• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What material should I use for racing stripes?

cmaxdesigns

I have a customer who would like bubble gum pink racing stripes installed on her truck. If I install 3m IJ35 calendared vinyl with cast lam will it perform ok? Does anyone have suggestions for alternative material? Thanks.

dman0427

Ditto on the cast only...
I accidentally grabbed the wrong roll of blue for some racing stripes on a truck... I thought I used cast, but it must have been calendared. The truck came back peeling terribly some months later. I'll never make that mistake again.

cmaxdesigns

Thanks for the feedback and suggestions looks like I will be going with cast.

Auto-FX- I looked at the 3M magenta and it is a bit too dark, maybe I should print the pink color. Thanks for the suggestion though.

msenjur

let me ask some other questions for these racing stripes.

We are about to do these stripes on Mini Morris. And as it look on first sight, it would be an easy job. But, i remember that some folks were asking here how to do it, and i read, that it isnt so easy. So, how should we start? first take some samples of lines, or what? i really wouldnt like to cut straight lines on car...

"Deposit Please"

Pink Racing Stripes

Yummy, bubble gum pink racing stripes. Did this last year. My first and only pink racing stripes. Definitely go cast.

Attachments

• 100_0863 mod.jpg
    100_0863 mod.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 113
W

wetgravy

Anyone who cuts a racing stripe ON the vehicle for any reason deserves to be shot because 9 times out of 10 ... you'll cut the thin paint on the car. ... on monday alone I saw a truck that had about 6 cuts in the paint on either side because the sticker monkey who he normally did his vinyl used an x-acto to make it even on both sides ... took 6 tries though and still messed it up to the point where he had to take it off.

Take measurements, lots of them. Make a rough template based on your measurements to give angles, areas of indentation and where things stick out of the metal or where there is a seam, and use those vector skills to design a cut you like ... and for the love of all that is unholy ... use a plotter. In the last 6 months I've replaced 4 stripes that some vinyl jocky just cut with an exacto, ruler shifted and made bad edges ... or they really have shaky hands. you have a machine that can be more precise than you if you let it.

Bradster941

Anyone who cuts a racing stripe ON the vehicle for any reason deserves to be shot because 9 times out of 10 ... you'll cut the thin paint on the car. ... on monday alone I saw a truck that had about 6 cuts in the paint on either side because the sticker monkey who he normally did his vinyl used an x-acto to make it even on both sides ... took 6 tries though and still messed it up to the point where he had to take it off.

Take measurements, lots of them. Make a rough template based on your measurements to give angles, areas of indentation and where things stick out of the metal or where there is a seam, and use those vector skills to design a cut you like ... and for the love of all that is unholy ... use a plotter. In the last 6 months I've replaced 4 stripes that some vinyl jocky just cut with an exacto, ruler shifted and made bad edges ... or they really have shaky hands. you have a machine that can be more precise than you if you let it.

Not to :thread

but I wonder if this would be a good arguement, (and time saver), to use Knifeless Tape ?

http://knifelesstechsystems.com/TrainingVideos.aspx