• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What' going on? Avery MPI 1105 Supercast EZRS/ DOL 1060Z

Sign Dimensions

I don't do a lot of wraps, but have done a few over the years. These photos show a wrap I did in November of 2016. The original wrap was done in 2013 with Avery MPI1005EZRS / Arlon 3220. Portions of that failed so I switched to MPI 1105 Supercast EZRS DOL 1060Z lam, because I was told the brand combo was the issue. The photos show the portions I replaced and it'd doing the same thing. Weird thing is, I wrapped a fleet of vans back in 2014 and they still look good.
Any ideas?
Roof Small.jpg
Hood Small.jpg
Driver Small.jpg

KMC

Graphic Artist
what was the other colour of the other wrap you did in 2014, was it lighter?
when did the customer first start to notice this happening?

in the product over view it doesn't state it how long for horizontal exposure, i would call avery and double check whats the deal is with that

Attachments

• 1105 Product Overview.pdf
    2.4 MB · Views: 271

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
It's not the vinyl, it's the laminate. The pictures show typical laminate burning. If you could remove the laminate, hypothetically, most likely you'd find the vinyl to be just fine. I've experienced this very same phenomenon in recent years. I stopped using vinyl laminates except in those rare situations where the client absolutely positively demanded it. I switched to Clear Shield Original Formula [I think it's called 'Classic' these days] liquid laminate and this problem disappeared.

On my own truck, which I sold last week, I wrapped the tailgate with a vinyl laminated print and applied three panels on the hood which were coated with Clear Shield. This was ~8 1/2 years ago. The tailgate displayed the burning after 4 or so years and I removed it as it was more of a condemnation than an advertisement. The panels on the hood looked just like the day I applied them when I sold it last week. Note that the tailgate is a vertical surface and the hood a horizontal surface. The horizontal surface receives far more UV than the vertical.

The liquid laminate is plenty tough but still doesn't have the inherent abrasion resistance of the vinyl but the liquid laminate exhibits far superior UV resistance.

Johnny Best

Didn't 3M come out with a special laminate years ago for horizontal installs such as roofs on cars and trucks.
But bob has been talking about how good that liquid laminate is for so long, I am going to buy some and try it out.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Thanks.
Bob, what vinyl do you use? I have an HP Latex 330. The MPI1105 is pretty thin to apply without laminate, no?
Also, do you roll or spray the Clear Shield?

I've used Oracal, 3M, Avery, and a host of others. Right now I'm using Avery 1105ABC-WTF-BFD-WHATEVER.

I've been using liquid laminate on 1105 since it first came out. The thickness of the vinyl should make no difference. You're adding a coating, be it more vinyl or liquid, the thickness of what you're coating shouldn't be a factor.

I apply Clear Shield thinned to the consistency of whole milk with a foam brush. Just mop it on and spread it with vertical and then horizontal strokes. Try not to leave any puddles. The stuff levels itself out quite nicely. Rolling tends to speed up drying and leaves too rough a surface that doesn't have time to level. Spraying takes way too much setup and cleanup time and lays down the material too thick as far as I'm concerned. Done properly a foam brush leaves a uniform smooth surface. Your mileage may vary.

a77

Would be fun to wrap a car... installer says "hey what lam did you use, this is gooey..". You answer: "should be fine... I mixed it to whole milk consistency"

MikePatterson

Head bathroom cleaner.
I noticed the same thing with Avery 1060z and 1360z after the reformulation. The life of the film is shorter than the old formula. We tested Arlon's new SLX but didn't like the base film but loved the lam. So now I am using 1105 with Arlon 3270. None of the MFG's will give you a warranty anyway and if they do cover it they will just replace the film that is bad and not the labor.

IMO Avery dropped the ball on their formulation on the laminates. 4-5 year film vertical, 2 year horizontal isn't going to cut it for our customers or us. We need a wrap to last 4 to 5 years period.

CSOCSO

I don't hate paint, I just overlay it.
Im puzzled. what was done in 2016 and what was done in 2013?

You biggest problem is using arlon lam.
I recommend using avery 1360z instead of 1060. It costs a little bit more but 1060 is very thin and even for the side they only give you 4 yr warranty. hood and roof couldn't be more than 1-2 yrs then.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Im puzzled. what was done in 2016 and what was done in 2013?

You biggest problem is using arlon lam.
I recommend using avery 1360z instead of 1060. It costs a little bit more but 1060 is very thin and even for the side they only give you 4 yr warranty. hood and roof couldn't be more than 1-2 yrs then.
You got it backwards... 1360Z is 1.3mil vs 1060 is 2mil, Secondly we have been using 1360 and 1360Z for the last 3.5 years and are now experiencing burning failures from horizontal surfaces from anything done since the release of the Z series laminates so about 24 months ago.

I'm worried its going to be a continuous trend.

I have attached pics of one of the failures we have repaired. The outside pics were taken 5 weeks before the inside pic (when we did the removal last week). It took us nearly 15 hours to remove the vinyl on the front half of the transit using steam, pressure sprayer, rapid remover, removal wheels, and other chemicals... its been a nightmare!

Attachments

• 20180613_150617.jpg
    20180613_150617.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 376
  • 20180613_150746.jpg
    20180613_150746.jpg
    1,011.1 KB · Views: 437
  • 20180613_150754.jpg
    20180613_150754.jpg
    630.8 KB · Views: 376
  • 20180724_093429.jpg
    20180724_093429.jpg
    895 KB · Views: 402

360wrapsOZ

Change over to 6460, you wont regret it (even tho it cost more). Even in the harsh Australian sun is holds up great and has the best warranty.