• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What printer to get Epson or HP

funnyb0nz

I am looking into getting a printer to print vehicle wraps, and arcade graphics. This is more of a hobby/toy for me not a business. I am looking at an Epson SureColor S70670 and HP Design Jet L26500 Latex. They are both previously owned and work great. What should be looking at before purchasing? They both say they can print on Vinyl, however how do you find out what thickness of material they can print on? And also what is the typical thickness of Vinyl for arcade vinyl and vehicle wraps?
I am new to the printing market, also price on these are between 2k and 5K does that seam about right? Looking for the expertise in this forum, do guide me down the correct path. Thanks in advance for your time and answers!

CanuckSigns

The latex machine is no longer supported by HP, which means finding inks and print heads is going to be very difficult in the near future.

The generation of Epson machines you are looking at don't have the best reputation, the newer ones are awesome machines, but the older ones, not so much.

Have you considered either partnering with a wholesale printer or a local shop? I know if you walked into my shop I would be willing to barter some printing in exchange for a cool arcade machine!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Most vinyls will be between 2mil and 4 mil for what you are asking.

As for the cost, that seems super cheap. I'd be a little careful.

funnyb0nz

The latex machine is no longer supported by HP, which means finding inks and print heads is going to be very difficult in the near future.

The generation of Epson machines you are looking at don't have the best reputation, the newer ones are awesome machines, but the older ones, not so much.

Have you considered either partnering with a wholesale printer or a local shop? I know if you walked into my shop I would be willing to barter some printing in exchange for a cool arcade machine!
Shoot me a Message, let me know where your located at. I have thought about that, I almost splurged 5 months ago and bought new, but I found site that did it barely for more then what my cost would be.....However now I can no longer find the site so guessing they did it too cheap.

CanuckSigns

Shoot me a Message, let me know where your located at. I have thought about that, I almost splurged 5 months ago and bought new, but I found site that did it barely for more then what my cost would be.....However now I can no longer find the site so guessing they did it too cheap.

I'm in Canada, so I don't think it would work, but I'm sure there are some local shops that would be interested

I am looking into getting a printer to print vehicle wraps, and arcade graphics. This is more of a hobby/toy for me not a business. I am looking at an Epson SureColor S70670 and HP Design Jet L26500 Latex. They are both previously owned and work great. What should be looking at before purchasing? They both say they can print on Vinyl, however how do you find out what thickness of material they can print on? And also what is the typical thickness of Vinyl for arcade vinyl and vehicle wraps?
I am new to the printing market, also price on these are between 2k and 5K does that seam about right? Looking for the expertise in this forum, do guide me down the correct path. Thanks in advance for your time and answers!

Hi we carry the Hp Latex printers. Both in refurbished and new. On the L26500 that unit still has all supplies available. It is the L25500 that has been discontinued. We have the L26500 printer with a 2 year national warranty on sale right now. We also carry the refurbished latex 360. Which is a heavy duty 64" printer. Also great for doing car wraps and all else for outdoors and indoors. thx Wideimagesolutions.com

axelmk

We used to have an Epson 50670, Great machines but maintenance is a must and can a be an issue if not run constantly.
We installed a Latex 360, two years ago and the difference in required maintenance is considerably less. The ability to replace printheads is definitely a Plus.

We used to have an Epson 50670, Great machines but maintenance is a must and can a be an issue if not run constantly.
We installed a Latex 360, two years ago and the difference in required maintenance is considerably less. The ability to replace printheads is definitely a Plus.

Hi yes there are many differences. The Hp is definitely the best way to go. We have them all, new and refurbished. With the quick dry and the low operating costs I would go with Hp. thx www.wideimagesolutions.com

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I clean the head on my mimaki maybe once every other month which takes 2 mins, change the captop every year which is another 2 mins and there are times it sits for a week or more if Im gone with no problems. Meanwhile, latex guys are laying prints out on the floor to see if they color match and line up, constantly screwing with profiles, fighting color matches, dealing with headstrikes from the crazy heat and replacing parts (print heads) on a regular basis that the rest of us dont deal with. Ill take the 2 mins a month to swab the head. Its so hard.

Christian @ 2CT Media

I clean the head on my mimaki maybe once every other month which takes 2 mins, change the captop every year which is another 2 mins and there are times it sits for a week or more if Im gone with no problems. Meanwhile, latex guys are laying prints out on the floor to see if they color match and line up, constantly screwing with profiles, fighting color matches, dealing with headstrikes from the crazy heat and replacing parts (print heads) on a regular basis that the rest of us dont deal with. Ill take the 2 mins a month to swab the head. Its so hard.
Totally uninformed, as all fanboyism is.

Ldireprophil

HP latex 365 is a workhouse. I haven’t done anything to it in a almost 3 years, except put ink in it. No maintenance whatsoever. It has yet to let me down. With that being said, I’m not opposed to adding an Epson Surecolor 6 or 8 series to my lineup.

Notarealsignguy

Totally uninformed, as all fanboyism is.
How many latex problems have you had and posted about? Didnt they take one back after a pile of unresolveable issues? It wasnt that long ago that you were complaining that they didnt hold up more than a year and you bought a colorado. And im the fanboy? Ok

Christian @ 2CT Media

I never once said they don't hold up for more than a year. And I just looked on Friday. In 10 years of having latex we have printed 2.1 million sqft through 6 machines.... Pretty darn good if you ask me. My companies point of contention is not with the machine but with the company HP.

