• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

what do you wear?

How do you dress when selling?

• Professional - suit

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • Business casual

Votes: 43 29.3%
  • Shop uniform

Votes: 9 6.1%
  • Jeans and nice shirt

Votes: 48 32.7%
  • Shorts and a tshirt

Votes: 40 27.2%
  • Other

Votes: 4 2.7%

• Total voters
What do you wear when you hit the road trying to drum up more business?
I have dressed in everything from a suit to shorts and a tshirt.
I am curious to see what works best for others.

WildWestDesigns

It depends on the venue. If I'm dealing with professional types then I dress professional. If it's some kind of trade show then it's collar shirt with slacks. If I'm just out and about then t-shirt and jeans. I don't do shorts, because what I do it doesn't work to great to blind the customers. They can't see my work then.

Craig Sjoquist

I'm lucky to afford a good pair a jeans and clean shirt from the thrift stores , so a uniform is pricey like with name embroidered on it or I'm always painting or doing work that get's me dirty fast so business suit or more expensive business casual wear is a waste for me.

petepaz

i agree it does depend on the venue. generally i stick with the polo/golf shirt (usually with company name embroidered on it ) and dress slacks but if it's a regular customer and just giving a follow up visit to see how things are going and get some additional work could be jeans and t-shirt

10sacer

Down here in the Carolinas - most places we would call on kind of laugh at you or treat you with disdain if you wear a suit to call on them - and I am talking big corporations, not local businesses. So we wear nice slacks and a branded company polo. In rare instances we will add a sport coat to that.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Pretty much of the time, when purposely calling on a new client or trying to establish good relations with one..... either nice clean jeans or nice slacks and a collared shirt. I never go out in a T shirt. I was taught from a little kid on up.... that's underwear and you shouldn't wear it as outerwear.

Around the shop, it's regular jeans and a collared shirt. I feel most comfortable in that set up and believe if I work in that, when customers come in, they expect to see me at work..... or something closely related to work....... ;-)

RalphGS

the more important question to get more business is bayshorecreations: hair down or a ponytail? ;-)

as WWD says, it depends on the occasion but never in a suit or a tie.

casual tshirt or ironed(!) shirt it is

signmeup

Slacks? What are "slacks"? I know what "tights" are. Maybe slacks are the opposite...
I wear fairly new jeans and a t shirt.

Kottwitz-Graphics

the more important question to get more business is bayshorecreations: hair down or a ponytail? ;-)

LOL, when I had long hair, I always kept it pulled back into a pony tail, with a nice pewter celtic knot hair tie. My hair is always clean, shiny, and well kept.

Now that I'm mostly gray, at my wife's instance, I keep it cut short.

As far as dress, I wear a nice pair of jeans and a polo shirt. Most places are leary of someone that dresses "too" nice, at least in this part of the country.

sar bossier

Down here in the Carolinas - most places we would call on kind of laugh at you or treat you with disdain if you wear a suit to call on them - and I am talking big corporations, not local businesses. So we wear nice slacks and a branded company polo. In rare instances we will add a sport coat to that.

+1 ...:thumb:

petepaz

if i am trying really hard to get a new customer i will wear something tight and form fitting :ROFLMAO:

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Decent jeans or shorts and a polo shirt. We have our own shirt with our logo embroidered.

inthesignbiz

Slacks (nice shorts in the summer) and a polo.

However, no matter what I am wearing, there's a Panama hat
on me head. Kind of a trade mark.

OldPaint

i got long hair, so sandals seems to go along with no socks tank top and blue jean shorts WITH PAINT ON EM.........this way they know iam serious)))))))))))

locknload1

I always try to look like the "artist type" when selling sign work. Gives them the impression that they should butt out and let me take control of the design concept.

WOODBS

Fishing shirt with embroidered logo(columbia style), cargo type shorts and sanuks...why try to be someone your not

visual800

The best I wear is a company tshirt with cargo shorts WITHOUT paint on them. Im not wearing a damn suit to a sign bid. screw all that. I wanna be comfortable and relaxed not uptight. As far as does it matter? no I dont think it does