Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are the odds?

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by Bubba06, Oct 22, 2020.

1. Bubba06

Bubba06 Just Somebody

Feb 13, 2005
    Manning SC
    So Monday I ordered Ink for my printer, and because of an order I received over the weekend with a lot of yellow print, I paid an extra $60 to have it shipped overnight. Tuesday evening rolls around UPS comes and NO INK!
    I ask my UPS guy what gives, and he has no answer.

I called my supplier, and they "Forgot to ship it". It took me a while, but I finally convinced them to refund my shipping and ship overnight on their dime. It put me a day behind, but life goes on......Right?...

Well....

I also ordered (from a different supplier) ink Monday for a screen printing job to be done tomorrow. Ink should have arrived yesterday. it didn't. I call the supplier this morning....."For some reason it didn't get shipped. We will look into it, and ship it out today". Ummmm, I need it tomorrow. I talked them into shipping it overnight on their dime.

All will be good, it will all work out, and life will go on but MAN, What are the odds?

Tags:
  2. 2B

2B Very Active Member

May 5, 2011
    TX
    glad it will work out for you.

the odds are VERY GOOD!!!
    we are having issues with one of our suppliers, placed an order last week.
    we called today asking for an update. was told "we haven't shipped it yet, there was confusion on what you ordered" o_Oo_Oo_O

3. Robert Armerding

Robert Armerding Merchant Member

Mar 3, 2017
    San Jose, CA
    Consider this: Maybe ask them to provide you with the tracking number just as soon as your order has shipped. Then set the timer on your smart phone to monitor the matter and phone them if the tracking number is not coming through in a timely manner. Might work, might not. Maybe worth a try.

4. Bubba06

Bubba06 Just Somebody

Feb 13, 2005
    Manning SC
    I was issued a tracking number in both instances. They printed the labels, just never shipped.

5. Robert Armerding

Mar 3, 2017
    San Jose, CA
    Bubba06 Glad you brought that up. Once you have the tracking number, you can go to the shipping company website and see if they have the package. Then you can take appropriate action.

6. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    That's terrible.... just plain frickin' terrible. Now, we're supposed to waste 30 minutes or so, tracking our packages, which once ordered, should be outta our hair. If people were doing their jobs and staying off their private phones, stop texting and pay attention to what they're supposed to be doing, it sure would making working in today's "NEW" world a little more comfortable. How hard is it, to pack up a cartridge or box of ink, put a label on it (that the computer spits out) and put it out for the UPS guy ?? You've already warned them and told them this was time sensitive and put an overnight label on it. Fire the SOB. Start making people responsible.

I'm a little p!ssed, cause I just got an e-mail from a customer who said they were waiting for some drawings/proofs. Huh ?? I sent them out about 10 days ago. So, I start checking everything and as it turns out, I sent them out when I said I did, and to Emily, like I thought. Just so happens, at the moment, I'm doing work for 3 different Emilies and two of them are exterior and interior directories. How many Emilies are on your mailing list and how many of you are working on all 3 at the same time and never put 2 + 2 together ?? Yep, my mistake, and I heard about it. The third Emily laughed.

7. Robert Armerding

Mar 3, 2017
    San Jose, CA
    Here is another matter to consider: During your wrap up conversation with your supplier, ask them to reiterate what is really important to you. You will be amazed at how often they miss the point. Re-explain. Then pester them again to tell you what is important. Keep it up until they get it right. (Remember, listening is a lost art.) Then still ask for the tracking number. Still check with the shipping company.

8. Notarealsignguy

Notarealsignguy Very Active Member

Feb 20, 2020
    Florida
    Good luck calling to get info. Each person you get a hold of cares even less than the guy before. I had a pallet of signs go missing through YRC last year. They told me the terminal where it was and said that I was better off calling them myself. That got me nowhere. Our customer was aggravated so I ended up remaking all of the signs and re-shipping. I filed a loss claim and 3 days later, both pallets showed up on the same truck, the same day. They wouldn't even refund the shipping let alone the money I was out for the signs that they told me were lost. They are so big and there are so few alternatives that they don't even need to care in order to retain customers.

• OMG / Wow! OMG / Wow! x 1
  9. Texas_Signmaker

Texas_Signmaker Very Active Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    YRC is horrible around here. Arc Best and Southwest Transport is good here

10. Notarealsignguy

Feb 20, 2020
    Florida
    I can't beat their rates and their terminal used to be about 1 mile down the road. Their coverage in parts of texas isn't very good but even with them using handoff carriers there they are still substantially cheaper than other LTLs for us. If you think that UPS is bad, wait until amazon starts taking outside parcels. I want to bang my head into the wall every time they show up here. I think they have a maximum IQ requirement to work there.

11. Robert Armerding

Mar 3, 2017
    San Jose, CA
    It all depends. If the stakes are high, then pull out every tactic that you need and then some.

Addendum:
    From my pipe organ playing background, if the stakes are high, pull out all of the stops.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
    • Hilarious! Hilarious! x 1
  12. iPrintStuff

iPrintStuff Prints stuff

Sep 3, 2018
    United Kingdom
    How much ink do you keep in stock? If I see a large yellow job come in I’ve never worried about my ink stocks and needed it quick enough that next day shipping was required. Keeping that a low stock sounds like asking for trouble.

obviously you’re having bad luck with suppliers there but I always keep 2 days worth of any stock (we have a decent amount of storage). So if I need to potentially run 2 days worth of banners, I know I have it there. We’re in the UK though and have no trouble getting anything next day.

13. Bubba06

Bubba06 Just Somebody

Feb 13, 2005
    Manning SC
    I have 15 Ink carts on the shelf over the top of my printer, I didn't realize none of them were yellow.

• Hilarious! Hilarious! x 1
  14. White Haus

White Haus Formally known as RJPW..........

Apr 6, 2018
    Winnipeg
    If it makes you feel better I'm waiting around at the shop at 6pm for an amazon delivery that was supposed to be here 2 days ago.....

15. Johnny Best

Johnny Best Very Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    buffalo ny
    I bet the ponies all the time and like long shots. But betting on the odds of getting something on time now in this environment. The odds are high and you are betting on a 200 lb fat chick on a 10 year old horse. Save your money.

• Like Like x 1
  16. MI Bearcat

MI Bearcat Member

Apr 1, 2015
    Canton, Michigan
    I did that a few weeks ago. Waited until 7:00 pm for UPS who never showed up. Next day it said "Business was closed, will try again tomorrow" at 4:46. They absolutely did not try to deliver as every door was unlocked. As mentioned, they have us by the short hairs as there are no other options and they really don't seem to care.

17. Texas_Signmaker

Texas_Signmaker Very Active Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    If you're receiving something important, have it held at your local terminal for pickup. That way you can get it first thing in the morning, and eliminate the possibility of the driver skipping your stop that day. Just address it to the terminal with "hold for" and your name on it

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. Notarealsignguy

Feb 20, 2020
    Florida
    I have our drivers phone number. We don't have any issues with being skipped but if Im waiting on something important, he will either bring it early or I'll go meet him for it.