• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What Is The Monthly Software Rental Fee Total If You Rent Like A Drunken Sailor?

player

So what would it cost to rent Adobe Master Suite + Corel + Flexi + Onyx + Painter + Quickbooks + Tracer + Windows + Microsoft Office + + + + +?

What programs are available and how much do they rent for?

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
I dunno, but he or she probably owns a Chevy, Ford, Hyundai, Mini Cooper, Mercedes, Jaguar, BMW and a Triumph. AND has cable, satellite, high speed internet streaming, and XL Radio.

JB

player

I dunno, but he or she probably owns a Chevy, Ford, Hyundai, Mini Cooper, Mercedes, Jaguar, BMW and a Triumph. AND has cable, satellite, high speed internet streaming, and XL Radio.
A sign and design biz needs Adobe. A sign specific program like Flexi is useful. Corel is pretty handy. A rip like Oynx is required for printing...

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Why you wanna depress people so early in the day? Dont make me think of all the monthly's I have to pay.. I like to think it's just a few $10 subscriptions.... I mean, A LOT of a few...

WildWestDesigns

Why you wanna depress people so early in the day? Dont make me think of all the monthly's I have to pay.. I like to think it's just a few $10 subscriptions.... I mean, A LOT of a few...

Hah, Adobe is at what $53 a month (they started at $50 back in 2010 when it first came out). I think Flexi is at $60 a month. Corel is $17.

I think with Adobe and Flexi there are discounts signing up for per annum. Don't know about Corel.

Windows is only a subscription for Enterprise users right now (bundled in with their 365 lineup).

Fun, fun times. Everything and I do mean everything seems to be subscription only and everyone and I do mean everyone wants to have their own unique subscription (I've actually gone beyond software here in case haven't guessed). It's really really out of hand.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Besides regular utilities,

Microsoft Office, Quickboos, Netflix, Wall Street Journal, Signs101, Google Storage, Skype, Slideline.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Our monthly subscriptions are getting a little crazy. Just got an email from Dropbox proudly stating that our plan is going up $46.88 a year....with no real benefits that I can see.

Then there's Quickbooks, Adobe CC, soon to be Corel, etc etc.

Definitely miss the old days when you could just buy software every couple of years but I guess there's no way around it. On the plus side......I guess you're always current. Whatever peace of mind that provides.

WildWestDesigns

On the plus side......I guess you're always current. Whatever peace of mind that provides.

Not much peace of mind there (especially with being always current on a Windows 10 (my dad is always having issues with Win 10 (this isn't going to be everyone, but my experience with that has really tainted me with this)).

Run the risk at some point of also having to upgrade your hardware due to a recent version of software may not be compatible with OS your running (and by extension the hardware parts as well, bare in mind to that since Win 10 gets feature updates twice a year, the version of Win 10 that was out in 2015, isn't the same as what is out now (not all the hardware that was supported in 2015 is no longer supported)). This is the biggest troubling part with Adobe mandating no older then x-1 as far as their software goes.

This is a real mess, it really is. I can understand the business reasons of why a mature software vendor like Adobe (Corel) would go to subscription as they need money in and it's harder and harder with mature software. And I don't on a certain level begrudge them that, but what recently happened with Dolby (which prompted this no further back then x-1) makes me really happy that I don't have to deal with this mess.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
I knew this was all going to happen once the subscription trend kicked in. Since then I've actively moved myself away from nearly all of those services as I refuse to having to pay indefinitely for things I could once get a perpetual licence for.
We now run our own email server, web server, cloud/data server, still run CS6 Suite, Office 2013 and Windows 7 (and around 10 Ubuntu VM servers for various tasks). It's a great learning experience, however not for everyone I admit.
If I could find a better alternative for TeamViewer I'd be moving away from that too... It's the only subscription we currently have.

WildWestDesigns

I knew this was all going to happen once the subscription trend kicked in. Since then I've actively moved myself away from nearly all of those services as I refuse to having to pay indefinitely for things I could once get a perpetual licence for.

I did as well. Once Adobe went subscription, I was going to keep CS6 around as long as I could and then seek out alternatives. Once Win 10 came out and the direction that that OS was going in I switched platforms (no not to a Mac), as a rolling release Win 10 is not really all that great for production sensitive work like most on here do.

WildWestDesigns

Who cares? I used to spend hundreds of dollars a year on brushes (back when I was making $5/hr.).

Yes, but you also had more control over what you could do with those brushes after you bought them. Not so much nowadays with some of the software. There was always restrictions on software (depending on the development model, some had more then others), but now it's really, really got restrictive. Paying more, have more restrictions. To me, that's no bueno. I would prefer to pay more and have more ability to do with what I'm paying for then to pay more and have less ability. That's why I personally care.

