• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Just In WARNING to anyone using a NAS, specifically QNAP

2B

There is a MASSIVE ransomware called QLOCKER and it is targeting QNAP users.

Be mindful and ensure your times are backed up.

We were hit and still trying to get it all sorted.........

ikarasu

$10 a month for unlimited google storage, and Qnap backs it up in real time.... If it finds a duplicate file (Like when ransomware takes over) It wont delete the old file, it'll just replicate it. Best investment ever for our business, I recommend looking into it in the future if you dont have a cloud backup option

WildWestDesigns

FreeNAS (well TrueNAS now) with snapshots.

Disable SMB (sucks though if on Windows).

Not connected to the WAN, LAN only (that also includes the computers that can "see" the NAS, why I also disable SMB because even if the drives aren't mapped on a specific computer, it is possible for it to still be "seen" by the computer and and thus can still be attacked if said computer has WAN access, although script kiddies are relatively low threat in this method).

I am not fan of online storage. Yes it is cheap compared to running your own server, yes it does have very much a convenience compared to running/maintaining your own server, I actually despise having my files on someone else's computer. Keeping everything offline is definitely a pain in the ass, but I have far more piece of mind then using any online provider (and there have been cases where online backup providers have been hit and their software that does the backups between host and client have been used as a vector to infect not only the backup files on the online backup provider,but their client's computers as well).

TXFB.INS

$10 a month for unlimited google storage, and Qnap backs it up in real time.... If it finds a duplicate file (Like when ransomware takes over) It wont delete the old file, it'll just replicate it. Best investment ever for our business, I recommend looking into it in the future if you dont have a cloud backup option

Which Google service is this?

The Google drive I'm using is pay by capacity

ikarasu

Which Google service is this?

The Google drive I'm using is pay by capacity
Gsuite for business.

https://support.google.com/a/answer/6034782?hl=en

They say there's a 1 TB limit for suites that have under 4 users... But it's not enforced and never has been. I have about 40 TB uploaded on a single account...and I know people with 300 TB uploaded.

It's nice... It gives unlimited photo backups, it's great to send huge files to customers, or high res video / photo galleries.

But the best part was already mentioned... We have a 40 TB Nas that stores all our graphics, customer files .. proofs.... Pretty much every company file from the last 10+ years. It'll sync to google in real time...the second there's a new file on the nas it starts to upload to gdrive. And google drive search is awesome, we can find files way faster using drive than windows search.

But... Don't rely on just google drive for backup. We also backup to blackblaze... Also around $10 a month nightly, as well as a remote server in my house with weekly backups. We're a bit overkill... You can likely get by with a external USB and google drive, or gdrive and blackblaze if you don't care about having a local backup to be up and running within 20 minutes.

fuzzy_cam

The Granbury Wrap & Sign Guy
Synology NAS here at the shop, Synology NAS at home, Google Drive Backup, all fairly instant backups. Snapshot replication enabled on both NAS's, Hyper Backup enabled to a USB HDD attached to the Synology NAS that gets a full cold storage backup once a week. Overkill? ;)