• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

way to high?

just had someone tell me my quote was "way to high" when i thought i was doing them a favor because its a friend of a friend.

its for the window and door to a small store. The logo is 16sf. printed on 3951 with 290 lam. There was gold lettering in a few different spots totaling about another 12sf. I quoted them $500 installed and its 35 minutes from my shop. I thought i was doing them a favor. Is that in the ballpark for what you would have charged.

J

john1

Damn $500 lol

I'd have to see a concept and all before saying anything officially but seems kinda high. I am thinking something like that would be a few hundred bucks, Not $500.

Figure 16sq ft would for example be a 4x4' square and then 12 sq ft would be a 6x2' rectangle.

Are we talking cut vinyl over digital for the gold? Is it metallic gold or gold leaf?

Flame

Lil high buddy. I'd have to see a visual to say for sure...but yah seems high. And why the **** you using premium wrap material and laminate for window lettering? They'll probably go out of business before those decals peel. Heck it'll fade first. A wee overkill IMO.

Using the 3951 cause i have plenty of it here and the gold is almost $9.00 a sf. So at 125 for materials then the time to design, print, laminate, cut, cut the gold, mask it, remove the old decals, clean, and install it doesn't seem high. I price this the same as every other job, maybe I have been getting lucky, who knows? That's why I asked.

Bigdawg

Just Me
Using the 3951 cause i have plenty of it here and the gold is almost $9.00 a sf. So at 125 for materials then the time to design, print, laminate, cut, cut the gold, mask it, remove the old decals, clean, and install it doesn't seem high. I price this the same as every other job, maybe I have been getting lucky, who knows? That's why I asked.

Just because you have the material, doesn't make it cost-effective for the customer. I would have used 3651 and come in whole lot cheaper than that...

J

john1

Oh now we are removing the old decals on the windows? That changes the game lol Still need to see a visual to see if it's high or not but since your traveling, removing old vinyl and installing new it may not be too high. Not low but not high either.

Damn $500 lol

I'd have to see a concept and all before saying anything officially but seems kinda high. I am thinking something like that would be a few hundred bucks, Not $500.

Figure 16sq ft would for example be a 4x4' square and then 12 sq ft would be a 6x2' rectangle.

Are we talking cut vinyl over digital for the gold? Is it metallic gold or gold leaf?

its gold leaf and the 12sq ft is words and phone numbers 5 or 6 different areas i think. I didn't do the design just quoted what they asked for real quick in my head because i was out all day. Ill do a quick design and post it later to see if that changes anyone's mind.

acothran

I understand wanting to use what you have on hand but in fairness to the customer and to figure a "market value", you should price it according to the correct media for the job. If you use Oracal 3165/210 laminate your final printed cost is going to be about half of 3951/290.

A $100 window decal doesn't become a $200 window decal just because it's printed on cast vinyl. Now, if the customer says they want the best vinyl for their window decal, you can use the cast, charge a premium, and not bother to tell them it's overkill.

Allen

Here's the 2 minute design. I forgot to mention before the gold is outlined with black.

Attachments

• cozzecakes.jpg
    cozzecakes.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 93
I understand wanting to use what you have on hand but in fairness to the customer and to figure a "market value", you should price it according to the correct media for the job. If you use Oracal 3165/210 laminate your final printed cost is going to be about half of 3951/290.

A $100 window decal doesn't become a $200 window decal just because it's printed on cast vinyl. Now, if the customer says they want the best vinyl for their window decal, you can use the cast, charge a premium, and not bother to tell them it's overkill.

Allen

I am only using it because i have a bunch here, but they did tell me to use the best materials possible, hence the real gold. They make very high end cakes that cost much more then the decals were talking about. I guess thats why i am so surprised by their reaction to the price.

I would say $500 isn't bad considering all the information provided now...especially with the removal of existing graphics.

So they choked at the price and are going somewhere else now?

I don't really know for sure. It sounded like they wanted to get another quote. I have had plenty of people not accept the price i threw out there but she seemed truly offended at first. That's the only reason i wanted some other opinions on it.

mikefine

What about the site survey (measurement)? That was 2 hours out of your day right there.

Design and concepts, with emails -- probably an hour and a half. Printing and production, another hour. Installation and removal with travel, parking and setting up, 2.5 more hours, easy. With administrative... billing, deposits and collection, .5 hour. This is a six hour job.

$150 at least with gas and materials.

Leaves you $350 for 6 hours work. That gives you about $55.00/hr to make a profit.
What is your shop overhead?

What about the site survey (measurement)? That was 2 hours out of your day right there.

Design and concepts, with emails -- probably an hour and a half. Printing and production, another hour. Installation and removal with travel, parking and setting up, 2.5 more hours, easy. With administrative... billing, deposits and collection, .5 hour. This is a six hour job.

$150 at least with gas and materials.

Leaves you $350 for 6 hours work. That gives you about $55.00/hr to make a profit.
What is your shop overhead?

I have been using $60.00/HR that's how i came to my initial price

Flame

Wait gold leaf...explain here. Are you applying TRUE gold leaf? If so, crank that price wayyyy up. Or are you referring to SignGold, or..?

And seriously 3651 will be fine. The ink will fade before that 3951 will have issues.

The gold is the key factor here that could make or break where you are on pricing.

Out There

I think your pricing is just fine..I would be a tad bit lower..but my over head is quite low.

Also removal seems to never ever go as planned :).

It was for sign gold not gold leaf. I know 3651 will work but I'm out so I was just going to use 3951. Although it will be here Thursday and I'm not sure if I'm even getting the job. Doesn't look good.

Craig Sjoquist

Seems low to me ..& many think it is high so about right maybe.

Look people we are talking advertisements 2 of them one with gold, & your spending money to buy vinyl & gold plus on site work.

Advertisements have value this type of ad will produce 25% of sales in a period of time & keep on producing sales long after would you pay a $1.50 a day for about a year, this is how you sell them what it cost a day if they think it is high , just think what have you paid for $500 of service.. get a car or truck fixed, how about a plumber do a bit of work or a electrician, seen a doctor lately.

Why should prices be lower then what they were in the 80s when the letters are computer font perfect

SignosaurusRex

"Way to high"...? Based on what and by whom? WTF do they know? You should know what is right and fair and by what I can tell I would say you are giving them the friends friend deal. Tell them to go get it elsewhere...plain and simple. Friends "friends" are always looking for something for nothing and if you give, they will continue to take.