Anything can change at a moments notice and even though "you" paid your lb of flesh for the software, because of some accounting error on someone else's end could affect you and how you are able to use said software. Now, this is apart of what one signs up for depending on the EULA, but to me, it's enough to be concerned with the direction it's going in.

WildWestDesigns

I have bought 4 chromebooks for family members that have no need for a true computer.

I was I could get away with that. Unfortunately, he does need a true computer. If he didn't need specific programs that are only on Win or Mac (he tried to go Mac and 3 weeks later he was ready to toss it in the trash), I would have had him on a NUC with some KDE based distro (my son uses KDE neon on his NUC (and I use it on my true computers).

myront

CorelDRAW is best
We primarily work with Corel X7 (non-subscription). Gotten away with no subscription based software (corel, adobe, signlab, etc. for nearly 30 years. We were forced to get a subscription to Adobe. I rarely use it..We also have a subscription to Flexi but only use it for the RIP. There are plenty of free programs that can be used as well. I see/hear the rumors that Corel will eventually go to a subscription only but we'll be holding out as long as we can. Or until I retire whichever comes first!

WildWestDesigns

I see/hear the rumors that Corel will eventually go to a subscription only

I'm more then a little concerned when seeing "Upgrade now before purchasing options change", right on their website.

Add that to the yearly release schema (this should have been a real red flag to people for the direction that this is going) that they have been following for awhile.

I do not see this ending well for end users.

Let's not forget the little "testing" that Adobe was doing with the price increase for the photography package (there is no reason to suspect that there wouldn't be price hikes for the CC package as well, it's already had one price increase (albeit very small)).

Now Adobe does have another revenue stream (that I think it actually gets more from then CC), I don't see Corel having any such backup revenue stream.

Brave new software world out there. At least it better be.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
I'm more then a little concerned when seeing "Upgrade now before purchasing options change", right on their website.....

Yep. I see that now.
Options
1. Purchase the upgrade if eligible @ $199 ea (we use 4) = approx $800. Good for as long as you want to use it. Usually 5-8 years
2. Subscription without "upgrade" protection (no free new version) @ $198 p/yr. $800 X 5 years = $4000!
3. Subscription with protection (stay up to date) @ $199 + $99 per/yr/per copy is $299 x 4 lic x 5 years = $6000!

Am I missing something? Option 1 is what we've all been doing since the inception. Why change now?

• Agree
Reactions: asd

WildWestDesigns

Yep. I see that now.
Options
1. Purchase the upgrade if eligible @ $199 ea (we use 4) = approx $800. Good for as long as you want to use it. Usually 5-8 years
2. Subscription without "upgrade" protection (no free new version) @ $198 p/yr. $800 X 5 years = $4000!
3. Subscription with protection (stay up to date) @ $199 + $99 per/yr/per copy is $299 x 4 lic x 5 years = $6000!

Am I missing something? Option 1 is what we've all been doing since the inception. Why change now?

Those 3 options are what exist now, not later this year.

"Later this year, upgrades (download and box products) will no longer be available."

OPENSignsInc.

I'm not a big fan of program subscriptions either. I can see that it probably helps on cracking down on piracy and lowering startup costs, but I don't like having to rely on the cloud or remember to have enough in my bank account to work.

I use gimp, inkscape and signlab 10 (started with 6 back in 1998 and upgraded through 8, 8.1 & 9 over the years since I can just upgrade to the newest version (usually for half price at ~$500/seat) with 90 days tech support - usually upgrade it because of getting new printers :banghead:) for design. I'm hoping they dont go sub based before I have to get another printer.:(

Im pretty tech savvy and I built the 2 computers (i5 w/ 16gb) a couple years ago from parts off Amazon and run Windows 10 on them.

I use TightVNC and RemoteRipple (on my android phone) to control my computers at work when I'm at home or in the field.

kcollinsdesign

Old member
I orkensnorked my finbalen with the JUK432v2 adjunct hossenfeffer, then hooked that up to my BS100 snickledorfer. I was able to program a simple OS using Double Cobra, and using my brother inlaw's federal security code hack the jankyhogen to work with a simple UMIX protocol. Anybody with 10 years programming experience and a background in electrical engineering should be able to do that. Sheesh, what's the matter with you all? It only took me 40 hours, but I SAVED $15.25 (amortized over 5 years, not including my time, which was worth it to me to give it to the man).

Meanwhile, my competition payed the $200 subscription cost, and spent 40 hours making $5,000.