• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What kind of panel would you use for this post?

WhatsYourSign?

A local farmer would like to hang a 6'W x 4'H sign from the post pictured below.

I have concerns (that I've talked to him about) about the sign breaking away from the post with a strong gust of wind.

For some perspective you can see the fence post below the sign post. The arm the sign will have from is 8' long.

If you were going to have a sign from this post, what kind of panel would you use?

It obviously needs to be something with a high weight:strength ratio.

Any advice would be appreciated.

ER3JLzR_d.jpg

rjssigns

Run Forrest run. Too many variables starting from the ground up. How was the footing constructed? Does it meet wind load calcs for the area? How old is it? May look good on the outside while rust is eating away the inside.
Wind load for me on a 6' x 4' panel is 720 pounds. Then you need to calculate the leverage exerted at the base. Sign that big would need "stays" at the bottom.

In a nutshell: Do you want to be responsible if something fails?

chester215

Just call me Chester.
Instead of just putting in holes and grommeting them i would use the attached bracket.
I am not sure if a wind chain on the bottom of the panel would help or hurt you.
SHA1050SS.png

Billct2

I'm amazed sometimes at what post & arm will hold. You say he will hang it, if that's the case it's his responsibilty to make sure it will handle it. That probably originally held a wood sign, or maybe even steel framed sheet metal. I would use 3/4" MDO, it should be heavy so its doesn't flop around in the wind. And the sign hangers shown above,or even better some longer straps so you can get a couple thru bolts on each. And no check chain. Swinging signs should swing, trying to limit them puts more stress on the arm. Either let it swing or make it rigid.