• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What is legal?

tim99

Hello I recently found myself having to many people not paying me for there signage. what can I legally say/do to them that might give them some motivation to pay? I sure would like to go remove there sign I put up (in some cases 10 months ago) and I gave up on phone calls and letters as I never get a response unless I leave an angry message.

Techman

first. Make sure you get a signed work order.

Second,, get a reasonable deposit.

Third, Get paid when delivered before the install.

And finally, you have to get some testosterone just once and show every one you mean business. File on them in some manner to get paid.

tim99

first. Make sure you get a signed work order.

Second,, get a reasonable deposit.

Third, Get paid when delivered before the install.

And finally, you have to get some testosterone just once and show every one you mean business. File on them in some manner to get paid.

Hey techman thanks for the quick response, I got the first two down but dropped the ball on the third.....my mistake for being so trusting. in any case I guess what I really want to know is, the sign legally mine until its paid or just until I deliver? another client ordered a sign and we agreed that full payment would be made within 30 days of order as they only due the do billing once a month. I still have yet to receive any payment at all from them and was considering putting a large blank banner over the sign untie I received the payment...

OldPaint

does your mechanic, plumber, a/c repairman.......................let you get away with out payment when work is completed???
then WHY ARE LETTING STUFF OUT THE DOOR..WITHOUT ANY PAYMENT???
YOU ARE THE PROBLEM..........fix it.

tim99

does your mechanic, plumber, a/c repairman.......................let you get away with out payment when work is completed???
then WHY ARE LETTING STUFF OUT THE DOOR..WITHOUT ANY PAYMENT???
YOU ARE THE PROBLEM..........fix it.
wow thanks for pointing out the obvious ill keep that in mind for future reference, however this doesn't help me solve my current problem.

HulkSmash

wow thanks for pointing out the obvious ill keep that in mind for future reference, however this doesn't help me solve my current problem.

Pray and hope they pay you. You honestly can't do much.

When you finish a product, it doesn;t leave your shop until it's paid.

Techman

I had that same experience a while ago. Broke my own rules over faith and word of another.
I went back after a while and simply told him I was taking the sign back.
Had him sign a release form and took it down.
Sometimes showing some balls will get you a win from intimidation alone.

visual800

Just go take sign down and wait for the phone to ring. Trust me they will call and I would not be in any hurry to contact them back. Some on here say you will get in trouble I say I have done it and will do it again. It is very quick and effective.​

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Just go take sign down and wait for the phone to ring. Trust me they will call and I would not be in any hurry to contact them back. Some on here say you will get in trouble I say I have done it and will do it again. It is very quick and effective.​

Bad advice. Merely because you might have gotten away with it doesn't make it good advice.

Your issue with the deadbeat is a civil matter. Repossessing a sign can be a criminal matter. When the local gendarmes arrive they don't care a pinch of ossified wombat snot who owes who what, that being a civil matter. They would, however, be interested in what gives every appearance of a case of grand theft sign. With you being the thief and the deadbeat being the victim.

This could even go so far as you successfully retrieving the sign and then the deadbeat filling criminal charges against you. And making them stick. This level of functional a$$hole is seldom encountered but they do exist nonetheless.

WildWestDesigns

Bad advice. Merely because you might have gotten away with it doesn't make it good advice.

Your issue with the deadbeat is a civil matter. Repossessing a sign can be a criminal matter. When the local gendarmes arrive they don't care a pinch of ossified wombat snot who owes who what, that being a civil matter. They would, however, be interested in what gives every appearance of a case of grand theft sign. With you being the thief and the deadbeat being the victim.

This could even go so far as you successfully retrieving the sign and then the deadbeat filling criminal charges against you. And making them stick. This level of functional a$$hole is seldom encountered but they do exist nonetheless.

Very very true.

Some judges do not like it when people indulge in what they would call "self help". Even if their customer is a dead beat, those judges still might rule against you. They don't tend to reward illegal behavior.

