• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Welding in Corel?

Workaround vector traces will never teach you anything, at least not if you want to be proficient as a designer or even at just being able to manipulate files.

To address the OP's original questions, I don't know what version of Corel you're working with but when I learned Corel Draw I was very fortunate to have a store bought version of X5 with a hardback user's manual and a set of DVD training videos with Scott Georgeson. I pretty much skipped the manual and went straight to the videos. I sat down with Corel X5 for two full days, designing vector images while pausing through the videos at each and every step, until I had made my way through the entire series of videos. Occasionally, I would pause the video for a short time to work on something that wasn't shown on the video, and continually practiced what I had learned up to that point. Within a week I had familiarized myself with a large enough arsenal of Corel Draw tools to pretty much design anything I could imagine and certainly enough to get me through the day to day rigors of designing signs and cutting vinyl. I would HIGHLY recommend Scott Georgeson's instructional tutorial. It's got to be one of the best and easiest to follow tutorials I've ever seen for the beginner. I promise if you take the time to go all the way through that tutorial you will attain an incredible amount of knowledge and confidence working with the software.

The link to the first in the series of videos is here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyTPa7xvU9U

Most of the additional videos in the series will show up as links on that page. I hope you find this useful.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
So you'd rather spend an extra 2, 3, 5, 10 or whatever minutes trying to figure out why some objects won't weld/combine correctly rather than clicking your mouse, literally, an extra 7 times to convert a troublesome vector to bitmap and back?...

Perhaps you might acquaint yourself with the concept of doing something properly as opposed to resorting to a slovenly pragmatic method that might let you skate by.

royster13

A lot of times, in Flexi at least, I rasterize the art and convert to bitmap and then vectorize, takes about 30 seconds.
I know you were using Corel but that seems like a lot of steps. To me you can't beat Flexi for vectorizing.

Pretty much the same for me using Illustrator......

rossmosh

A graphic like this, there is no real reason to raster then vector. I have had nightmare graphics that were designed terribly. On those I have no real choice but to raster and then trace. In circumstances where I'm forced to do that, I will try to preserve the original image as much as possible. For example, in this example I would use 99% of the original text and just keep the M and O from the traced image.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
I give up.

Rasterizing vector files only to auto-trace them again is clearly the obvious solution here.

:cool:

Only if you have a somewhat tenuous understanding of your tools. No edge tracing nowhere nohow will ever reproduce the original object. You do an edge trace if and only if you have no other choice. Since the OP came to understand how to use the tools he had and successfully produced a cuttable object, this was patently not the case. The time spent in creating a proper image was spent learning how to use the tools, not in doing the work and thus cannot be charged to the job.

J Hill Designs

Only if you have a somewhat tenuous understanding of your tools. No edge tracing nowhere nohow will ever reproduce the original object. You do an edge trace if and only if you have no other choice. Since the OP came to understand how to use the tools he had and successfully produced a cuttable object, this was patently not the case. The time spent in creating a proper image was spent learning how to use the tools, not in doing the work and thus cannot be charged to the job.

Im guessing you missed the sarcasm in the quoted post

Agreed. I didn't mean to imply this should be done every time you run into a problem, but sometimes I run into objects that just will not combine/weld properly no matter when I do, short of redrawing the entire object.

J Hill Designs

Agreed. I didn't mean to imply this should be done every time you run into a problem, but sometimes I run into objects that just will not combine/weld properly no matter when I do, short of redrawing the entire object.

most of the time when I have a problem with combining or welding, I just have to select all the nodes and 'reverse direction' to fix it.

phiscribe

Corel Draw I think defaults to an even odd winding rule were other vector programs use a default non-zero winding rule. This will sometimes cause unexpected results when doing with the Shape operations. I don't know if it was the case here, but one thing worth trying when you are not getting the result you expect is to reverse the direction of the path and try again. This changes the winding score and give a different result. In the fill dialog there is also a setting for "Fill Winding," with can also change results.

knucklehead

The ball currently it two circles on top of each other. The larger is filled with black and the inner is filled with white. The stitches are on top of the white circle filled in black and are separate. I can take the fills out if I need and just change the circles to outlines.

Smaller white circle, on top of larger black circle= group>trim. Then there will be no fill in the white area.

cathartes88

I ungroup/break everything apart and convert everything to curves. Combine the parts of the O. Combine the parts of the first letter. Combine the parts of the circles. Weld it all together. Works for me. When you weld, Corel recognizes combined objects, maintaining the open areas and eliminates any of the issues with "pieces parts" at the weld areas. No need to resort to any raster/vector conversions. No need to mess with the stitches in any way. Just did it on my own system to verify before posting and it all took less than a few seconds.

54warrior

When I create new text, I first convert it to Artistic text, then when satisfied with size/kerning/etc. , I convert it to curves, and apply a .001" outside contour. Break contour apart and delete the original "curve"/text. This has been very helpful when trying to then perform the task you mentioned, especially with letters with "insides" (d, e, b, g, etc.).

Also, I very rarely use the Combine tool, instead using back minus front, front minus back, and weld most often.