• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What Cutters do you like?

synergy_jim

We are going to buy a stand alone cutter. I hear good things about Roland and Graphtec.

MY XC540 cut like a gem, so I am leaning toward Roland but I want to hear what you all have to say.

I am looking for some input.... pros and cons.

Pro Image

Ive have owned a Roland, Graphtec, and 2 Mutoh.......Never had a bad problem with any of them..........

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
What size cutter are you looking for? Don't rule out the Summa line, they make very nice plotters. I was tossed between the Graphtec and the Summa but after researching them both I ended up purchasing the Graphtec FC7000MK2 at SignWord this past year. Speed, down force, & the price comparison swayed me to the Graphtec.

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
im a gerber person....have a gerber super sprint from the late 80s.....it's been sent out twice for work and still works with no problems...just a little slow because it has a tangeantal blade.....gerber's are definitely work horses

Fuzzbuster

Owned Roland,Mutoh and now recently a Graphtec 7000MK2 ... by far the graphtec is my choice and roland a close 2nd

OldPaint

i got a ROLAND CX-300 30" and LUV IT....of course i been ROLAND ONLY since 92 with a PNC-1000, 2, PNC-1100's, now the CX-300.
i been CUTTIN FROM COREL ONLY since 92, to rolands and why change....when it works so well.

RSR571

Graphtec is our choice we have owned 3 and have never had a problem with any of them. Look into the CE series those are some really good cutters for the money. We ran a 24" CE2000 for about 5 years with no problems and just in the last couple of years have upgraded to FC series.

Conor Knoxx

good info here!

I'm hoping to get through the summer with my old (embarrasing name here) .

I'm really surprised to see how few folks opt for the Summa. They were actually on the top of my list - with Graphtec next choice. All in all, I get the impression all the "brand name" plotters are accurate, reliable workhorses though - likely comes down to price/features that best suit your needs?

To me, the laser "find registration marks" features for cutting out printed work is a key feature, and I'm still searching for which is best at that.

Sign Works

I have two Roland Printer/Cutters and am extremely happy with their performance but for a stand alone cutter Graphtec FC series is my choice. Been running my Graphtec FC4100-75 for 9 years now without a single problem.

Matt Cuellar

#1 Summa S or T Class (more $$$, but unbelievably efficient and reliable)
#2 Graphtec FC7000Mk2 series

Never had any experience with Roland or any other cutters...

flyinhawaiian968

Another Roland CX300 owner here, love it! Works like a dream, never gives me a lick of problems, two years and a mile of vinyl through it (hell, could be more, never bothered to count!) and its still going strong like the day I bought it.

Used to run an old CAMM-1 back in '95-96, that thing was a workhorse too! I don't remember ever being down because of the machine either...

Chris

Chris

Conor Knoxx

#1 Summa S or T Class (more $$$, but unbelievably efficient and reliable)
#2 Graphtec FC7000Mk2 series

Never had any experience with Roland or any other cutters...

Hey Matt, could you explain why you say that? Looks like the Summa is about $1000 more at the 54inch size (I've not really "shopped" it much - but that seems the ballpark)

I'd really like to hear from someone who has first-hand knowledge of the S class vs the Graphtec. I like to save a grand as much as the next guy - but I know that $1k is gonna be long forgotten years down the road, when performance/features/realiability become the focus!

When I read comments like that, I always wonder if there's a specific reasoning, or its a "just because thats what I think" statement.

thanks,
Conor

rcboats1

Summa!!!!!!!! Well worth the money.

Had a Graphtec FC7000Mk2, good machine, BAD service!

The Summa is the best plotter that I have delt with in the last 15+ years. (I've had Rolands, Graphtecs and "others").

Conor, or anyone, if you would like specifics PM me and I will share my saga.

svenner

Can you cut sandblast stencil with the Graphtec FC7000Mk2 OR the CE5000 Series?
Thinking of swictching from from my Summacut D60........

GregT

I have 2 Graphtec (FC3100 and FC7000) running right now and one Ioline(I60). I would like to do away with the Ioline and run everything through the 3100 series.

thesignexpert

We are going to buy a stand alone cutter. I hear good things about Roland and Graphtec.

MY XC540 cut like a gem, so I am leaning toward Roland but I want to hear what you all have to say.

I am looking for some input.... pros and cons.

I have used quite a number of different plotter manufacturers over the years with pro & cons for all. Take a look at this page with Sign Plotter Reviews and see if it helps at all.

Tim Evans

The Sign Expert .com
"Practical Help for Sign Professionals"

Pro Sign and Graphics
"A Pro Sign made Easy"

Juice Network