We believe in the Latex and we are eagerly waiting for the new version to release, most likely later this year, and migrating from 570s to whatever the new one is called or the R series.

You want to talk about problems, look and the many Mimaki problems posted on here.

That's your totally un-biased opinion I assume, and has nothing to do with you selling HP latex machines...

Well I do like you. Lol, But we've been doing this for 34 years. Please do ask about that Epson when the printhead goes bad what must happen? Call a tech, pay $600 in labor, then between $1200-$2400 for the printhead and be down for about 2 weeks. With the Hp, you pull the bad head out with 2 fingers, put the new one in with 2 fingers, total cost under $150, and in 5 minutes you're back to printing. Plus many many more Hp benefits. thx Wideimagesolutions.com

Snydo

and be down for about 2 weeks
I've had at least three Surecolor heads replaced, and typically would be printing by the end of the next business day. Your dollar amounts are accurate for out of warranty, but the service contracts for after warranty are fairly priced and include one printhead per year if needed.

ikarasu

Our Seiko needed 5 heads replaced at $4000 a head. That's $20,000 - we were down for a few weeks trying to figure out issue out. We had techs from Japan fly.in and finally said our heads are 5 years old and they need to replaced... That the average is 4-5 years.

So they wanted us to spend $20,000 to replace 5 heads. Then in a few months we'd likely have to replace the other 3 heads. That's after a year of running less than perfect prints, because who wants to spend $4000 to fix a little.bit of banding?

Now we have a latex - our prints are 100% everyday. We've spent less than $1000 on heads over the past year and a half, and printed 5x as much as we did on our solvent.

We now own 3 latex machines and are looking into the r100 - I don't want to say well never go back to solvent because the Epson does look awesome, but I can say we don't have a reason to switch, and no plans to.

I find the people that cry over latex consumables are ones who have never had or tried a latex. It's funny how vocal some people are about technogy. I've used solvent, thermal, UV, latex, I want to use uv gel, etc. Every machine has its place...and the only time I'd recommend not buying a machine is based on the model having issues, not based on the technogy used.

Notarealsignguy

Our Seiko needed 5 heads replaced at $4000 a head. That's $20,000 - we were down for a few weeks trying to figure out issue out. We had techs from Japan fly.in and finally said our heads are 5 years old and they need to replaced... That the average is 4-5 years.

So they wanted us to spend $20,000 to replace 5 heads. Then in a few months we'd likely have to replace the other 3 heads. That's after a year of running less than perfect prints, because who wants to spend $4000 to fix a little.bit of banding?

Now we have a latex - our prints are 100% everyday. We've spent less than $1000 on heads over the past year and a half, and printed 5x as much as we did on our solvent.

We now own 3 latex machines and are looking into the r100 - I don't want to say well never go back to solvent because the Epson does look awesome, but I can say we don't have a reason to switch, and no plans to.

I find the people that cry over latex consumables are ones who have never had or tried a latex. It's funny how vocal some people are about technogy. I've used solvent, thermal, UV, latex, I want to use uv gel, etc. Every machine has its place...and the only time I'd recommend not buying a machine is based on the model having issues, not based on the technogy used.
Care to tell is what 54-60” eco-solvent printer has 5 - $4k heads when pretty much every single printer on this level runs $8k-20k brand new? You guys always jump to how cheap and easy the heads are to replace. You never bring up that they are this way because its a regular maintenance item unlike every other printer on the market that uses a robust permanent head.
Its like saying cheap chinese tires are better than goodyear cuz you can get new brand tires every 3 months.
Im not saying its a terrible printer but for once be honest about them and their pitfalls.

Christian @ 2CT Media

Care to tell is what 54-60” eco-solvent printer has 5 - $4k heads when pretty much every single printer on this level runs $8k-20k brand new? You guys always jump to how cheap and easy the heads are to replace. You never bring up that they are this way because its a regular maintenance item unlike every other printer on the market that uses a robust permanent head.
Its like saying cheap chinese tires are better than goodyear cuz you can get new brand tires every 3 months.
Im not saying its a terrible printer but for once be honest about them and their pitfalls.
The Seiko/Oki is $30k+ new depending on the configuration, the head costs have come down significantly. Our Colorado has $4,000 heads.

The heads being a consumable on latex has never been hidden by anyone, it's an uptime part and required for optimal printing. What is skewed is when people say color matching panel to panel is a struggle or the heads only last 1L, etc. That is all based on the operator and their proper setup.

rjssigns

Picking a printer is based on what you produce and how it gets produced, which is different for every shop. Case in point. I looked at all the printers and I mean all of them. Wired my office for a latex and was ready to buy one. I ended up getting another solvent printer. Why? Deal breaker for me was latex can't run small pieces and small pieces left over from larger jobs are what I use for industrial labeling.

Not knocking the tech, but it wasn't the right fit for what I do. I don't run full rolls of anything in one shot. Also not going to run several square feet of vinyl to produce two 4" x 6" labels. Some say it's the cost of doing business with a latex. I can't accept that and wring every last bit of printable area out of every roll I buy.

Every printer has strengths and weaknesses. Buy what fits your business model not what works for someone else.