• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wallpaper Printing/Installation

WrapItUp66

Hey everyone,

Our company is looking to do some of our walls using the DreamScape Terralon wallcovering material. I have read many articles saying to overlap (which is what we normally do on walls with vinyl) and trim the excess off while some say use a butt joint (just print the panels, align them and stick, no trimming needed). We are running a HP 360 Latex printer using Onyx ProductionHouse.

If we do butt joints we were going to do borderless prints using our ink collector and lay it. With that note how do you set up tiles and borderless print in Onyx Production House? We know how to tile but not for borderless. The software shows the edges of the print -2 in on each side or something like that. That is a given, borderless print, it is going to print 2 inches off each side but will the tiles still line up when we go to stick it or does the software not know how to adjust for borderless printing?

If we end up not borderless printing and leaving white on the sides, later trimming it on our table before we stick it, any suggestions on double cutting the wallpaper?

Thanks everyone,

Avery

Kwiksigns

wookie
If you do a butt joint, you are supposed to overlap them, then cut in the middle of the overlap and peel the bottom and top overlapped portion. Thus, leaving you with butted up panels. Do not try to do it any other way. It won't work.

Brink

Run tests by printing very small tiles say... 12" x 12". Then you can see what the result will be without the expense of full size mistakes.

bigben

If you do a butt joint, you are supposed to overlap them, then cut in the middle of the overlap and peel the bottom and top overlapped portion. Thus, leaving you with butted up panels. Do not try to do it any other way. It won't work.

+1 here.

WrapItUp66

That is what I thought. Overlap and then trim the overlap off leaving a butt joint. The issue with this wallpaper is that it is so thick that if you left the overlap (which you can't because it isn't adhesive backed) it will show lumps on the wall.

Any tips on trimming the panels on the wall? Some use scissors, some use a straight edge and a knife, some free hand. Like I said earlier, we normally just leave the overlap when we use IJ40C, 180Cv3, etc. The wall, like all walls, isn't perfectly straight. So putting a straight edge on it would make it bow a little and we all know how that ends. -_-

WrapItUp66

Run tests by printing very small tiles say... 12" x 12". Then you can see what the result will be without the expense of full size mistakes.

That is what I normally do. You can leave anything to chance with how much these materials cost.

bpatrick3

That is what I thought. Overlap and then trim the overlap off leaving a butt joint. The issue with this wallpaper is that it is so thick that if you left the overlap (which you can't because it isn't adhesive backed) it will show lumps on the wall.

Any tips on trimming the panels on the wall? Some use scissors, some use a straight edge and a knife, some free hand. Like I said earlier, we normally just leave the overlap when we use IJ40C, 180Cv3, etc. The wall, like all walls, isn't perfectly straight. So putting a straight edge on it would make it bow a little and we all know how that ends. -_-
Trim thru both layers and then remove the top trimmed piece and then lift an edge of your panel to get to the waste/trimmed piece behind yout panel and peel it off

T_K

I've never had success doing a butt joint without overlap.