• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Warranty / Head Replacement

Marie

Our JV33-130 is now 1 year old (out of warranty), and we received a letter offering an extended warranty through Mimaki. What has been anyone's experience with the life/reliability of the print heads on your machine? Our original JV3-160 has been a work horse with very few head issues in the 9 years we have had it. We would like to expect the same from of JV33-130. What are thoughts on the extended warranty program? Thanks for your input.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I usually see 3 to 5 years out of these heads depending on use and how well the machine is maintained. I have seen some fail earlier due to high use(3 shifts a day 7 days a week which the machine is not designed for), poor maintenance(most common reason for failure) and/or bad head strikes. If you change your dampers and cap top at least once a year you can avoid a lot of problems.

The Mimaki extended warranty costs about as much as a new print head, maybe a little less, so you run the risk of not needing one and not getting the full value out of your warranty. On the other hand, all of the other parts are covered under the warranty and it may be worth the piece of mind. So if you don't get the warranty and need a head later on you will be paying about the same as you would if you just paid for the warranty but you may run into other problems that end up costing more in the long run.

If I were running a shop with a JV33 and didn't get the warranty I would have a separate savings account with about $3500 in it as a form of self insurance for yearly emergencies. $3500 is enough to get a print head if needed and will cover most other parts on top of a head. If you don't end up using it, it makes a great way to have a down payment on a new machine when you want to upgrade.

heyskull

We looked at service contracts and extended warranties on our machine.
But when you add it all up it was cheaper to buy a new print head and all the other parts that wear out.
Good maintenance is all you need.

SC

Marie

Thank you! With our regular cleaning/maintenance and the track record of our old Mimaki (so reliable), an extended warranty does seem like a waste if the new one does as well.