• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Weekend Work

WildWestDesigns

I don't usually get to do digitizing requests like this that often, so I thought I would post this one up.

Customer supplied the photo of her client's dobro on the left side and on the right is the digitized version that I created. I did simplify around the resonator. I used a 3 color blend on the base itself to give it a wood grain look.

The overall specs on the design is 7" x 2" and the stitch count is around 21k. It is for shirt/jacket backs and my client is going to add the text later.

Attachments

• Dobro Comparison.jpg
    Dobro Comparison.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 154

WildWestDesigns

Wow, looks good! I think they'll be quite thrilled when they see it.

Thanks. They were very happy with the results.

I liked doing designs with blends. It really shows what is capable in embroidery.

Another one that I did awhile back. 4 color blend. First one is the source file, second is the simulated view from my software, 3rd is actual stitch out.

Attachments

• Lineman.jpg
    Lineman.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 115

JBusch260

Great rendering! The capabilities of embroidery can be amazing. I wish we did that at my place. Keep up the good work! :thumb:

I'm not familiar with embroidery software, but when it comes to the different shades, do you manually change the flow of the stitching, or does it do it automatically? Or both?

WildWestDesigns

Great rendering! The capabilities of embroidery can be amazing. I wish we did that at my place. Keep up the good work! :thumb:

Thank you kindly.

I'm not familiar with embroidery software, but when it comes to the different shades, do you manually change the flow of the stitching, or does it do it automatically? Or both?

The software can generate it's own stitch angles, however, it doesn't look at the overall big picture, so it's really better to do all this type of stuff manually. It's actually better to do all digitizing manually or semi-manually then it is to rely on the computer software. Even as expensive as my software is, if you automatically digitize something as simple as a vector circle, it can cause issues with stitch quality unless you know how to clean it up (or have the modules that give you the ability to clean it up efficiently).

The bad thing to designs like this one, especially the "lineman" design, is that they are typically not very production friendly. More trims then usually, because you are going for a finished effect. The dobro was more production friendly due to the break in the blends. All of the segments in the lineman had blends, so it wasn't ideal for cutting down on the trims.

WildWestDesigns

mmm..i'm dribbling here....beautiful dobro & really amazing stitching..thats impressive work..

I appreciate the kind words.

I really like this type of work. Takes longer to digitize and sometimes longer to stitch out, but it's different and not used much compared to corporate logos.

JBusch260

The software can generate it's own stitch angles, however, it doesn't look at the overall big picture, so it's really better to do all this type of stuff manually. It's actually better to do all digitizing manually or semi-manually then it is to rely on the computer software. Even as expensive as my software is, if you automatically digitize something as simple as a vector circle, it can cause issues with stitch quality unless you know how to clean it up (or have the modules that give you the ability to clean it up efficiently).

The bad thing to designs like this one, especially the "lineman" design, is that they are typically not very production friendly. More trims then usually, because you are going for a finished effect. The dobro was more production friendly due to the break in the blends. All of the segments in the lineman had blends, so it wasn't ideal for cutting down on the trims.

Very cool. Thank you so much for sharing that. About how long does it take to stitch something with that detail?

WildWestDesigns

Very cool. Thank you so much for sharing that. About how long does it take to stitch something with that detail?

Depending on the machine and how long it takes them to do trims (anywhere from 5 seconds to 20 seconds per trim and that adds up per garment), I would say around an hour. Based solely on stitch count running at 700 spm, it should be at 30 minutes. The biggest reason that it isn't is because production methods have to take a back seat for some of the elements of the design due to the final look that you are wanting to create.

The second design is only 30k stitches, but it would take about an hour and half because of the design itself makes it harder to cut down on the trims, each segment is done separately, which means, say you start with the hat, you have 4 color changes, each with a trim and then you go to the next segment and repeat. A lot of trims and a lot of color changes, all that time that the needle isn't on the fabric kills production.

Knowledge of production values and when you should and/or shouldn't use them is what digitizing customers should be looking for, not going off solely by price. What a lot of people don't realize is that one pattern that cost you a flat rate of $10 might take a much longer time on the machine (and cost you more per garment every time you use that pattern then the $14 that you save with the cheaper pattern) then paying $24 for the same pattern, but it's from someone that knows how to hide connector stitches and keep the needle going with as few trims as it can.

Unfortunately, patterns like the ones above are different animals and everything about them just cost more.

Jillbeans

...and he also found time to embroider two totally kick-*** pillow cases for me.
Had a client who loved their logo so much she wanted one for over her bed...I thought the pillowcases would be a fun gift and he nailed it.
Thanks Evan!
Love....Jill

JBusch260

Very interesting! Thanks so much for the explanation! I've always loved the look of embroidery and have always been curious about the intricacy of making them look as good as they can. It looks like you've got it mastered! Kudos.

WildWestDesigns

...and he also found time to embroider two totally kick-*** pillow cases for me.
Had a client who loved their logo so much she wanted one for over her bed...I thought the pillowcases would be a fun gift and he nailed it.
Thanks Evan!
Love....Jill

Your welcome Jill. I'm glad that I could help you with that.

I could understand why she would want to have that logo all over the place, it is a very nice one. Worked really well in embroidery.

WildWestDesigns

Very interesting! Thanks so much for the explanation! I've always loved the look of embroidery and have always been curious about the intricacy of making them look as good as they can. It looks like you've got it mastered! Kudos.

No problem, my pleasure. Digitizing is what got me into all this "mess", it's what I love doing and at times, I can get a little wordy with the detail if I don't watch it.