• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

We have a vaccine

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Is that why my poor Inovio stocks are down AGAIN another 15% this morning? Ugh.

Stocks aside, I sure hope someone gets this right soon.

Jeff grossman

Living the dream
Hope it works on the new strains, Germany identified a new strain going around Europe. It’s morphed a few times over there

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
While the news seems promising, the clinical trials are not finished. Even if the 90% efficacy rate holds up and even with emergency authorization applied to speed up delivery to the public we're not going to see this vaccine widely available until Spring 2021 at the earliest. In the meantime all of us need to be taking this pandemic a lot more seriously. We could be in for a very difficult and tragic winter.

I can't even believe how the situation has worsened here in Oklahoma over the past few days. The state set one record of daily SARS-CoV-2 cases on Thursday with 2101 new cases. And then on Saturday they utterly smashed that record with over 4500 new cases. 4507 to be exact, after spending an extra day going through the data. The state health department didn't issue numbers for Sunday because they were so swamped having to audit Saturday's figures. Here in Comanche County we reported 154 new cases on Saturday (a new daily record), bringing us up to 473 active cases. We had only 96 active cases on Sept 1. We've done relatively well locally with the case fatality rate, 22 deaths so far. But 5 of those deaths have happened since Oct 31. As of last week all of our local hospitals have adopted a strict no visitors policy. Just across the Red River in Wichita Falls the situation is even more grim; they've had 68 COVID-19 deaths and currently have over 1700 active cases. That's for a small city of just over 100,000 people. We seem to be at a pretty serious inflection point on the disease trend, going on an even steeper climb uphill.

• Agree
Reactions: Bly

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Vaccines......... are ya really gonna take it ?? I won't. I don't take the regular flu vaccine and I've never had it. I don't believe in them anymore. Stay safe and stay healthy seems like the best remedy. If I get it, I get it. Nothing I can do about it. That's not a defeatist attitude, either. It's more realistic than hiding in a bubble the rest of your life. I will wear a mask when I go into a grocery store or something similar. These people wearing masks while driving, (they're alone in the car) while walking down a country road and whatnot..... are just plain nuts. There are 15 different recipes for contracting this crap and no one knows, so just be safe and don't do anything dumb.

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
Im not afraid of the vaccine. I don't want to be one of the people in the hospital with tubes and all...thats my fear there. Im being careful, advising the same with my employees and family. Thankfully we have been lucky within our group and families here at my shop. I wish the same for everyone else out there and hope all loved ones and close friends are ok.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
You wouldn't think the situation is "grim" in Wichita... news says very little about it. United Regional is doing OK. El Paso is where we're hearing they are in trouble... not up here

unclebun

While the news seems promising, the clinical trials are not finished. Even if the 90% efficacy rate holds up and even with emergency authorization applied to speed up delivery to the public we're not going to see this vaccine widely available until Spring 2021 at the earliest. In the meantime all of us need to be taking this pandemic a lot more seriously. We could be in for a very difficult and tragic winter.

I can't even believe how the situation has worsened here in Oklahoma over the past few days. The state set one record of daily SARS-CoV-2 cases on Thursday with 2101 new cases. And then on Saturday they utterly smashed that record with over 4500 new cases. 4507 to be exact, after spending an extra day going through the data. The state health department didn't issue numbers for Sunday because they were so swamped having to audit Saturday's figures. Here in Comanche County we reported 154 new cases on Saturday (a new daily record), bringing us up to 473 active cases. We had only 96 active cases on Sept 1. We've done relatively well locally with the case fatality rate, 22 deaths so far. But 5 of those deaths have happened since Oct 31. As of last week all of our local hospitals have adopted a strict no visitors policy. Just across the Red River in Wichita Falls the situation is even more grim; they've had 68 COVID-19 deaths and currently have over 1700 active cases. That's for a small city of just over 100,000 people. We seem to be at a pretty serious inflection point on the disease trend, going on an even steeper climb uphill.

You all are just a little behind the curve. It's spreading to more rural states last. Here to your northeast, we had a steady increase in daily cases through the summer. Then this fall there was a sharp increase in the numbers of positive tests each day. But if you note the daily deaths graph, there is a sharp falloff to quite low levels.
covid nov.jpg

The last week, the daily death rate has averaged 8, against a daily new case rate of well over 3000 positive tests. The current (not cumulative) death rate is 0.2%, deaths per positive test. I believe this is borne out by our experience in our town. A month or two ago was when it started really going through town. We'd had cases all summer long among the restaurant and bar employees, but it seemed to circulate mainly among them. Perhaps when school started it jumped out of that segment of the population into the rest through the kids. Our church had one week where we went from no members having had it to about 40 in one week. So we stopped having services for a couple of weeks. Ultimately about 80-100 of our normal weekly attendance of 250 had it that they knew of. One had to be in the hospital for a couple of days, but is fine now. The rest all got over it and we're back to regular schedule. I think that although the hospital did have more covid patients during those few weeks than at any other time since it started, and there were a number of deaths in the community, particularly among residents of one nursing home that got it, they were able to handle it and it's back more to normal again. Now the weekly case count is on the decline again.

