• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

wet mount squeegees

MHester

I'm making second surface backlit inserts. In the past I have wet mounted my vinyl onto flat acrylic sheets with a rigid plastic squeegee. I always fear for scratching, which sometimes happen, even with a fresh new squeegee. Am I using the wrong tool, should I be using a rubber squeegee instead? Any advice is helpful, thanks :)

printhog

I use the release liner slippery side up over the graphic with a regular gold squeegee. 3M taught this method decades ago with the backlit inkjet films they had, and its remarkable easy - but the tech bulletins are long gone. Put graphic face down on a second table (smooth plastic table surface is best), pull release liner off, slide the release liner back under the graphic with the slippery side towards the table/away from the graphic face (it'll slide fairly easily), now liberally spray the adhesive side of graphic with soap/water solution, lift the paper and vinyl into position on substrate, the paper will be slippery side up to you and your squeegee will glide across the surface easily - the paper helps to prevent distortion of the film in positioning, and eliminates any scratching. you can get much higher squeegee pressures with this method. If aligning dual layer prints, then forego the paper in the second positioning step as you cant see thru it, but use it as a squeegeeing layer only.

tip- squeegee has got to have a flawless edge, so use a new one and check it for having a clean edge by applying a dark vinyl to clear acrylic as a test.. Also always squeegee from graphic center out, as you do the edges you want to check occasionally for dings in the squeegee which will create streaks of bubbles.