• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help What order to Choke/Spread with Silver Medal?

Help! I can not figure out how to get my decals to print right. I have tried almost every order of printing, and every choke/spread, but somehow it always leaves white circles. It is only 1.375 inch long by 0.15 inch tall, so I am having a hard time figuring out how to bleed the black into the silver without minimizing the red circles.

My black is printing way off to the left, so half the circle is always missing. I can't use overprint with the silver, because the other colors don't stick too well to it, however, bleeding into the red makes it disappear. Any ideas? I'm getting tired of wasting the silver, which isn't cheap!

How should I choke/bleed, and what order to print in?

Attachments

• tail lights.JPG
    tail lights.JPG
    23.1 KB · Views: 255

Billct2

So you're printing three colors, silver medal, black & red on white?
I would do this as red and black on silver vinyl.
Instead of choke/spread could you try making the black ring a complete separate piece which overprints on the red circle?
To save the silver test with another color till you get it to work.
Another option would be to print the silver (with a white prime coat) and black on red vinyl.

Correct, I am printing on white.
If I used silver or red vinyl, wouldn't I have the same problem, but with silver or red shadows instead of the white? I don't want silver spaces between the red and black, or red spaces between the black and silver.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
The Silver Medal should be used as the top layer. It will overprint any other foil successfully but doesn't like being overprinted in most situations. Therefore you should either set the overprint parameter for the Silver Medal to overlap which will not knockout the colors beneath it or perform a choke and spread with the underlying color(s) spreading beneath the Silver Medal.

How do I get the red to spread under the black, and then the black to spread under the silver? I've tried to select all 3 colors, and the silver just overprints the whole thing.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Insure that the print order is red, then black and then silver. You can quickly determine this in the 1234 dialog which is opened by entering Control +D. Next do a choke and spread of the black and red and double check that the black has not changed and that the red is under the black. Finally with the silver on top, set the overprint/overlap to Overlap On. No choke and spread is needed for the silver.