• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What material for Posted Signs

Signed Out

Not looking to make aluminum ones, we've done .024" alum in the past, works great, but client isn't interested. They want thin flexible poster like signs, I'm thinking a rigid pvc film? Has anybody used this stuff before,
upload_2020-5-18_13-51-38.png
? Will it be good for outdoor use 3-5 year? Anybody have any suggestions on a rigid outdoor film?

Billct2

If this is for doing woods, where it will be attached to trees and wood posts I switched to banner material with hems. The hem is strong enough to hold staples and the material doesn't fray. And it's cheap.

Signed Out

If this is for doing woods, where it will be attached to trees and wood posts I switched to banner material with hems. The hem is strong enough to hold staples and the material doesn't fray. And it's cheap.

Doing a couple hundred, definitely don't want to use banner material and hem it. Too time consuming for our setup.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I have no idea what that product is that you mentioned, but what I've used for decades is something called railroad board. It's about a 14ply cardstock with a clay coating and you can direct print on it and it should last at least 1 to 2 years outside.

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
Not sure if the SIHL is outdoor rated. Maybe a 15oz or even an 18oz banner. You can straight trim those without issue...probably less expensive than the material you were talking about. Otherwise a 40pt styrene would work.

RICHARD SIMMONS

Not looking to make aluminum ones, we've done .024" alum in the past, works great, but client isn't interested. They want thin flexible poster like signs, I'm thinking a rigid pvc film? Has anybody used this stuff before, View attachment 147147 ? Will it be good for outdoor use 3-5 year? Anybody have any suggestions on a rigid outdoor film?
I have used rigid PVC and apply the print. Most of the time the PVC becomes yellow on the other side, so check this out !!

Raum Divarco

General Manager CUTWORX USA / Amcad & Graphics
Not looking to make aluminum ones, we've done .024" alum in the past, works great, but client isn't interested. They want thin flexible poster like signs, I'm thinking a rigid pvc film? Has anybody used this stuff before, View attachment 147147 ? Will it be good for outdoor use 3-5 year? Anybody have any suggestions on a rigid outdoor film?
There are many nice HDPE options out there. There are also pvc sheets with more vinyl content. for outside signs when i need, i like the almost plumbing grade pvc sheets. many of these options are print friendly. some will require use with promoter applications.

Signed Out

That stuff is only rated for short term outdoor use.

Ended up running off a sample for the customer on .024" aluminum like we would normally make them. He loved them, couldn't believe that they were as flexible as they were... So win win all around, his posted signs will easily last 10+ years and I already have about a dozen sheets of 024 in stock.