If your community hasn't experienced an outbreak of covid yet, I expect the pattern will be similar when it does. My inlaws live in suburban/rural Kansas City area, and their area experienced an outbreak about the same time we did. They are elderly, obviously, and have health problems like obesity and type 2 diabetes. They got it, and although they got sicker than most of my peers, mainly the feeling of tiredness that came each afternoon, they also got over it. It ran through many of their friends and family and church, but their experience was like ours. Pretty much everyone eventually got over it. My father in a very rural south Missouri town had to be in a nursing home during that time period while my mother had surgery. I got daily covid updates from the nursing home by text. They were testing residents twice a week and employees three times a week. There were a handful of employees who tested positive, maybe 6 over a period of a month and a half. A couple of residents tested positive. None had to go to hospital, none died.

As far as the immunization for covid, I suspect that most elderly people who already get flu shots every year should probably and will probably get the immunization. If your community hadn't yet had a large scale outbreak of the virus and you want to avoid the possibility of a few weeks/months of people being sick, then that community ought to try to immunize everybody or almost everybody. If your community has already had it run through, those who didn't get it the first time around might consider getting immunized so they aren't vulnerable if it makes another go-round.

Once everybody has had some immune experience with the virus, I predict it will fall back to the level of other cold viruses, like the other coronaviruses and the rhinoviruses. And it will probably have a seasonal pattern, unlike now when nobody has immune experience with it. But by the second or third year, unless we keep up with making everybody test and isolate like we are now, it will be pretty indiscernible on the viral illness landscape. If we keep slowing its spread, it will take far longer for it to fall below the radar.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
unclebun said:
You all are just a little behind the curve. It's spreading to more rural states last. Here to your northeast, we had a steady increase in daily cases through the summer. Then this fall there was a sharp increase in the numbers of positive tests each day. But if you note the daily deaths graph, there is a sharp falloff to quite low levels.

Specifically in the case of Oklahoma, the incidence of SARS-CoV-2 infections stayed very low until the end of May. June into late July was our first "wave," which was very modest compared to many other states. August saw the wave calm down a bit before an upswing around Labor Day. New confirmed cases, the rate of hospitalizations and deaths have all been steadily increasing since then. The rate of hospitalizations in particular are hitting new records and hospitals across the state are quickly running out of beds and treatment capacity.

So far Oklahoma's SARS-CoV-2 case fatality rate has stayed relatively low. The rate has stayed low for two reasons. Scientists and medical personnel are continuing to learn how to treat COVID-19 more effectively. The second reason is our state's hospitals have had enough spare treatment capacity (personnel, beds, etc) to handle the COVID-19 workload on top of their usual treatment burdens (Oklahoma is one of the least healthy states in the nation after all). If the hospitals get overwhelmed with COVID-19 patients the fatality rate dramatically increases. When medical staff get infected with SARS-CoV-2 and sidelined by COVID-19 that also worsens the COVID-19 fatality rate. Not only that, but the death rate for other medical issues (heart attack, stroke, trauma, etc) also increases when a hospital is strained past its limits.

Nationwide the COVID-19 death rate has been averaging in the 700-1200 deaths per day range since July, which seems a lot better than the 2000+ deaths per day rates we were seeing in April. Medical experts are warning the daily numbers of deaths may increase sharply if we continue to see daily case levels and hospitalizations keep rising.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Pfizer released a study today that their vaccine is 90% effective after 7 days. Stocks are up over 6%.
Man, that Biden is good. Hasn't even been seated and it looks like he is about to have the virus on the run.......

Hope it works, we could use some help. Every round of testing is showing up hundreds of new cases.
Over 300 cases out of one construction company just this week. I figure everyone is going to get it here sooner or later.
Gonna be an exciting holiday season.

• Agree

Bly

What I find crazy as an outsider is seeing how the health crisis has been politicised like it has in the US.
I really wish for the best over there but it's going to take some big measures to contain the pandemic now.
Hopefully an effective vaccine is rolled out sooner than later.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
GAC05 said:
Man, that Biden is good. Hasn't even been seated and it looks like he is about to have the virus on the run.......

