• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Warning when taking children to the zoo

slappy

Not sure how world wide this news has spread, but common sense when your at the zoo, don't let your child sit on the railing for a better view. We've went a few times to Pittsburgh Zoo with Ayden... never imagined anything like this, but this could have happened to anybody.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ujty-MS0d-8&feature=related

heartbreaking story, but it should be shared to protect our children.

My heart goes out to Maddox Derkosh's family. May he rest in peace.

Last edited:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Oh, that's just awful. I feel sorry for the family, losing their little one. RIP Maddox.

thinksigns

SnowFlake
It reminds me of the toddler that fell into the gorilla exhibit. Luckily that time the female gorilla protected the child from the males.

Ditchmiester

I've got a 20 Month old and we visited the Zoo's here in Chicago plenty this summer and I couldn't imagine something like this happening. I feel horrible for that Family.

Craig Sjoquist

This is very sad indeed... rest in peace

In 4th & 5 grade I was taught how to hop a train & did by 6th we were not allowed by then i was already taught about various dangers & how to avoid & was now working around machinery what type of clothing to wear or not for certain equipment.& how to drop & roll in a fall all kinds of stuff to keep myself safe when not around parents.

Now here a parent puts a child on a fence & does not hold on where there are wild dogs 11ft fall even has a fence to catch or stop the dogs in this case.

Tell me was this not a good idea. to risk setting a child on a dangerous fence.

I do feel we protect children to much but at the same point we do not teach them to be safe & think how to be safe when in risk situations.

Suz

What a horrible story. Yes, good thoughts going out to the family! Rest in peace little Angel!

Edna

this make me think of when I ran away from home for the first time when i was 16 and ended up in Los Angelis.

ThinkRight

Not sure how world wide this news has spread, but common sense when your at the zoo, don't let your child sit on the railing for a better view. We've went a few times to Pittsburgh Zoo with Ayden... never imagined anything like this, but this could have happened to anybody.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ujty-MS0d-8&feature=related

heartbreaking story, but it should be shared to protect our children.

My heart goes out to Maddox Derkosh's family. May he rest in peace.

I laughed when I read it.
The stupid parent put that child in danger !
And we have been told since I was a teen,that stupid people will eventually take themselves out of the gene pool !
/ sure the poor kid but...
Darwin was Right !

SignManiac

It's called a Michael Jackson. A variation of the hang your baby over the balcony railing three stories up. Parents should suffer for being so irresponsible. An accident that never should have happened.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Think.....

It's one thing to think the things you said, but to say you laughed when reading this..... ??

You're despicable.

A small life was lost due to careless parents.... yes, but to say you laughed is inexcusable.

And we have been told since I was a teen,that stupid people will eventually take themselves out of the gene pool !
Darwin was Right !

Pat Whatley

Think.....

It's one thing to think the things you said, but to say you laughed when reading this..... ??

You're despicable.

A small life was lost due to careless parents.... yes, but to say you laughed is inexcusable.
Darwin was Right !
:goodpost:

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
If I dropped my two year old child from an eleven foot deck and he bounced twice off a net before falling I would have been over that fence so fast I may have caught him.

If not I sure as hell would have protected him as long as I could...

John L

Darwin was Right !

Holy Hell... Are you serious man? ...Too much TV?

GVP

Darwin was Right !

What an a'hole..

slappy

There seems to be two responses: sympathy or judgement. I admit, when we took Ayden to the zoo, we went to Cleveland in 2010 and Pittsburgh last year in 2011, Ayden was 2 or 3 depending the year.. and in the stroller both times, we constantly had to lift him up to see alot of things at the zoo, never sat him on the rail cause daddy has muscles, but things aren't built to accommodate the height of toddlers. Plus Maddox wore glasses. So i'm sure he struggled to see. It's not funny. As a mother myself, i couldn't imagine the thoughts flooding those parents at this time. Why he slipped, i don't know, but it happened. But common sense, that is a dangerous position to set a toddler in, and if you do, you better hold on and hold on tight. I'm sure we have maybe all done something that could have turned completely tragic but didn't and we weren't aware of it till something happened to someone else, . I'm sure plenty of parents have let their children sit on that same rail to watch. Its not like its caged off. Its an overlook. But now something has happened, and this mother is taking the blame for it all.. I mean holding a 20-30 lb toddler all day is a task, maybe she sat him there needing a rest from her arms and without thinking, i think those are round beams in that overlook, and he just slipped though her hands.....

Look at his picture ThinkRight... laugh at that if you need a laugh. I don't find it funny.

ThinkRight

Ok let me restate that.
I did not laugh out loud and grin and smile.
I read the article a couple of days ago and was thinking how comical it is at the stupidity some people exhibit .
No common sense, no regard for the safety of people,victim mentality.
I have no sympathy for that.
Accidents happen , that was not an accident.
I have become a cynical _________.
I have sympathy for tragedy, not stupidity.
If that lady sues the zoo and wins lots of money, how will you feel then ?