• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What is the best way to template an existing decal shape?

MrSalumi

Hey all, I'm working on my buddies go kart which has a decal kit on it already. I am going to try to recreate the decal pattern and have an idea of how to do it but I thought that I would check to see if anyone had a better idea.

Best idea I have so far:
Remove the decals and put them on a solid color background surface like a sheet of coro something. Out a reference scale somewhere (like a one inch by one inch square). Then take a straight on digital picture and resize it in PS until the reference square is accurate. Then mask out the background color. Then take that to illustrator and trace, expand the outlines....

Am I on the right track here?

Thx Sal

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I have no problem with a straight on photo but I do have one with the scaling. I would take a full height and width measurement and then scale it to that. From there you can trace it or mask it as suits your needs.

MrSalumi

Thanks everyone! I'm glad I'm on the right track. I've decided to do the wall reference point method. Here goes nothing.

Mosh

faster way...call the place he got the original ones and order them....or do it how you are doing. PITA.

ace sign co

We apply the graphics to the grid side of trash laminate paper so we have a size reference. And then take a square picture from above.

Supergirl

I use clear transfer tape to create templates.
then stick it on white colored background with a measuring tape anywhere and take a photo from above.

then in illustrator, scale so the tape in the picture is 1:1 and draw my shape with the pen tool.

so, you're on the right track.