• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What do you do with your vinyl??

Vanishingstar05

We are currently reorganizing and adding a room in our shop and need to get outr vinyl rolls off the floor. I have some ideas on how to make a rack. But I was wondering what everyone else does with theirs? We dont have room for the racks that you buy that makes the roll stick straight out from the wall. We need something that takes up little space in the room. We have mostly 54" rolls... Anyone have a pictures or ideas?
Thank you very much!
Ashley

J Hill Designs

for solvent media I just have them standing upright on one of the tube end plastic thingies that come with a roll...cover it in the bag it comes in, tied closed on one end, as a dust condom

TheSellOut

I know there has been some good threads on this topic. I think Gypsy Graphics posted her new rack, lol, in the past few months! Try searching Vinyl racks or substrate racks

Mosh

She has a nice VINYL rack, I think there are pics, do a search, or she might put them up here.

WrapperX

We used 2x4s attached horizontally to the studs of the walls. Then we attached shelving arms vertically to those 2x4s and put shellving arms to hold Conduit piping or some other bar of such to hold our rolls then we put bolts screwed into the ends of the shelving arms to keep the bars from rolling off. refer to diagram.

Attachments

• Shelving.jpg
    Shelving.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 114
I have to admit I was inspired by GG's beautiful rack, unfortunately it take more than just a few pictures of a nice rack to inspire me to work real hard at it so I made my own easier way to do it. I never have customers come in here so I really don't care about the way it looks as long as it's functional. A few 2x4's and a bunch of bicycle hooks I picked up on ebay for $1 a pair and some pvc pipe. Works for me...:clapping:

Attachments

• My Rack.jpg
    My Rack.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 92

Custom_Grafx

I have to admit I was inspired by GG's beautiful rack, unfortunately it take more than just a few pictures of a nice rack to inspire me to work real hard at it so I made my own easier way to do it. I never have customers come in here so I really don't care about the way it looks as long as it's functional. A few 2x4's and a bunch of bicycle hooks I picked up on ebay for $1 a pair and some pvc pipe. Works for me...:clapping:

Hey that doesn't look too shabby mate!

Can I ask - do you think it's heavy duty enough to hold a roll of 60" vinyl of 50metres? I'm also on my way to putting one of these things up in my shop.

Hey that doesn't look too shabby mate!

Can I ask - do you think it's heavy duty enough to hold a roll of 60" vinyl of 50metres? I'm also on my way to putting one of these things up in my shop.

I would use a nice thick pvc pipe for it but I would trust it. The 2x4's are screwed into the studs in the wall so they aren't going anywhere.

GypsyGraphics

the design wasn't mine, i was inspired by jiarby's rack, just made some of my own modifications and had to have silver rods...
cuz girls racks are suppose to be prettier than boys.

if you have access to a CNC, jiarby posted his template... certainly much faster than my way.

yours to do the trick just fine bayshore!

Sticky Signs

Wow, here I was thinking that the term "dust-condom" in post #2 was pretty funny. This thread has since taken a turn for the better.

Seriously though, I have two very sturdy shelves for 24" vinyl. They are each about 8' long X 18"-20" deep. The shelves have an upward angle and are mounted above one another. Stand the rolls upright. I didn't design or build them but it's my favourite system so far.
I stand 54" rolls up on the plastic things too. Special medias get the "dust condom"!

Custom_Grafx

Wow, here I was thinking that the term "dust-condom" in post #2 was pretty funny. This thread has since taken a turn for the better.

Seriously though, I have two very sturdy shelves for 24" vinyl. They are each about 8' long X 18"-20" deep. The shelves have an upward angle and are mounted above one another. Stand the rolls upright. I didn't design or build them but it's my favourite system so far.
I stand 54" rolls up on the plastic things too. Special medias get the "dust condom"!

for coloured vinyl - we don't use much, so they're never that heavy - the most i keep is around 10m, and it seems to work fine for that.

this is mine, it runs along 2/3 of the wall and can hold around 50 or so rolls. has served me well for the last few years.

Attachments

• racks.jpg
    racks.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 83

CentralSigns

Mine is less look good and more space minded. My rack is not nearly as nice as GG's, but it holds more up.

Attachments

• 0309012147a.jpg
    0309012147a.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 93
  • 0309012147.jpg
    0309012147.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 92
  • 0309012146a.jpg
    0309012146a.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 101

GypsyGraphics

cool to see how everyone uses their space. i like how tidy the rolls look lined up against your wall Custom Grafx.

holy smokes CentralSigns, that's a lot of vinyl!
i'm tempted to comment on "holds up more" but i think i'll leave that alone.