Pfizer (and its European partner) didn't take any government money or government involvement in the development of its vaccine. The timing is all coincidence. If anything, I'd say the announcement is more than a bit premature. If there was any motivation about making an announcement early it was 100% about keeping up appearances Pfizer is staying ahead of its rivals. More than a dozen other rival companies a far along with their own SARS-CoV-2 vaccines.

I think the announcement was premature because it will be what seems like a painfully long time before Pfizer's vaccine is widely available to the general public. Best case scenario: maybe by December (or late December) the vaccine will be initially available on an emergency basis to health care workers and first responders. They get dibs on the first doses. Pfizer then spreads it out to the most vulnerable members of our population. We could be well into Spring of 2021 before any of us "average, relatively healthy adults" can visit a clinic to get inoculated.

Here's another thing that's going to severely complicate delivering this new vaccine to the public: the vaccine requires extremely cold storage to stay viable, a temperature below -70°C (or -94°F). FedEx announced they're going to retrofit some of their trucks and jets to be able to deliver the vaccine. I think USPS is trying to gear up the same way. It's going to take time for the delivery infrastructure to be set up for this. From what I've heard, some of the rival vaccines in development also require this same kind of extreme cold storage.

GAC05 said:
Hope it works, we could use some help. Every round of testing is showing up hundreds of new cases.

The situation is getting really scary. Some of the states in the Northern Plains (the Dakotas, Iowa, etc) are currently seeing over 40% of all SARS-CoV-2 tests coming back as positive. We need to have the positivity rate at or below 5% to be making any progress against the spread of this virus.

Bly said:
What I find crazy as an outsider is seeing how the health crisis has been politicised like it has in the US.

Australia and New Zealand both have done a far better job at dealing with the SARS-CoV-2 pandemic than most nations. They saw the threat and took it very seriously very early. The US government made a long list of stupid mistakes and those mistakes cost many thousands of Americans their lives.

Last edited:

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
Australia and New Zealand both have done a far better job at dealing with the SARS-CoV-2 pandemic than most nations. They saw the threat and took it very seriously very early. The US government made a long list of stupid mistakes and those mistakes cost many thousands of Americans their lives

As much as we like to rag on government action (or inaction) a lot of the positive results are based on a populace that is willing to listen to the experts and follow some temporary rules to ensure the greater good of society.

Val47

Vaccines......... are ya really gonna take it ?? I won't. I don't take the regular flu vaccine and I've never had it. I don't believe in them anymore. Stay safe and stay healthy seems like the best remedy. If I get it, I get it. Nothing I can do about it. That's not a defeatist attitude, either. It's more realistic than hiding in a bubble the rest of your life. I will wear a mask when I go into a grocery store or something similar. These people wearing masks while driving, (they're alone in the car) while walking down a country road and whatnot..... are just plain nuts. There are 15 different recipes for contracting this crap and no one knows, so just be safe and don't do anything dumb.

Agreed.
That said, I just want something for the rest of the world to accept, calm down, and get back to normal. If that can even happen, but the forbidding people to hang out with their friends is just not realistic. I've been good, I'm (we're) kind of home bodies.
In the before times, we did used to hang out with friends more, we did used to let our kid visit friends, we did used to....
Cant wait for normal to either be better, or masked. just want to go bowling, and maybe a small house party with friends (that generally grows). Again, reality - that won't happen, but hey - we used to attend house parties. sometimes someone got sick because the flu was going around. I want the "novel" thing to loose it's novelty.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
SignMeUpGraphics said:
As much as we like to rag on government action (or inaction) a lot of the positive results are based on a populace that is willing to listen to the experts and follow some temporary rules to ensure the greater good of society.

I agree that much of a successful response to a pandemic depends greatly on individual citizens to do their part to play along rather than exercising their FREE-DUMBS to be contrarian jerks. Nevertheless, when it comes to the United States' response to the SARS-CoV-2 pandemic the US government fully deserves a great deal of blame for the FAILED response. We're talking a full-on s#!+_show here.

If anyone wants the general public of a nation to go along with a plan to fight a pandemic that nation can't really afford to have its President and members of a political party either denying the pandemic exists or playing down the threat ("seasonal flu kills just as many people"). That nation can't afford a bunch of conflicting, inconsistent messaging.

The United States already has one of the most individualistic cultures in the world (a culture that regularly slips into degenerate narcissism, IMHO). So when our nation's leaders are not at all on the same page many of that nation's citizens decide something like pandemic response is a negotiable choice. They divide into their own tribal camps and then just do whatever they feel like doing. And they're encouraged by people on their choice of cable news channel, Internet "news" web site or social media echo chamber.

