• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Weird Ruler being printed

Kootchy

Just started to print a photo to canvas and I get these strange ruler type marks being printed, see photo below; I can't for the life of me understand why.

Using fiery xf 7.1.1 but nothing has changed in the rip

Attachments

• IMG_20201205_211458.jpg
    IMG_20201205_211458.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 302

Kootchy

this is a close up of the patten its printing every 3-5 inches after 25" prints, which is strange as it prints perfect for stuff below 25 inches

Attachments

• IMG_20201206_025511.jpg
    IMG_20201206_025511.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 220

chrisphilipps

Merchant Member
Did you just replace the print head recently? If so did you get it from a third party source? Epson programed print heads for smaller format printers so they won't work in wider machines. I have seen printers do this with those print heads. Once a "proper" Epson head was put in the issue went away.

Kootchy

Did you just replace the print head recently? If so did you get it from a third party source? Epson programed print heads for smaller format printers so they won't work in wider machines. I have seen printers do this with those print heads. Once a "proper" Epson head was put in the issue went away.

Nope, printhead has been in for years, as printed many things above 25" before.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I'd start with the encoder to rule it out although I'm thinking it's an electrical/data issue. Have you had and electrical surges recently? I would turn the machine off, unplug it, wait 15 minutes, and then take the head out and examine the head cables. If they have ink splatter, corrosion, or loose leads, I would replace them. Other than that, it could be the head itself failing or another cable/board deeper in the machine.

Kootchy

Changed over the head cables and now I get the following problems shown in the photos, one is of the test print that looks horrendous and the other is a photo i've been trying to print since this whole mess started.

Will be bald by the end of the week at this rate.

Attachments

• IMG_20201207_214523.jpg
    IMG_20201207_214523.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 136
  • IMG_20201207_214535.jpg
    IMG_20201207_214535.jpg
    952.9 KB · Views: 139

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Since changing the cables changed the output, it could be that the terminals are dirty. I usually give them a good air dusting, swab them down with a lint free swab and 90%+ alcohol, and then air dust again. If that doesn't fix the issue unfortunately it's probably a fried head. Could be the slider or main board as well but those are much more rare to cause issues like this.

Kootchy

problem, I now have is if, I went new head route and the bloody lines are still there, will have to think about it over next couple of days.