278

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
How big are the panels? And thickness? We typically use cleats if customer wants no mounting to be seen.

petepaz

there are multiple groups of these ranging in size
but as an example one set is base 36" x 21", pie 15"x15" and triangle logo 25"x8"
started off with 1/4" acrylic but if i have to stud mount from the back probably have to go to 1/2" .
just worried about the weight. the customer wants the base to be 1" off the wall and the pie & triangle to be 2" off the wall.
as far as the printing i would be going front surface print so i don't have to worry about damaging the graphics with the mounting.

J Hill Designs

I would probably french cleat the main panel to the wall, then tap and stud (or weld-on acrylic to acrylic should work at those small sizes) for the popouts

jc_0125

Creative Director
bringing this thread back to life

what did you end up doing to adhere the cleat to the back of the acrylic sign panel? I have a 96"w X 34"h acrylic panel wall mounted and the customer doesn't want to see any standoffs. Did you end up drilling halfway, then use some glue for extra strength?

Andy D

I'm not super savvy on this type of install but think our installers always used stud pads with 100% silicone.
gi-0123456.jpg

jwilde

I personally don't buy 100% into the VHB applications because they have not always stood the test for me. I do use them a lot, but for me I would shy away from them on this applications. As for acrylic to aluminum, you could try a signlok 406 or something equivalent, but I would do a shear test. I haven't done this mix of materials and can't attest to its success, but Lords glue is awesome.

That said, making a French Cleat is super basic and you can make it our of anything. Just put a 45 degree cut on two pieces... Mount one to the wall and one to the sign. I make them out of Aluminum, Gator, Sintra, Acrylic, wood... It really doesn't matter the material.

So for this case router out a couple of .25" acrylic rectangles and 45 one edge on each. I like to put the same width spacers at the bottom of the sign so it sits correctly... So router a couple of small squares to weld towards the bottom corners for simple spacers.

petepaz

what did you end up doing to adhere the cleat to the back of the acrylic sign panel? I have a 96"w X 34"h acrylic panel wall mounted and the customer doesn't want to see any standoffs. Did you end up drilling halfway, then use some glue for extra strength?

i quoted using the glue on pads and studs but the order never came through

ddarlak

Go Bills!
I'm not super savvy on this type of install but think our installers always used stud pads with 100% silicone.
gi-0123456.jpg

i use these all the time, i stopped using silicone and just use VHB, cover the circle 100% and it sticks solid

fastmax

i use 2p10 adhesive for attaching things to acrylic, and i try to scratch it up or do some tiny holes to help it grip, i even drill through the z clips so the glue can seep through

jc_0125

Creative Director
i use 2p10 adhesive for attaching things to acrylic, and i try to scratch it up or do some tiny holes to help it grip, i even drill through the z clips so the glue can seep through
ended up using the stud pads with silicone. worked well
gi-0123456.jpg