• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What happens when you don't get a permit

bannertime

The sign permit is $75 and they specify an "inspection fee" that is double the permit in the event a sign does not get a permit. Seems like the city should tell them to cough up $300 and move on. It's all about the money anyway or maybe someone at the city has a bruised ego. Sounds pretty similar to what happened here with a local bbq joint.

fresh

pretty much every town near me has something in the sign ordinance restricting murals like this. That being said, I'm sure they got way more than $6K worth of advertising out of it, so maybe that was their idea all along!

Stacey K

I like making signs
This reminds me of a funny story. My son has a summer job for a landscaping company. In the beginning of summer the owner told him if he ever hears him yell "RUN" he should just run through the yards and wait for a phone call. Well, it happened a few days later, the boss went running and the kids drove off. No permit. A few weeks after that, the boss and a contractor got into such a heated argument over who was supposed to pull the permit fists almost started flying. He yelled at my son to get into the truck. He was later told never to worry about it if he gets into a fight because he's never lost a fight, just get in the truck and stay away. As a mother I'm thinking...WTH! But as a teenage boy...it's the best, most exciting job ever! LOL!!! As for the landscaper, no fines yet that I know of!

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Ummm .... I duno about that. Bosses for teens are supposed to be role models for how business and life is conducted, especially if there is no father figure. I've had some pretty good role models that were my bosses and shaped who I am now. Had some stupid ones too but I don't like taking orders from dumb people so I left those jobs.

Stacey K

I like making signs
Ummm .... I duno about that. Bosses for teens are supposed to be role models for how business and life is conducted, especially if there is no father figure. I've had some pretty good role models that were my bosses and shaped who I am now. Had some stupid ones too but I don't like taking orders from dumb people so I left those jobs.
LOL, yes, I agree. No worries, this guy is actually a good guy and a really good customer of mine. He's checked in with me a couple times this summer to make sure I'm OK with the hours and the work. He whipped my son into a man this summer with 12 hour days of physical labor. My son is well paid and well respected so I'm not too concerned. Overall, it's been a very good experience for my son to learn what hard work is and be rewarded for it. There's some sketchy characters in the construction/excavating business and there's nothing wrong with seeing what it's like NOT to work in an office like we do. As for the running...I'm not a fan but we had a long discussion about that :) If it weren't for this job, I'm not sure he would venture 3 states away for college without his mommy and daddy by his side next year.

MikePatterson

Head bathroom cleaner.
I would put in for a variance at least before painting over them. Our city doesn't know what to do with signage. Hell, a friend that owns another shop has turned most of the other shops in town in for not pulling permits. The city doesn't do a thing about it.

fresh

I would put in for a variance at least before painting over them. Our city doesn't know what to do with signage. Hell, a friend that owns another shop has turned most of the other shops in town in for not pulling permits. The city doesn't do a thing about it.

its thousands $$ for us to apply for a variance in most towns. a variance for a $2K sign can be $10K.

rmaclucy

Get a variance. Cincinnati is horrible with their permitting. We actually waited 3 months for a revocable street privilege. We tell all our clients that permitting can take anywhere between 1 to 12 weeks to go through.

MikePro

it was $6k to paint it....chances are, the owners still haven't received the daily fines they'll keep running the tab on until it is covered/removed.
I was once fined $100/day for replacing a verizon wireless graphic with a pizza place graphic on their illuminated awning because I didn't pull a permit assuming that graphic changes for tenants were allowed. ...guess not!

...and yet, just up the street from us a bar owner paints the entire side of his building with a Pabst Blue Ribbon ad, because it was a "restoration" of one that the building had back in the 50's that had faded/washed-away a long time ago & therefore, considered "historic" and even got money from the city to pay for part of it.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
It's like little California down there... Million bucks for a house on a lot that you can't even fit a car in the driveway on.

I know...my brother was in town and we were driving through there and I told him these were all million dollar homes. He's like "why??" lol. I said because then they can tell all their friends they live in the Park Cities.

MikePatterson

Head bathroom cleaner.
Yall can keep anything east of 35W. I will be happy dealing with Fort Worth and cities west!!! As bad as I hate our code department here it's defiantly not as bad as out yalls way.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Only thing I know about Weatherford is I got a speeding ticket out there last year...and you guys have a very interesting looking courthouse... can't miss it!