• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Wasted material on margins! Help

Alright guys, I am using a graphtec ce6000-60 24" cutter with SAI Flexi, When I print onto my 24" media with registration marks to cutout a design, I am wasting a few inches on my right side margin.

When I load the media the scroll head on the cutter can only scroll so the blade reaches the push roller, however the registration mark sensor is about 2" to the left of the blade, So the only way I have found to work with this as of now is to design on 22" media and waste those 2-3" on the right side. Has anyone had a solution to this? It would be nice if I could have my registration mark be right on the edge of that push roller so I am using all the material as possible.

Thanks in advance!

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
If you can do 22" on a 24" cutter you're doing better than most.

There should be a setting, not sure if it's a feature of your model Graphtec and I can't for the life of me recall what it's called, that lets you expand the tool travel a bit on the Y axis. If you can do 22" it's probably already set. Other than that, live with it. In the printing business it's called 'gripper', in the vinyl business it's called 'waste'.

Apropos of nothing, it's 'tool carriage', not 'scroll head', and it's 'pinch roller', not 'push roller' [they also pull]. Knowing the nomenclature is half of all understanding.

bannertime

I'm pretty sure bob is talking about the "Expand" setting. Should be under the "Area" section of the menu. Ours is currently set at .34 something. I believe the CE has a similar menu. I regularly get 23.4" on a 24in roll, but that's just cut vinyl. I also put the outside of the wheel about an 1/8" from the edge instead of the recommended 1/4". I don't do ARMS cutting on material smaller than 30in, however I like to have the marks about 1" from the edge. If the mark goes under the outside rollers, sometimes we get problems. In total you should maybe loose an 1.5"-1.75" on each side including the marks. With that said, you're probably already maxed out on cut space.

papabud

Lone Wolf
i normally use cut vinyl in the 30" size. i am comfortable with setting the cut area to 28.5 but i can milk it to a little over 29 if i have to. but i prefer my comfort zone. my printed media is 54" if i am cutting it i set my page size to 50" this gives the extra room for the lamination to not have to be perfect and room for all the cutter marks and "pinch" rollers to do their thing.
i have yet to find a reason other than saving a few pennies to try to push everything to the max limits. that only causes issues and head aches.
i come from the commercial printing press world and this gripper area was always figured in to the scrap of a job. and normally billed accordingly