• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What do you think of this equipment?

ocean502

Hi All
I am looking to venture into the screenprinting biz..I have a sign shop, and do roughly 100+ shirts using thermo flex and outsourcing...I found this equip. on craigslist, but don't know anything about equip. I don't know the make of this, but of what I've seen this seems like a great deal..dryer maybe overkill..thanks for your help..Ü
http://stockton.craigslist.org/for/1759474751.html

thats too high.. a new 6 color 4 station is only 2400 new..
I bought my 4c/4s flash dryer conveyer, squeegee, screens, and lots of other thing for $1200.00

Sticker Dude

I think the second one would be the best bet
I built on in my garage 4c/1s for just small order shirts building a platten now for 18x24 coro to screen that
But check out this company seem like they are the leader in the screen printing supply world
Good Luck!

tomence

In the first post if you can get that press for $1500 that should be a good price i mean come on it is a 6c/6s press and it looks like it has registration marks on it so can't beat that price even at $2000 it is still great price, also he says hes got extras that go with the press so ask what they are. As for the conveyour dryer if it works and is in good condition i would offer between $800-$1000 and check the power needed to run the dryer it may need 220V so check before buying.

Pat Whatley

Just something to think about....you notice how much screen printing equipment has hit the market in the last couple of years? The market in most places is saturated to the point that most people can't make a living doing their own printing and have actually figured out they can sub out the printing and make more money on it.

G-Artist

I didn't see any platens on the first one...he says it is a 6-station...is it?

Still, that's a bit high for used no-name equipment. I am sure he expects to be bartered down a bit.

Hopkins is an excellent name but still use due diligence and Google the model number and see what negatives come up.

Oh, and you can bet dollars to doughnuts the dryer is most likely 220 as it has a conveyor.

rcook99

Honestly if you are doing mainly one and two color prints! I would look at using a company that prints the transfers for you while you supply the artwork. Then you can heat press them with no mess or clean up of inks.

neato

Think long and hard before you jump into screen printing. It's the most frustrating thing I've ever done for a living. But it did end up being the most rewarding. If you don't have the time or patience to learn this, just sub it out. Like was mentioned, the market is saturated to the point that you can buy shirts from larger printers and mark them up to make a substantial profit without the mess and hassle.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Like Pat said.... everyone is doing it now.

People take supplies home with them and knock them out in their basements for pennies. We still offer textiles, but we sub it all out for the last 15 or 20 years. It's less headache for us and when we do it.... it's a money making proposition because we have nothing invested.

There must be 30 of these guys within 5 miles of us..... and that's only the ones we've heard of.

Be careful.

ocean502

Thank you, thank you..I have thought this over and over..As it would be waay simpler to sub it out, as I have. I am the only person within 40 miles that does tshirts..I am tired of "weeding" thermoflex, (well tired of paying someone to do it Ü) and tired of waiting 2 weeks for my transfers, having to deal with the art people..to have them sit here for a year before they are used up. I also pay 6.00+ per transfer not to mention all the set up fees, film fees, shipping...etc..that money could be mine! I believe most of the community would use me, and more so if they knew they knew I screenprinted, and they wouldn't have to pay 15.00 per shirt, (is what I have come to charge because of the time it takes me per shirt.) Thank you all for your insight, and hope I don't regret my decision. Ü

neato

Well, if you're convinced it's a good move, go for it! Like I said, it can be very lucrative. Look around on screenprinters.net. Do lot's of research before buying a press. DO NOT try to save a few hundred on a press. Get a good solid unit that holds registration well. I've heard good things about the Riley-Hopkins line of presses, they are economical too. I can't stress enough the importance of a solid press buy a reputable company. Hopkins, Antec, National, Vastex, Anatol, Hix are all good brands. Stay away from Lawson, Caps and the cheap off-brand and hobby presses on ebay. And if you decide to buy used, make sure all the micros work, the heads are tight and level and that it's been well cared for. As far as dryers go, look for a good used one. They're pretty straightforward. And can be bought used at a fraction of new. I'd try to find one at least 8' in length.

It's a lot of trial and error. Just spend LOTS of time reading the posts on the screen printing forums. You cannot just jump in with no help. Read, read, and read some more.

:)

ocean502

@ rcook I use Starline Pacific..and love them just $$..I priced someone local, (the 40 mi. away person) and he was more, and min. 10 days out or you had to pay 2.50 extra per transfer for a "rush" job! geez! (Now I'll be his competition!) He shoulda been nice...
@ Phillip I think I am going to buy the whole package from the second link I posted..The guy was VERY infomative, and will come out and set me up!
Love my logo too, Phillip! Thanks!! Ü

rcook99

You may want to check into some other tranfser suppliers. I just found one that does not charge you morer for sending in your own artwork and they have worked out great.

thesignguy1986

Just something to think about....you notice how much screen printing equipment has hit the market in the last couple of years? The market in most places is saturated to the point that most people can't make a living doing their own printing and have actually figured out they can sub out the printing and make more money on it.

I completely agree. There are 6 or 7 screen printing places in my town of 8,000 people and 5 of those have just popped up over the last 2 years. If you can't make enough money extra to make it worth while I wouldn't even bother.