• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What do you think about this start up idea??

signsovernite

Hi Guys NJ Newbie here! Thanks for all your GREAT posts they are beyond helpful! I've been working for a sign company for over 9 years now and I am doing research to find out if I can be profitable going into business for myself. I have a bachelor's in Graphic Design plus years of production, installation, sales, management and equipment maintenance experience. The problem is funding... I have about 20K saved up to start and a possible 30-35k from my business partner.

From reading past threads I've learned from you guys that is is better to sub out digital work until I have a substantial customer base. I am worried about quality control when I think about subbing out my stuff though.

What do you guys think about asking a local sign shop if I can pay them a percentage of my earnings (commission) or a flat dollar amount rate for using their shop and equipment on off hours? Do you think this is a better idea than subbing? If so which would you prefer? A flat rate or percentage? If i asked one of you use your shop on off hours how would you feel about that and how much would you expect to be paid?

Thank you tons!!!

- Emma

Billct2

Sorry, but I'd :ROFLMAO: if you asked me to use my place when I'm not here.
There is nothing wrong with buying wholesale, just find a reliable supplier or two or 3.
You just have to build the turnaround time into your quote.

2B

If you asked us no would not happen, its our equipment, our settings, and for you to come and start "adjusting" to get your products.... who is to say you know enough to make the changes and then change them back to what we had them.

There are too many merchant members here who are noted for quality work and if there is an issue they will do their best to fix it.

rcook99

:goodpost:Totally agree with Billct2. Once you find reliable subs its not usually a problem. There are merchants members here that do great work.

rjssigns

Sub it out. Don't tie up your life savings in equipment just yet. Check the merchant members here. I have only seen photos, but it looks like stellar work.

SIGNTIME

i wouldnt let you use my shop but i would consider a latex printer under 20k and if you know what your doing and think you can do well in sales...

signsovernite

Thanks!!

Thanks guys, It does make financial sense to sub out. Another reason I wanted to print myself is because I love being able to fabricate my own stuff from design to install; I really enjoy the printing process.

I just wish the printer wasn't so expensive to run.

Thanks again

Gino

Premium Subscriber
............ and I wish I could turn p!ss into gasoline. I hate expensive things. Good thing I'm learning how to make my own whiskey. Heck, maybe I could turn that into gasoline....... :rolleyes:

signsovernite

Hi Signtime, why latex? I'm familiar with roland vp series so I was thinking of using that machine (used or new sp) if any since I've been using it for 4 years. I would be hesitant to use a machine I'm unfamiliar with - especially since I've heard the latex HPs require a bit more babysitting than the Rolands??

Typestries

Between us, and bill at Wyld grand format, you have all of the wholesale production power you'll ever need, within a few miles of the highlands.

If I had to do this all over again, I'd design and sell, and outsource it all. No sense in investing in machines and staff, esp if you are just starting up. Focus on your strong pointd and exploit what you have.....your ability to sell and design!

mgcustomgraphics

and most important, if its a start up, make sure you have a permanent job (solid income) don't just quit your job, and start your business, you may not make money at first or soon like someone mention before, good luck :thumb: