• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Discussion What is different?

Robert Armerding

Listen Sharp
Wide open discussion.

I believe that the sign making industry is significantly different than most other industries.

How do you see it? What are some of the specific differences?

Let me start the ball rolling. Most of the signs you make are seen by thousands of people.

Just asking. :) :guido:

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
I'm going to politely disagree with your first statement.

While there are subtle nuances inherent to every type of business, people buy from people. At the end of the day, it's all about how you served the client...whether it's dipping out a triple-scoop ice cream sundae...or pumping out a septic tank. The product or service is only the vehicle to accomplish that task, and competence and excellence is the common thread that holds it all together.

Please....don't make this harder than it is.

JB

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Ahh.... ins't that the purpose of people who want to advertise ?? They want the largest audience possible to see there advertisements ?? That is the reason we get paid..... to do our job and do it right.

That's the bottom line..... to do your job and do it to the best of your ability.

Otherwise, the main differences of our work and others is nothing. In almost every other business, it's become a matter of pushing buttons and have big @ss equipment. If you had been around back in the days of when this was all done by hand, then you'd have a viable conversation or discussion on your hands.

Johnny Best

Almost every industry wants their product to be seen by thousands. Mike Lindel with MyPillow makes his product to be seen by millions. Beer and alcohol industries the same way. So I do not see the sign business to be that much different.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
Nope, going the same way as everything else. If people could order their signs ready made/designed on Amazon prime with one hour delivery we’d all be out a job.

kanini

Sitting at a gas station drinking morning tea I see hundreds of products from this industry, signs, labels, posters, stands... When I go out I see lighted signs, regular signs, pylons, cars with branding. Even with the current situation even if you only sit at home ordering takeaway or home delivery you get it delivered with a van that is branded, with (ideally) a guy wearing a branded jacket and cap, the food is in branded cardboard boxes. When it is all eaten and you throw it away, the (hopefully) branded dump truck collects your garbage. I think this industry is so wide you (mostly) reach out to a lot of different businesses, products etc. and that makes it so interesting. That is something you don't get from most other branches. As they say on the pawn stars show; you never know whats going to walk through that door.:D

Can you imagine a world without signs? No one would know where they were going and what they were doing. Although everyone likes to devalue our time and services, when it comes down to it we are pretty damn important. That being said, I think I'm gonna raise my prices :)

Nope, going the same way as everything else. If people could order their signs ready made/designed on Amazon prime with one hour delivery we’d all be out a job.
I'm so sick of everyone's Amazon Prime mentality. It seems that everyday I have to explain to people that I don't just wiggle the tip of my nose and have a completed sign fly out of my ass. No you can't have it today, no you can't have it tomorrow, you can get in line like the rest of the impatient people in the world. It's really what makes me hate this business most days....people suck.

Jeremiah

I'm so sick of everyone's Amazon Prime mentality. It seems that everyday I have to explain to people that I don't just wiggle the tip of my nose and have a completed sign fly out of my ***. No you can't have it today, no you can't have it tomorrow, you can get in line like the rest of the impatient people in the world. It's really what makes me hate this business most days....people suck.
I put work order clips on hooks in front of my work area /desk . When people ask me how long? Can I pick it. Up un an hour. I just point to the hooks with orders and say I'm a week out, right now. With that visual assist, they say ok here is the deposit .

Christian @ 2CT Media

I'm so sick of everyone's Amazon Prime mentality. It seems that everyday I have to explain to people that I don't just wiggle the tip of my nose and have a completed sign fly out of my ***. No you can't have it today, no you can't have it tomorrow, you can get in line like the rest of the impatient people in the world. It's really what makes me hate this business most days....people suck.
Adapt or Die, that is the way of business. If you can't find a way to do it faster, you will be relegated to a Niche business. Unfortunately, this is becoming our reality and there are companies thriving in rapid turn. Amazon is only one beast breathing down our neck and I wouldn't be surprised if their business model bleeds into ours forcing a change.

Stacey K

I like making signs
There's a lot of opportunities in our business. During these pandemic times I see just how important it is to be diversified. My friend in the town over has a screen printing business. 90% of her business had come from the schools...not a good time for that right now. It's a good idea now more than ever to diversify, sell a variety of items, in a variety of ways, to a variety of consumers.

Maybe we are a little different than some industries, or maybe other businesses don't think outside the box. It would be very difficult for your local home builder to sell online...or would it be? People buy tiny houses on Amazon and someone has to make the plans and prepare the kit.

Jeremiah

Hmmm. Are some. In our business, Sell Outs ? If Amazon can sell for half of our prices and they order from several sign companies. Are the sign companies selling to Anazon for 25% of standard prices and pushing to cut quality corners for fast turn around ? I dont lower my price on small amounts, but people can save. With larger amounts. I explain to customers that see my sample area. " these are just samples , they are not in a box that I can pull one from. ALL CUSTOM WORK.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Hmmm. Are some. In our business, Sell Outs ? If Amazon can sell for half of our prices and they order from several sign companies. Are the sign companies selling to Anazon for 25% of standard prices and pushing to cut quality corners for fast turn around ? I dont lower my price on small amounts, but people can save. With larger amounts. I explain to customers that see my sample area. " these are just samples , they are not in a box that I can pull one from. ALL CUSTOM WORK.
You have to remember that your market may be more expensive than other markets. The internet allows lower-cost markets to sell to high-cost ones and defacto undercut those markets.

Amazon is the king of this currently and many in our industry are starting to follow suit. That is a business model that services 1 type of customer, the cost or time conscious one. The danger comes when these companies can start to offer personalized service with cost and speed.

Jeremiah

You have to remember that your market may be more expensive than other markets. The internet allows lower-cost markets to sell to high-cost ones and defacto undercut those markets.

Amazon is the king of this currently and many in our industry are starting to follow suit. That is a business model that services 1 type of customer, the cost or time conscious one. The danger comes when these companies can start to offer personalized service with cost and speed.
What I must remember is that my personal customer service can not be replaced by someone who does not offer it. My business approach will last as long as I give good customer service. No the sky is not falling !