• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What is this vinyl?

Switchblade

Hi guys, I'm new to sign making still so bear with me if this is super obvious. Can anyone identify what kind of vinyl this is? The customer had another sign company do it, so I'm not sure of the material and we don't normally do this type of thing. It's opaque and dark on the outside and from the inside it appears to be frosted, it was applied from the inside.
Thank You, SB

Attachments

• IMG_20180530_100755.jpg
    IMG_20180530_100755.jpg
    1,009.6 KB · Views: 410
  • IMG_20180530_101048.jpg
    IMG_20180530_101048.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 357

letterman7

Windows look tinted to me. It doesn't take much to make an etched vinyl change color when the light hits it from the outside. Peel an unobtrusive corner down at the bottom and see if you can tell for sure.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
This is gonna sound dumb, but why don't they get the first guy to tell them ?? It should be on the invoice and if it isn't, they should be able to call and request someone give them the specs on the windows they had done. Afterall, it is their window(s) and they deserve to know what was used.

Billct2

Well if the client called me to ask about the specs of the material I used I may or may not want to divulge information obviously being used to have someone else do the work. At best I'd give a generic response, which would be on the invoice anyhow, like you said. If I was trying to figure it out I'd start by taking a piece of the material I thought it was and sticking it on the window to see if it matches.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
That could very easily be, but why not peel a corner down and tell company #1 that it's coming apart and when they come to fix it, ask them point blank what they're using ??

However, your method of deduction is the best way, if the OP wants to figure it out on his own. It could take time and using several trips to figure it out, might make him/her look like a dufus to the customer anyway, resulting in going back to company #1.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
That first pic looks like diffuser vinyl....too opaque to be etch.

Marlene

I always wonder why a customer is calling me when they had the job done by another company. Ask them to look at the invoice for the job as it should have a description of what was done.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
I always wonder why a customer is calling me when they had the job done by another company. Ask them to look at the invoice for the job as it should have a description of what was done.
It's the same mentality behind the customer that calls wanting a price for a sign, you give it to them, and they tell you "my guy does it for half that price." THEN WHY ARE YOU FREAKING CALLING ME?!!!