• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wet application?

Signmaker1234

What digital print vinyls can you wet apply and which should be never wet applied?

Someone told me 2 days ago that you can wet apply all including air egress/raipid air etc?

I was under the impression that you couldn't with any and have always done dry applications.

Someone posted questions about wrapping yesterday and asked about wet application in one of their comments, didn't see an answer there.

rjssigns

Dry is always a better option. But I've installed air release wet when doing boat transom lettering when it's 90 in the shade, and the sun is beating on the transom. It's a last resort option to get the work done. YMMV.

Flame suit on.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
The only vinyl I've seen explicit instruction to NOT apply wet is most reflectives. Everything else should be fine...but with most vinyls being air release now, why bother? I do still use a little bit of rapid tac with air release etch vinyl, on really large panels that I want to float in.

Gary Wiant

Yes if your in the sign business learn to do it the right way, the only thing we do wet it etched window graphic & that's because that is what 3M wants.

Good luck

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Gino

Premium Subscriber
My experience has always been to do the air egress stuff dry, if at all possible. The channels were set up to allow air to travel out, not liquid(s). If you feel you must.... just use a light mist and don't wet it like you would etch or polyface translucents..

5starwraps

I agree with no wet on the Air Egress vinyl. Iv'e been doing this stuff since 2006. That vinyl is made to release air not liquid. We use IJ35-10 all day and probably do no less than 10 4x8 sheets of MDO per day. Wet is the best way we have found to get them out and done. Let them sit for a couple of hours and they are good to go. And absolutely never wet apply Reflective!

burgmurk

I only wet apply window etch, and anything (well, anything larger than an A3) applied to the reverse of glass/acrylic panels.