In this jurisdiction (Tennessee) and I might add in Alabama, if you want to have repossession abilities it has to be stated in your contract and it has to be clearly stated as repossession. Some people, even on here, have talked about using colorful language like "emergency repairs". That won't fly in Tennessee or in Alabama. If it's repossession, it has to be clearly stated as repossession. Now, depending on other laws, I would imagine certain signage is exempt from repossession due to how it's installed onto the client's premises. I don't know about Colorado though.

I think perhaps the biggest reason is that this type of case is seldom encountered is due to people's lack of knowledge of the law when it comes to repossession. Some accidentally stumble upon in just trying to have something to sue for on their end when they get sued for lack of payment.

visual800

Your issue with the deadbeat is a civil matter. Repossessing a sign can be a criminal matter. When the local gendarmes arrive they don't care a pinch of ossified wombat snot who owes who what, that being a civil matter. They would, however, be interested in what gives every appearance of a case of grand theft sign. With you being the thief and the deadbeat being the victim

As I said some will take it back some will not. As far as me being accused of theft bring it on. I have been threatened before but as I thought nothing came of it. Why waste time dragging this thru a civil matter?

Z SIGNS

I agree with Visual.If you delivered every thing that was agreed on and they are not paying go take your sign down. I've done it before and I'll do it again.Never had a problem and never heard of anyone having a problem.Let them take you to court and explain to a judge"he took back the sign I didn't pay for"

Billct2

I worked at a shop where we repo-d some signs. The cops were at the shop the next day, they knew us and didn't want to have to do anything, but told us if the guy could prove we took the signs we'd be arrested. Once you install it it's not yours anymore unless you have a contract that has the right language in it to allow repossession.
You've learned a lesson that most of us have, some more than once. You can pusue through the courts, but you better have good documentation, or you can go black ops and repo.

ChicagoGraphics

This is only for if you know your not going to be paid, and its not over say 250.00, get some solvent and spray the whole sign down and let the vinyl or print fall off, same goes for windows.

I agree with visual to, I had my installers take signs down for non payment

ThinkRight

Legal Smeagle
If you are not gonna go take the signs back...or sue him.
Just have your lawyer put a Lien on the property . That may not get you paid any faster but it will keep the owner from getting loans or selling.
And if it is in a shopping center , the landlord will not like having liens put on the property.

OldPaint

WELLLL.....WHAT DO YOU EXPECT?? and given me YOUR TUDE... dont mean crap to me, YOU SCREWED UP, HAVE NO REAL RECOURSE, BECAUSE OF YOUR OWN INEPTNESS....
now see how far your tude will help you.))))))))))
chalk it up to experience, DONT LET IT EVER HAPPEN AGAIN..... and that will make it a good learning experience for you.

nashvillesigns

Making America great, one sign at a time.
getting paid

okay. for the posters who scolded the thread leader like a red-headed step child ....congrats...

NOW LEST TRY TO ANSWER THE EFFING QUESTION....

1. if the business is on yelp, burn it. explain to customers the sign is not paid for. the whole deal. that is very embarrasing.
2. get a legal document threatening to increase some kind of interest rate monthly
3. (my Fav.) wait till they leave and follow them home a few times at night. don't do anything stupid, just wave and smile when they see you rolling.
4. this one works really well. most of the time they don't expect it. give them a lower price when you are standing there with your hand out. bring a recepit showing you mean it.

after all some money is better than no money..... not some huge discount. 15% 20% is still better than 0%.

(of course, my list above is not to be done in its order given. they are suggestions that are not endorsed or recommended by me or my business. they are thoughts spewing outta my mouth....)
May the force be with you.
-mosher

MR. Graphics

You could send them a certified letter to pay or be sent to a collection agency, include the due invoice and a self addressed stamped envelope. after 30 days call the collection agency ( they will harrass them until payment is made).