• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What kind of PC do you get for large format files .tiffs and such

depps74

I recently got some large print orders that my PC can't handle. Any advice on what kind of hardware I need to get large files processed?

I currently have 8G Ram and a solid state drive running on a PC windows 10.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
What happens? Do they just not open or do you get an error code? A lot of times you might not be able to open a file due to lack of memory but the RIP processes the file in a way that memory shouldn't be an issue to RIP it but it will slow it down. So usually you can RIP a large file without opening it. Obviously if you need to edit it or something that will be a problem.

Basically, more RAM is what will help you process larger files but a good graphics card will help a lot when it comes to opening files to edit. Make sure you are up to date on your graphics drivers as well. If you don't have a graphics card at all, that is your issue.

To put a cherry on top you can get a fast processor but that doesn't help much after you get to a certain speed so you don't need to go out and get a high end processor or anything. Intel i5s should work fine and you could even get by on an i3. AMD has a bunch of cheaper options which I won't list here but if you are doing your research make sure to include them. Make sure all of your memory is all the same type and brand so it works more efficiently. SSD always helps which you already have.

But in the end, the graphics card is the key for editing files. It's what actually renders the image in the end. But for RIPing, Memory and a fast processor are the key.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
The bigger question is what is classified as a "big" file. Larger than 700MB has some "wrongs" going on.i.e. designed in photoshop at full size (2ft x 30ft) and 300dpi or more. Overkill

The attached image shows the specs on our design computer. We purchased it four years ago and it's been a solid performer ever since. We spent over $2,000 for it and didn't even bat an eyelash.

That would be around $1,500

With the time it saves, it will pay itself off the first year.

i7
32 gigs ram
Solid state C drive
2nd 2 to 5 gig data drive
Healthy graphics card

This is exactly what we have. The solid state drive gets things done so incredibly fast.

Attachments

• Windows.jpg
    Windows.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 367

ams

The attached image shows the specs on our design computer. We purchased it four years ago and it's been a solid performer ever since. We spent over $2,000 for it and didn't even bat an eyelash.

With the time it saves, it will pay itself off the first year.

If that was a 4.0 Ghz processor, that thing would haul butt

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
Don’t forget the specs for the all-important scratch disk, also known as page disk, required by most image editing software and RIPs.

As a point of reference, see the screen shot below made today of a 15 year old pre-Intel Mac with only 4G RAM total. Open are 5 files of 1.8G each totaling 9G of Photoshop CS2 files. Notice open, but totaling more than the machine has RAM.

Photoshop will use RAM as available but will always page file to disk as part of its normal process. Of course RAM is important as some operations in PS and other software can only operate in RAM such as certain filters, etc. The old rule of thumb for Photoshop was 4 times the scratch disk for your open file(s). RIPs don’t really require a lot of RAM but do require a lot of page space.

Attachments

• LargeOpenFiles.jpg
    LargeOpenFiles.jpg
    196 KB · Views: 362
If that was a 4.0 Ghz processor, that thing would haul butt

It still haul's a$$. I've been very happy with it since day one. Then I go home at night and work on my home PC and I just want to throw it through the window. Fortunately, at home I have dual monitors so that saves me a bit of time, but my processor at home is SLOOOOW. But that's what you get when you spend $600 on a touch screen PC at "Worst Buy".

WildWestDesigns

That would be around $1,500

The biggest thing is what's the ROI? How quick (or long) does it pay for itself. That's the real question.

I'm a little different, I prefer xeon processors with ECC ram, but I do things differently then a lot on here so that's to be expected. "You" would have to shop around to get a xeon processor and 32 GB of ECC ram for $1500. It's doable, but "you'll" have to shop around. I think Signburt's top of the line computers run xeon processors and ECC ram or at least they are a top tier option of theirs.

But for my workflow, it more then makes up for the additional costs.

Running 64G of Ram, 8 core processor, 2 PCI e 500G hard drives, 3 500g SSD drives, and 11GB video card, bunch of other crap in there, assembled myself ran close to $4400 when if was finished. There has not been a single file that has ever slowed it and I have a couple client that send graphic files that range between 1-1.5 GB before un-zipping. All I can say is the kids these companies hire out of art school have no idea how to clean up a file or prepare for printing.

Superior_Adam

Do not go cheap on a design or RIP computer. We spend right about $3,000 on all design computers and $1,800 on RIP computers. The time it takes for a slow computer to process things is a pain and frustrating. We have ours built by a local company. If anything goes wrong they will have it fixed the same day. Yes you can build your own for cheaper but what happens when it crashes? You are down until parts arrive, and if your not computer savvy and cant diagnose the issue you will be chasing around trying to figure out what is even wrong.

timkaz227

I think it depends on the type of work and production volume you are doing as well as your budget. I Built a new PC(First Time) w/ an AMD Ryzen 1600 CPU, 8 GB Ram, SSD & Standard Hard drive and a video card I got on craigslist. Whole PC w/ case & power supply was only $500. I never have any issues. Also very fulfilling.

burgmurk

You don't need an I9 with 32gb ram and a GTX1080 to process a big tiff. Sure it's nice to have that speed, but a 10 year old machine with integrated graphics can do it too.
I'd suspect that either something is up with the file, the pc, or pebkac.

clarizeyale

My computer has been custom built... here are the specs I think that help? (I didn't build it and I'm not that well versed in all this mumbo jumbo, says the millennial)

Processor - i9-7900x CPU @ 3.30GHz 3.31GHz
RAM - 64 GB
1 1TB SSD
1 2TB SSD
I think I have 2 500gb hard drives and 1 2TB hard drives (LOL?)
not sure about video/graphics card but I'm sure it's a good one
liquid cooling (the only thing I think that's super cool about this computer LOL)
and dual screens - a BenQ screen for AI/RIP/other software (cuz colors are awesome!), a regular Dell that I open emails and other stuff on that side.

The computer before used to be sooooooooo slooowwwww…. and some of the files I would receive would take forever to open, upload, rip, send, etc. Now it's sped up and has been so much easier to work with but I find it funny that when I open very large files, it'll slow down a bit and I get a lil frustrated then when I go to a coworkers computer, it's the slowest thing ever and I'm sooo happy my computer runs at the speed it's at.

Bly

As well as those specs above make sure all your network cards are gigabit.
Working on and printing huge files across a network will slow down if the network cards aren't up to it.