Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weird request - is this possible?

Discussion in 'Tips & Tricks' started by ForgeInc, Sep 14, 2012.

1. ForgeInc

ForgeInc Active Member

Dec 7, 2010
    Portland, Or
    I want to create a display that has graphics and type that would only be visible when someone flashes a camera in front of it.

Does anyone know of any kind of inks, or vinyl materials, substrates, etc. that might do something like that?

Tags:
  2. ThinkRight

ThinkRight Active Member

Nov 13, 2011
    Atlanta Ga
    Sounds like CIA spook stuff to me.

3. ForgeInc

ForgeInc Active Member

Dec 7, 2010
    Portland, Or
    Hmmm..interesting.

Good idea, might have to give it a shot.

4. g&eprinting

g&eprinting Member

Jul 21, 2011
    Everett MA
    ^Ninja technic.

Attached Files:

5. vid

vid Very Active Member

Jun 11, 2003
    California
    :ROFLMAO: I did a white van w/black reflective only --- stripes and logo. It did the opposite of what Forge is looking to do. It looked great during the day --- there was a little shimmer to the graphics that would catch your eye. And for sure at night, it would really sparkle depending on the angle of the light.

Then, the guy took a straight on picture of it at twilight ...with a flash. It looked like a plain white van. That direct light just vaporized the graphics. In the photo, one could just see a little smidge of gray on the very front and very back of the van where the flash didn't fully bounce back at the edges.

It was hilarious. It took the guy that owned the van by surprise... He thought it would reflect black...:doh: After he got used to the idea, he thought it was a pretty cool effect.

6. garisimo

garisimo Member

Oct 14, 2009
    USA