• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Warehouse Sign - How should I make it?

fresh

My client currently has a 6ftx15ft sign on the exterior of their warehouse space (corrugated aluminum siding). Its 25ft up, so we are just looking at it from the ground, and it appears to be an aluminum pan frame with aluminum faces. We need to either replace the faces, which I know how to do, or present them with an entire new sign, which I will probably change the dimensions to 8x12ft.

We haven't done anything quite this big from scratch. Their current sign has lasted about 10 years, so I need something that will have a similar longevity. Its most likely going to be printed, I know its going to fade and that is okay.

Should I make another aluminum frame and use aluminum or polymetal faces? Is rigging a flex-face system a better option? Do you have any other ideas?

Thanks!

Billct2

Depends on the budget. If the current sign is in good condition I would clean, paint frame if needed and reface with ACM or just apply a print over it.

rjssigns

Depends on the budget. If the current sign is in good condition I would clean, paint frame if needed and reface with ACM or just apply a print over it.

This^^^

I just did exterior signage for a facility and reused most of the panels.

unclebun

If their current sign lasted 10 years, it most likely wasn't printed. So if color gradients or photos are not part of the design, and the customer is expecting 10 year life, don't print it. Use cast cut vinyl.

As to how the current sign is made, get on a ladder or a lift and go see. That's the only way to plan intelligently, not guessing from 25 feet away. And as to size, if you choose not to use the existing frame, check to be sure that the local sign ordinance will allow a larger sign. When you see odd sizes, sign ordinance restrictions are often the reason.

It's quite possible the current sign is made from 1" square aluminum tube made into a frame with .040" aluminum riveted over it. If so, you can take off the old aluminum skin replace it with new, and put it up on the same hardware as before. If you don't have a brake to bend the aluminum, you could also just rivet new flat faces over the old.

2B

is it illuminated?

would suggest doing whatever you are comfortable in producing.
however, a flex face is probably the best option if you do a new frame

Gino

Premium Subscriber
What Bill said. :thumb:

We also refurbished an 8' x 20' sign in this manner, recently. We've actually done it many times.

Also, if you take the old sign down from 10 years ago, I'm sure you're gonna have a mess to clean when the areas are exposed.

That existing sign at 6' x 15' would only take 3 full sheets.

visual800

First off does their logo match the size of the sign on the building (Is their logo square and are you trying to to put it on a rectangle) also PLEASE upload pics we cant imagine what this looks like

does it get sun? which way does it face? all this matters

jwilde

Also... taking old signs down doesn't mean the same sqft new sign can go up. If you're grandfathered in, you likely have less square foot allowance now. You can "Refurbish", but may not be able to build new/change.

I can guarantee it hasn't changed in favor of more over the 10 years. The fun part of doing signs... Selling it to the client, then selling it to the municipality.