The US Government made all kinds of other mistakes early in this pandemic. There's the CDC and its first SARS-CoV-2 test kits it demanded our health care industry use exclusively -test kits which turned out to be defective. The first cases confirmed in Washington state were confirmed with privately made tests, not anything from the CDC. The US Government didn't start getting serious about this pandemic until well into March. By then it was too late. Our President likes to pat himself on the back about his China travel ban. First it was a Swiss-Cheese ban that applied only to Chinese nationals trying to enter the US. It didn't apply to anyone else traveling to the US from China. Derp!!! By the time the ban went into effect SARS-CoV-2 outbreaks had already been seeded in Washington state and in New York City. And the NYC cases came over from Europe. Even after the pandemic picked up steam in the United States our government here continued to make more and more stupid mistakes.

• Agree

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I do believe this thread is heading right down the toilet, like so many other threads, when people start acting as if they really know who is to blame or who did or did not do this or that.

Do any of you realize, there can never be a return to what we once knew, how we lived or how we acted ?? How many times has it been said, if the weak wanna lay down and act defeated, just be prepared for progress to just step over you and pass you by. Roll over and get outta the way...... nothing stops, except for the weak. Weak minded people will never move forward, cause they're always looking backwards.

If anyone here lived through the pandemic of 1918, speak up. These last few so-called pandemics were nothing more then silent runs, but no one wants to prepare for such things. Someone (name your country of origin) was just testing the waters nad has finally landed a harsh blow. Where, for God's sake, has ALL of this come from..... and you're all still too stupid to understand simple facts ?? But you wanna act like ya have a handle on the outcome ?? Please folks, just either move over and get outta the way, or just press forward.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I won't take the vaccine because I've never taken a flu shot. I have had the flu a couple times, once I thought I was going to die, but I lived.

In the beginning I was very careful, now I just social distance a bit and wear the mask when I need to. I still SWEAR we had it in February. "Something" went through 5 households, curtesy of my sons. Three adults almost in the hospital for breathing problems and I brought my youngest to the doctor, he diagnosed him with the start of pneumonia, bronchitis, the puking flu and "some kind of virus" he had no idea if he had a virus or how he would get all these at one time. Fever, body aches, puking, diarrhea, pneumonia, bronchitis, tired for 2 weeks, sore throat (not strep). 18 of us had the same symptoms in one severity or another. Not a single one of us 18 has had Corona yet. I've had MANY close contacts as had my sons. I should really get the antivirus test to know for sure...or for kinda sure, if it mostly works LOL

TopFliteGraphics

So let me get this straight, they are touting a vaccine that has a 90% efficacy rate as huge news. You know what else has a better than 90% efficacy rate? The Human Immune System against this virus! As a matter of fact, it has a better than 99% success rate for people under 70. I now know several people (all under 70) that have "tested positive" and only a couple were sick for more than 2-3 days and that was at the very beginning of the "pandemic". Most never even knew they "had the Rona."

"CDC recently updated estimated infection fatality rates for COVID. Here are the updated survival rates by age group:

0-19: 99.997%
20-49: 99.98%
50-69: 99.5%
70+: 94.6% https://t.co/9RRLgsBHta

— Ron DeSantis (@GovRonDeSantis) September 23, 2020

That means that for people 69 years old or younger, the survival rate is between 99.5 percent and 99.997 percent, while for those 70 or older, it is an estimated 94.6 percent."

I get it that when the virus first seemed to hit the world in January/February it presented a threat due to lack of treatment knowledge and it was pretty darn frightening. I say it that way because at least 3 of the people I know that had it, actually had it in December. They were actually VERY sick around Christmas and one still had breathing problems over 6 weeks later. One was in fact a 17 year old that ended up in the hospital twice and they could not figure out what he had. His father was the one dealing with symptoms for 6 weeks after "getting over it." Personally, I think the fact that he smokes quite a bit might have something to do with his lingering issues at the time. And to any of you skeptics, they are not just saying they had it, they actually got the antibody tests to verify it. BTW - I had many interactions with him during this time period and I never got sick. Shook his hand several times, sat down and went over things in close proximity at my desk (going over art and stuff).

Now, however, give me a break. It is a known quantity which has very effective treatment options. By then again, I guess Covid-19 seems to have done its job and The Bad Orange Man has seemingly been voted out of office. Not saying Phizer's announcement is bogus but isn't it convenient that it occurred less than one week after Election Day.

Last edited: