• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wall Mural Quote and Method

nolanola

I am looking for some guidance/reassurance on a plan I have developed for a wall mural project. It is for two walls that need to be pressure washed and prepped (spot primed) then fully repainted with a new design. We are thinking that the project will take 2 weeks labor with 2 workers at $60/hr studio rate ($960/day) plus cost of rental equipment, a bucket truck for instance, and $1200 for hiring out for the new design. We are planning on painting it with either a stencil or some sort of projection of the design onto the wall. Does this seem like we are headed in the right direction? confirmation or input would be great.

dimensions:

wall 1: 1200 sq ft
wall 2: 1000 sq ft
Wall 1.jpg
wall 2.jpg

Gino

Premium Subscriber
No, not at all.

What does the new design look like ?? You can't bid on something like this without knowing the design.

Also, you don't want a bucket for that. You want a man-lift.

What's there would only take about 2 days to paint, if that. You'd have more in prep time than actual painting time.

You need to supply more information to get anything close to an estimate.

equippaint

Id use a wide platform electric or a rough terrain scissor. Then you wont have to move it around so much and have plenty of space on the platform for all of your materials. Id sub out the pressure washing too then just add it back into the estimate plus a %. A projector would be easier but I don't think it would be very effective in the daylight. 2 weeks seems like a pretty padded time line to complete it, Id think youd be ok there.

studio 440

It would help to see the design first ,before an estimation of time and materials can be given, but totally agree with scissor lift over bucket for access

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
I would even go beyond a lift of any type and use scaffold. Especially if painting.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We weren't painting, but installing banners this day, but even this would be overkill, however much much easier than scaffolding or a bucket, plus you have about a 42" x 96" platform from which to work. We were both up there all day and it is so secure, it's unreal.
60 footer lift.jpg

rdg china closing banner.jpg

Johnny Best

I think that is the layout with the deminsions in post #1 with the Palm Tree Playground on the wall. If it is, then scaffolding, ladders, bucket truck, whatever, should not take that long to do. A scale drawing is all you need to do that, You might be overthinking it.

spectrum maine

depends entirely on the mural. it should be less than a day to paint the clean wall. rent or buy a hvlp sprayer & put a huge nozzle in it. of course the mural could take a while depending on complexity.
i would basecoat the wall in the final mural colors with the hvlp.
In the old days a couple of walldogs could repaint an entire billboard in a day,
thats why they have fast dry blockout white.

signbrad

A scissor lift is ideal for a job like this. It easily carries two workers and equipment for painting. The surface of the parking lot appears to be hard and flat in the photo. And you can rent scissor lifts practically anywhere.
Bucket truck, scaffolding, even pick-and-ladders will work, too, though pick-and-ladders is not legal in many areas (a pick mounted on pump jacks usually is, though). But for a wall of this size and height, a simple scissor lift would be my first choice. Set up is easier than scaffolding and it is less costly than the four-wheel-drive rubber-tired rigs.

Transferring the graphics to the wall

Sketching by hand from a scale drawing is the traditional way. Use artwork at 1-1/2 inch to the foot for the scale and draw a grid on the printout for accurate transferring. 1-1/2" scale lends itself to the use of a yardstick (1/8 inch equals one inch). Snap long lines with powdered charcoal in a chalk box (carpenter's blue chalk will be messy). You can snap long lines by yourself by taping the end of the line to the wall with duct tape, or Gorilla tape if your background color is bonded well. Of course, it's much easier to snap lines with two people and two ladders.

Pounce Patterns

You mention stencils? You are no doubt referring to pounce patterns.
Using pounce patterns is an excellent method, especially if hand drawing on the wall from a sketch is not your strength. I like tiling vertical patterns whenever possible. Vertical patterns can simply be taped at the top and unrolled from top to bottom, taping as you descend in the lift. Start with the center pattern, making sure it is placed accurately, then unroll successive pieces on either side of it, butting the edges. This can easily be done by one person.
Of course, a long line of text may lend itself to a horizontally placed pattern. Two sets of hands can be helpful for this.

Projecting directly?
It is very common, but you will have distortion to correct. And you will need to project at night...UNLESS you have or have access to a digital art projector, such as those made by Artograph.
These machines are incredible. If you use one of these for the first time you will be amazed. Depending on the model you will have anywhere from 500 to 1000 lumens of powerful light. You do not need to wait for darkness and you can project IN COLOR from a digital file. You don't need to make a line drawing on a transparency. The detail that can be cast onto the wall has to be seen to be believed. And distortion can be adjusted from the projector with the "keystone" function.
A Walldog project was loaned two of these projectors by the Artograph Company two years ago in Wisconsin, and everyone who saw it was impressed. If I weren't close to retiring I would buy one of these immediately, in spite of the price tag.

Which paint?
The Walldog projects I have worked on no longer use One Shot of any other oil-based lettering colors. It just doesn't hold up. The go-to paint now on these projects is a water-based acrylic mural paint made by Nova Color in California. Nova offers a large selection of colors, plus blending mediums for pictorial work. If you are used to doing wall jobs with traditional lettering paints, Nova Color takes a little getting used to (after all, it's latex), but it's worth it for the color retention. Sables and synthetic brushes work better than fitches and bristle cutters. And, of course, a high-quality water based acrylic will almost always outlast any oil paint on masonry. And Nova Color is heavily pigmented. I can letter black Sunbrella fabric with white Nova Color and get excellent coverage with two coats.

Brad in Kansas City

visual800

for that job we would use our rolling scaffolding, saves money on rental equipment. A 2 man Genie lift is overkill for this job. We would transfer graphics by means of pattern BUT have to see design! We use Benjamin Moore paints, exterior satin grade, they stand up just fine for us.

The walls are not that big so the pressure washing and priming would go pretty quick BUT I need to see the damn design going on the wall. Is it nothing but lettering? A jungle scene? We need visual to help us help you determine if your pricing is on the mark.

Nonetheless we could knock out the pressure washing, priming and background color in 1.5 days on this THEN onto the wall design....POST THE DESIGN!

Last edited:

nolanola

I am glad to post the design but it does not exist yet.
I sent the estimate on Monday and have not heard from them yet.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
How in the world do you quote on something and have no idea what you're gonna be doing ??

Customer: I'd like to buy some meat. o_O
Maket: What kind ?? Chicken, beef, pork, venison ?? Oh, and how much ?? A pound, two pounds or ten pounds. :)
Customer : No idea, but it should be a lot. How much ?? :confused:

Johnny Best

You bid a painted wall job without a design, that's like a mail order bride, you don't know what your getting into. It might be the reproduction of a 20' whiskey bottle with a jungle motif background or a single 3" red dot on a white white wall.

visual800

how did you quote 20 hours for graphic design and not design anything and if it took 20 hours to design these walls then your quote for painting them is way off. Im kind of lost on this post

Johnny Best

Kinda lost, I'm lost, never quoted a wall job without knowing what was going to be put on it. Maybe that's where the expression came from about throwing it on the wall to see if it will stick.