• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wet install tequnices / application fluid reconendations please

I pretty much do ALL my installs dry. However I have a Firebird to put on a hood of an old Firebird and I think wet is going to be the way to go. The kit is a stock kit from Phoenix that the customer has purchased so there is a little higher level of concern for me with this particular job.

I don't do much wet install so I'm looking for a little advise on what fluid works best or maybe some techniques?

The only wet install experience I have would be with the 3m paint protectant which I install with a simple rubbing alcohol / water mixture.

My question would be can I use the same mixture with this large firebird decal? The rubbing alcohol is a drying agent and this worked well for me in the past with paint protectant. Or is there something better out there?

Fellers offers a "clear star" action tac application fluid for vinyl, has anyone used this?

Thank you

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I'd use Rapid-Tac, if this is a once and done deal. No sense making your own and going to all the trouble of making home-brewed weasel-p!ss.

Just wet both surfaces, float it on and squeegee out as much liquid as you can to help eliminate any bubbles down the road.

Thanks.

Another thing I thought of is should I let the graphic set up for a certain amount of time after applied, prior to removing the premask?

The premask concerns me some because it is in the clear premask. Personally I don't think the clear has as much conform ability as the the paper mask.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
When, and if we do it wet, it's almost always on acrylic or poly carb faces. We try to lift the transfer tape as soon as possible to get the wet bubbles out you can't see beneath the tape. It's always easier to do while it's still good 'n wet. However, clear tape might be a little more difficult to get off as quickly.

DizzyMarkus

Bought online? Cheap vinyl or quality vinyl? -- the Rapid tac is for cast and rapid tac2 for intermediate-- they dont work well opposites lol

Markus

Jillbeans

I only use Rapid Tac.
Spray both the surface and the sticky back of the vinyl.
Apply, squeegee well.
Then spray the app tape with the Rapid Tac, and peel that back after only a minute or so.
Spritz the decal again and squeegee it to remove any leftover RT.
For windows I usually go dry but if it's a big piece I don't want to f*ck up I use Rapid Tac 2.
Also in cold temps when applying wet.
I'm still better with a wet app than a dry one.
I usually only do totally dry on really small stuff or corosigns.
Love....Jill

CP Signs

Wet Install

I also use Rapid Tac II. Spray both the hood and the back of the decal, lay it in place, spray the top of the transfer tape, squeegee the crap out of it, let it sit for a bit ( we had to let it sit much longer then a minute because of that clear backing ).

Attachments

• Bird.jpg
    Bird.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 119
  • Bird 2.jpg
    Bird 2.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 129

CP Signs

Ya, the one we did was printed on clear media but had paper transfer tape. I tried to use Rapid Tac before with clear tape and really didn't like that experience,,,lol.