• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions What plotter is best?

dro289

Hi everyone, I am hoping someone can give me feedback/point me in the right direction.

I am in the market for a new plotter. My Jaguar IV finally died. I mainly used it for window tint and vinyl decals. I plan on moving my Graphtec FC8600 to my tint shop to take its place. to handle that and for on the spot paint protection film.

I am looking to replace the Graphtec with something that can handle contour cutting without issue (Graphtec was a nightmare), and one that can also handle cutting out paint protection film, window tint and other graphics regularly. I'm told GCC's machines just aren't good for the longterm and I am lucky that I got 6 years out of the Jaguar IV. With how unreliable the Graphtec is at contour cutting, I am ruling them out as well. Hoping someone with experience in other machines who cut similar can give their feedback.

Thanks in advance.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
If you have that many complaints about Graphtec, you can spend twice as much on a Summa that will do a comparable job.
Our FC8600-160 has been perfect since day one.

dro289

If you have that many complaints about Graphtec, you can spend twice as much on a Summa that will do a comparable job.
Our FC8600-160 has been perfect since day one.

My biggest issue is it will not read registration marks well at all. Does great at everything else. Doesn't help the local "repair" shop does not return calls for service for graphtec either.

RPM

Sounds like you need to look for a machine where you can't adequate support locally. Fortunately for us, I am a certified tech for Graphtec and we have had damn near perfect luck with our old FC8000s. Summa makes a great machine. Roland is ok as well and I'm sure I'll miss a few others but, I'll stick with our FC8000's for now......

d fleming

I have no experience with Summa so I can't recommend, but my graphtec has been spot on since day one. Just replaced the rollers on it. Contour cut has never been a problem.

dro289

Sounds like you need to look for a machine where you can't adequate support locally. Fortunately for us, I am a certified tech for Graphtec and we have had damn near perfect luck with our old FC8000s. Summa makes a great machine. Roland is ok as well and I'm sure I'll miss a few others but, I'll stick with our FC8000's for now......

I have no experience with Summa so I can't recommend, but my graphtec has been spot on since day one. Just replaced the rollers on it. Contour cut has never been a problem.

Any advice you can give to try getting the countour cut to be more reliable? I spend so much time trying to get this thing to read registration marks. Drives me nuts. I'd much rather pay 1/2 the price for a Graphtec, but literally that is the one thing I constantly have issues with. I've tried messing with the settings after reading other threads and never found a solution other than try and try again. It's been great for everything but contour cutting in my experience over the last 4 years with it.

GB2

Old Member
Is it actually worth getting the OPOS Cam version over without the Cam?

As many times as I've looked into them I seem to always have the same question...as far as what I remember hearing is that the Opos Cam is just beneficial for speed if you are doing large volume cutting. I'm sure however, that there must be more to it than that.

PHILJOHNSON

Sales Manager
Is it actually worth getting the OPOS Cam version over without the Cam?

The advantage of using OPOS Cam versus OPOS X is faster registration speeds(saves around 4 seconds per mark). That said, the OPOS Cam units do require a USB connection so if you would like to network the plotter I would opt for the OPOS X(non camera version) because that is capable of running on a network connection.

We have some great deals on all the different Summa models at the moment so please let me know if you might be interested in seeing some pricing. My email address is philj@airmark.com in case you have any other questions or would like to compare the different Summa models.

Best regards,

Phil Johnson
Airmark Corporation
(800)527-7778, ext 112
philj@airmark.com

mkmie

Lost Soul
Any advice you can give to try getting the countour cut to be more reliable? I spend so much time trying to get this thing to read registration marks. Drives me nuts. I'd much rather pay 1/2 the price for a Graphtec, but literally that is the one thing I constantly have issues with. I've tried messing with the settings after reading other threads and never found a solution other than try and try again. It's been great for everything but contour cutting in my experience over the last 4 years with it.

This is a temporary fix that often, but didn't always, work on the Graphtec. Cut some scrap MATTE lam in about 1" squares and place over the registration marks. Turn off any light near the plotter. When in a desperate situation where we had to get something out we had gone as far as holding a piece of a substrate over the plotter in an attempt to block out the light. That was really just frustration. I'm not sure it was worth the effort.:)

Bought the Summa and rarely have problems now. My advice is that no matter what product you purchase to make sure that you have a competent service person nearby and proper support. Good luck and happy cutting.

By the way what else did you use the Graphtec for other than contour cutting?

dro289

This is a temporary fix that often, but didn't always, work on the Graphtec. Cut some scrap MATTE lam in about 1" squares and place over the registration marks. Turn off any light near the plotter. When in a desperate situation where we had to get something out we had gone as far as holding a piece of a substrate over the plotter in an attempt to block out the light. That was really just frustration. I'm not sure it was worth the effort.:)

Bought the Summa and rarely have problems now. My advice is that no matter what product you purchase to make sure that you have a competent service person nearby and proper support. Good luck and happy cutting.

By the way what else did you use the Graphtec for other than contour cutting?

I cut a ton of paint protection with it, along with just single colored vinyl graphics. Like I mentioned, only thing it struggled with was contour cutting, even with all lights off, matte piece of film over registration, thing just does not want to work with it.

chester215

Just call me Chester.
My biggest issue is it will not read registration marks well at all. Does great at everything else. Doesn't help the local "repair" shop does not return calls for service for graphtec either.

What type of material are you printing on, Is it reflective??

Looks like someone beat me to it.

dro289

What type of material are you printing on, Is it reflective??

Looks like someone beat me to it.

It's mainly on regular white vinyl with a gloss laminate. I've done reflective before with some success. I've placed scotch tape, a matte clear vinyl, matte ppf, matte lam on the marks, doesn't work well. Literally all lights off and try and try until it does. I called the local repair place to see if they can take a look to see if there is something wrong with it, but they literally ignore my calls and emails. I called to see if they could check it out, which I would gladly pay for, and do not get the time of day to try and get help in person on it or anything else apparently.

Saturn

Aging Member
Although it sounds counter intuitive... for hard to read laminates I've actually had great success using a high-intensity flashlight shone downwards at the crop and reader area from about 4" off to the side of the head. Must change the contrast or reflectivity just enough to make things work.

This was on my SUMMA S2 and NEVER happens with my day-to-day materials, but oh the things we'll try when we hit a speedbump and the hours start to tick by.