• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What entry-level laminator do you recommend?

flik

Hi. I've just got a Mimaki CJV150-75, and I am in the market for a laminator to use with the Mimaki. I intend to use both the machine for stickers and vinyl decals, mainly for labelling (products, cars/bikes, recreational, etc) - small to medium format printing. May I know what kind of laminator I could get with $1,000 budget that would fit my purpose and machine?

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
The Daige Solo laminators are good entry level laminators. You will be looking at around $1400 for the 38" version but you could probably talk a dealer down a little more. It is a bare bones settup that doesn't come with a stand so you have to buy one or make your own. I know some guys who just put it on a table. It doesn't come with the foot pedal but you can buy it separately. It's a true entry level machine.

ikarasu

I'd go with a manual laminator and save up until you can get a decent one. Always get a name brand, and don't cheap out. Expect to pay 3-5k for a good one. A good laminator is just as important as a good printer... If it doesn't have even pressure, you're going to ruin all your prints. I bought a $5000 laminator, and while it works perfectly... I wish I spung for the $10,000 seal laminator my work uses.

Big Squeegee Manual Laminating Tools

Buy something like this. Once your production / sales are high enough to justify a roll laminator, splurge and get a good one.

Active Sign

Sign Guy
$1000 is a good down payment for a decent entry laminator. Get a Royal Sovereign, decent and affordable. I’ve had the same 54” Royal in my shop since 2012 and we still use it everyday. Just have to get the technique down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CSOCSO

I don't hate paint, I just overlay it.
i used Royal sovereign cold laminator for years. It was a good machine. Then at the other shop guy had some who knows what brand orange colored cold lam with a manual crank wheel on the side ( it was electric but had that crank also) it was cheap and holly crap we had a ton of problem with it. So many mess ups! SO MANY! Opened my own shop. got myself a brand new Royal sovereign lam ( cold) and I LOVE IT! I can laminate full rolls like a breeze! it has front feeding roll and take up roll in the back. I don't even have to touch it. LOVE IT!

CSOCSO

i used Royal sovereign cold laminator for years. It was a good machine. Then at the other shop guy had some who knows what brand orange colored cold lam with a manual crank wheel on the side ( it was electric but had that crank also) it was cheap and holly crap we had a ton of problem with it. So many mess ups! SO MANY! Opened my own shop. got myself a brand new Royal sovereign lam ( cold) and I LOVE IT! I can laminate full rolls like a breeze! it has front feeding roll and take up roll in the back. I don't even have to touch it. LOVE IT!

mikesign

Don't get the Daige or Royal Sovereign. I have had both and neither are worth it. I now have a MVT-6000 for U.S. Tech. Great machine and you won't break the bank buying one.

ams

I recommend spending the money to getting something good. You get what you pay for and you don't get what you don't pay for. I recommend the SEAL Base EL-54

CSOCSO

just checked on that mvt 600... yeah i would stay with royal sovereign...

jesus. how heavy is this thing assembled? 500lbs-600? more? shipping weight is 700

JERHEMI

I bought a nice Seal Base 54 from the get go and it has served me well for almost 8-9 years or so? However, it did have quite the learning curve (like all laminators do) and I ruined a bunch of prints til I learned how to set up the rolls of laminate and operate it. If that thing did weight so much, I would have thrown it through a window many times with all the frustration it caused and wasted material and money it costed me! It’s easy for any machine to laminate a couple feet, but when you need to continuously laminate 50 feet, 100 feet or an entire 150 foot roll of vinyl and not have it skew off takes experience and it’s all in the initial setup of the roll then making sure you’re feeding your vinyl in it straight.

CSOCSO

i have a royal sovereign and laminate full rolls all day every day. Without touching anything. I just stand back and watch the laminator do its thing. I have used them before so i didn't have to learn anything. worked out perfectly from day 1

strypguy

I have a 30in Daige and a MVT-6000 from U.S. Tech and I have had no issues with either. Sometimes the learning curve is different from one person to another. I guess I am lucky enough to know how to set them up to work correctly. John