• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Waves in Optically Clear Adhesive

Explon

Hello!
I am wondering if anyone here has encountered a particular issue with optically clear adhesive (used for second surface mounting to acrylic or glass). It seems when I get to the last third or so of the roll that parallel waves appear in the adhesive. These waves run the entire width of the adhesive. I've tried two different products (from Kapco and LexJet) but that doesn't make a difference (nor does the width of the roll, I use 51 and 60 inch rolls).

After opening the rolls I store them vertically on end. I haven't encountered this issue in previous places I've worked (but back then I wasn't doing nearly as much 2nd surface mounting). It's aggravating because the ripples show up in the mounted pieces and are unusable. And, as you know, that optically clear adhesive is rather expensive. My current hypothesis is that it has to do with temperature/humidity regarding storage.

Attached is a photo of the material rolled out on a table with brown craft paper underneath for better visibility.

Thanks!!

Attachments

• Waves_01.jpg
    Waves_01.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 270

ColorPirate001

Sign Pro in training
It could just be a bad batch of material. So far from what I have ran, I have noticed similar problems with ripples and sometimes tears that just came from the factory. We have gotten rolls of clear material that have stretch marks, holes, rips, you name it. Sometimes it just happens from production. Someone at the factory bumped it or dropped something onto it while it was still warm or maybe even had too much tension on it. From the photo it looks like too much tension of some kind. Just an observation and a thought. Maybe try a different brand or batch number if you can. See if you get the same problem. We also store our rolls staning up and on the plastic end caps they come packaged with. Hope I helped you a little.

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Hello!
I am wondering if anyone here has encountered a particular issue with optically clear adhesive (used for second surface mounting to acrylic or glass). It seems when I get to the last third or so of the roll that parallel waves appear in the adhesive. These waves run the entire width of the adhesive. I've tried two different products (from Kapco and LexJet) but that doesn't make a difference (nor does the width of the roll, I use 51 and 60 inch rolls).

After opening the rolls I store them vertically on end. I haven't encountered this issue in previous places I've worked (but back then I wasn't doing nearly as much 2nd surface mounting). It's aggravating because the ripples show up in the mounted pieces and are unusable. And, as you know, that optically clear adhesive is rather expensive. My current hypothesis is that it has to do with temperature/humidity regarding storage.

Attached is a photo of the material rolled out on a table with brown craft paper underneath for better visibility.

Thanks!!

PM your pricing, my brand might make a difference if it's in the same range.

Chasez

By the looks of it you're using polyester optically clear?? We see that in safety/security films... has something to do with not being wound tight on the core... this may come from user error not winding tight on the core or it comes from the factory this way (have seen both cases). It could also be that it was not wound straight on the core from the factory and has a twist and over time it separates the liner from the material. We have seen this many times in optically clear medias as well as frosts. There is nothing you can do other than send it back and get another roll.. I know its a major pain but other than finding another manufacturer you're pretty much SOL. Have you tried the 3M IJ 8150? It is a printable optically clear vinyl.

Chaz