• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What are your thoughts on the S80600?

Danskitt

Hi all,

I am considering upgrading our Roland XJ and have been reading up on the S80600. I don't have any experience with Epson machines so would like to hear your thoughts.

The main thing I want to get out of the machine is the ability to rip files with registration dots compatible with our Zund machine and unfortunately Versaworks doesn't do this which is really poor. We currently use Caldera for our other machines but I believe Onyx will let us do this which espons come with.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
Brilliant printer. Probably widest gamut of any solvent currently available. Very quick too. Ink is dry to touch before it hits the take up roller. We've laminated both immediately and waited the recommended 6 hours but haven't had any failures yet in 2+ years of owning it.
We use Onyx and it works extremely well with this machine. No complaints about the combination at all. We were already using Onyx for our UV flatbed, so there was no learning curve.
Onyx Cut Server supports both Zund Cut Center and Zund Touch&Cut so if your machine supports either of these, it should be able to produce the registation marks you require.

Danskitt

Hi all,

I am considering upgrading our Roland XJ and have been reading up on the S80600. I don't have any experience with Epson machines so would like to hear your thoughts.

The main thing I want to get out of the machine is the ability to rip files with registration dots compatible with our Zund machine and unfortunately Versaworks doesn't do this which is really poor. We currently use Caldera for our other machines but I believe Onyx will let us do this which espons come with.

Danskitt

How is it finding profiles for the machine? We have tried running the roland through caldera but there are literally 0 profiles available?

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
We make our own. Canned profiles generally aren't that great we've found. Wider gamut and usually less ink usage if you can make your own.

That being said, the S80600 is very forgiving when it comes to profiles. I occasionally will need to do a one-off print on an odd media we don't have a profile for and using something vaguely similar will still produce spectacular results.

TomNJ

Hi all,

Fantastic machine(s), S40600, S60600 & S80600. Unless you need the expanded ink set the S80 provides look at the Dual CMYK S60 or better yet, get 2 of the single CMYK S40's for about the price of the S80. I think they are still running the promo on that machine.

Our dealer also sells HP, so we were able to compare prints, overall operation and run our files side by side on the comparable latex machines. For us, the Epson won hands down.

We laminate prints within 1 hour of printing and have never had any issues. Smells a bit but not objectionable. In fact, we like the smell of solvent ink, smells like money!

Great with Onyx or Flexi for print & cut applications. You can't go wrong with the Epson.

danno

I ran a s80 for a year. Profiles are scarce. We found an older i1 with the table in our shop and wrote our own profiles. I have recommended the machine to anybody that would be looking for better color. It was slower than the Colorpainter M64's, but it held it's own, speed wise, with anything else on the market. Onyx is provided with the printer and you would be able to provide the cut marks for your Zund.

djdg

I bought the Epson S40600 a few months ago and I loved it until Epson raised the prices on there inks $15 per cartridgesin. $15 doesn't sound like a lot but that's an additional $120 for you at the very least since you need 8 cartridges for the S80600.Epson didn't even change the ink formula, just a price hike after they sold a lot of their printers. I'm pretty disappointed in Epson. I emailed them about this because I purchased the printer based on the prices per square foot that were provided by my sales rep. Definitely feel like I got ripped off. I likely would have gone with a different printer based on the price of inks.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Bly

If you're doing print for pay or signage the 60600 is probably a better option.
You only need to stock 4 colours and it's a bit faster than the 80600.
Quality and gamut is excellent.
If you're printing for photographers and artists from native rgb files the 80600 would be nice.

greysquirrel

Not sure why profiles are scarce...your epson tech should have loaded a program kinda similar to the HP that lets you search and download profiles for the printer...there re hundreds for the s80 and 40...now the 60 is another story. They don't sell many 60's and if it were my money I would buy 2 s40s

Christian @ 2CT Media

I bought the Epson S40600 a few months ago and I loved it until Epson raised the prices on there inks $15 per cartridgesin. $15 doesn't sound like a lot but that's an additional $120 for you at the very least since you need 8 cartridges for the S80600.Epson didn't even change the ink formula, just a price hike after they sold a lot of their printers. I'm pretty disappointed in Epson. I emailed them about this because I purchased the printer based on the prices per square foot that were provided by my sales rep. Definitely feel like I got ripped off. I likely would have gone with a different printer based on the price of inks.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

Why would that pricing bother you so much? Unless you aren't printing very much and that extra $15 is going in the waste container, it should be a negligible blimp on your running costs.

This industry amuses me sometimes people trip over thousands of dollars worrying about pennies.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
Why would that pricing bother you so much? Unless you aren't printing very much and that extra $15 is going in the waste container, it should be a negligible blimp on your running costs.

This industry amuses me sometimes people trip over thousands of dollars worrying about pennies.

They've obviously never heard of inflation. We've owned our Epson for 2.5 years and the prices of ink have remained the same the entire time, with a warning from our local dealer that prices will increase by the end of the year which sounds fair enough to me. It's not Epson's fault they bought a printer just before the ink price rise.
Ink is so negligible in the entire production process that our job quoting doesn't even account for ink in the equation.

ProPDF

Not sure why profiles are scarce...your epson tech should have loaded a program kinda similar to the HP that lets you search and download profiles for the printer...there re hundreds for the s80 and 40...now the 60 is another story. They don't sell many 60's and if it were my money I would buy 2 s40s
From my understanding the 40 profiles work with the 60 and vice versa, maybe this has changed but I remember Flexi didn't have even have the S40 driver awhile ago and said the S60 would work just fine.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
Literally only difference with the L version is bulk ink attachment.
Brings ink pricing down ~20% compared to 700mL tank pricing per volume.

ProColorGraphics

I use an S80 with Caldera and use it often to with print/cut jobs on my Summa F. I have never had a registration issue. The quality is awesome! I do create my own profiles with an i1io table.

I need few new print/cut printers, for our line of work, so the Epson printers are out. What would be the next best thing to the Epson with print/cut? We have 6 older Rolands now, but want more feedback. Any advice?

ikarasu

I need few new print/cut printers, for our line of work, so the Epson printers are out. What would be the next best thing to the Epson with print/cut? We have 6 older Rolands now, but want more feedback. Any advice?

Buy a stand alone printer and a stand alone cutter. If you're buying multiple printers... you obviously have high volume, why buy a 2 in one that will slow you down? You cant cut and print at the same time.... The 2 in 1's are great for people with little space... but I can bet you 3 printer/cutter stand alone systems will cut faster, and better than your 6 all in ones can cut, and take up the same space.

These machines go to different locations and print/cut machines are perfect. The work we do need no laminate or have the room for additional equipment. I would like feedback on other print/cut machines.