• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wall mural with no overlap, butt registration?

sinclairgraphics1

Sinclair Graphics & Installations
So we have been asked to print and install a 10'x30' wall mural with no overlaps at all. This is something I've never had a customer request and I have not installed anything that didn't have an overlap. I told the client that the industry standard is 1/2" overlap but we could do 1/4". He said no, he wants it butt registration. Another local company was hired to install some other murals of his and had issues and had to redo it. So, my question is has anyone here done this on a large mural? It seems to me it would be extremely difficult since there would be zero tolerance and no forgiveness installing each panel. Has to be lined up exact, right on the money every time. I don't want to set us up for failure and end of re-doing it. Thoughts on this?

CanuckSigns

You can do this with phototex since it is a fabric, you install like normal with an overlap then take a knife and straight edge and cut the overlap off leaving a perfect butt joint, because it's fabric it won't shrink back like vinyl will. If he wants you to install vinyl without an overlap tell him he's out of his mind.

Terry01

Wallpaper doesn't shrink, vinyl does..Get him to sign a waiver stating no come back for vinyl shrinkage should it occur

As previously said, you can use phototex, or a less expensivw alternative is General Formulations Graphitex. It is fabric vs vinyl so install is slightly different, but put on with a 1” overlap, then with a new sharp blade cut through. You only get one shot at the cut to get you a perfect butt joint. You want to cut through both layers without cutting the wall. Just cut in the middle of the overlap. Peel small overlap piece off, then bottom piece. And will butt right up together. The material will fray if you don’t make a good clean cut. Click your blade each cut to make sure it super sharp. The material doesn’t stretch and any imperfections on the wall such as trash in the paint will be very obvious so make sure you go over the wall well prior to putting it on. No heat is needed as the material won’t stretch or shrink. Good lucj

Bly

I have a customer we print a bit of HP PVC Free Wallpaper for.
They always ask for no overlap butt join trimming.
Apparently it works well - it's pre pasted paper and is installed wet.
We do trim on our Zund though. You will want to make sure the joins are cut perfectly.
A Keencut or similar trimmer would probably work.

ams

When you trim out your vinyl and if your cut is even 0.001" off, it will show. Your customer are one of those people who don't like the look of overlaps and think a butt joint will be better looking. But what about over time the vinyl stretching and shrinking? It probably won't stay perfect. Tell him you are the professional and a 1/2" overlap is what you can do.

Sidney

So we have been asked to print and install a 10'x30' wall mural with no overlaps at all. This is something I've never had a customer request and I have not installed anything that didn't have an overlap. I told the client that the industry standard is 1/2" overlap but we could do 1/4". He said no, he wants it butt registration. Another local company was hired to install some other murals of his and had issues and had to redo it. So, my question is has anyone here done this on a large mural? It seems to me it would be extremely difficult since there would be zero tolerance and no forgiveness installing each panel. Has to be lined up exact, right on the money every time. I don't want to set us up for failure and end of re-doing it. Thoughts on this?
Hire an artist and have it Hand Painted :)

Jester1167

Premium Subscriber
As other people have stated you risk regular vinyl shrinking on the seam, but you also risk pulling paint when you pull out the overlap piece underneath. Especially if you cut too deep. I haven't done it myself, but I have heard that some use a layer or 2 of painters tape under the overlap area.

This is a lot of extra work and the client sounds picky so I would charge double so when they complain your covered.

I would also buy a selection of water based marks to touch up bad seams. That's what we use to fix scratches on wallpaper... You can blend them and if you mess up you can wipe it off, but it will wipe off if they have to wipe the wall down as well.

I always hate dealing with demanding clients. They are usually a fifty-fifty proposition, half the time they suck to work for and the other half they've been screwed before and just want to make sure you do a good job. You do slightly better than normal and they are over the top happy.

Good Luck.

a77

You can do this with phototex since it is a fabric, you install like normal with an overlap then take a knife and straight edge and cut the overlap off leaving a perfect butt joint, because it's fabric it won't shrink back like vinyl will. If he wants you to install vinyl without an overlap tell him he's out of his mind.

Have you actually done this and had good results?

SIGNTIME

Overlap or pass on job, sounds like one of those customer that will be upset you did what they asked for after advising them otherwise, and will surely badmouth any chance they get.

sinclairgraphics1

Sinclair Graphics & Installations
Overlap or pass on job, sounds like one of those customer that will be upset you did what they asked for after advising them otherwise, and will surely badmouth any chance they get.
I'm thinking you are correct. Is it really worth a few thousand dollars when you end up possibly having to re-do it? Then it becomes minus thousands. The clients are 2 artists so that's why they are the way they are.

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
I'm thinking you are correct. Is it really worth a few thousand dollars when you end up possibly having to re-do it? Then it becomes minus thousands. The clients are 2 artists so that's why they are the way they are.
It they're "artists", why don't they do it themselves? I just love customers who argue with the pros they came to for help- usually because they heard some buzzwords somewhere.
I think your options are:
A) Persuade them to do it correctly if they insist on vinyl.
B) Print it on wallcovering for the butt seam (but try installing some on a shop wall or something first to make sure you can do it, or be prepared to sub out the install) and charge accordingly.
C) Pass on the job (which it appears to be the way you're leaning).
Good luck with whichever you choose!

d fleming

With phototex you can put a small strip of thin styrene under the overlap and then cut with new xacto. It gives you a surface to cut without damaging wall. Do it a few times at your shop on scrap to get the feel for it and let er rip. I have one customer wall that has had four 8'x14' murals on it over a period of years and wall is still perfect under the print.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member

I have Jettex for doing 10' seemless wall graphics, its also a fabric so it won't shrink like vinyl would.

a77

With phototex you can put a small strip of thin styrene under the overlap and then cut with new xacto. It gives you a surface to cut without damaging wall. Do it a few times at your shop on scrap to get the feel for it and let er rip. I have one customer wall that has had four 8'x14' murals on it over a period of years and wall is still perfect under the print.
Thank you - I like this!

Grafix

Can you use a strip of Phototex for the same result? Will always have the off cuts from the trim.