• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What products do you sub out?

ams

I am working on increasing my equipment and doing more in house manufacturing. This is not a sales advertisement as I don't do a whole lot in house right now and don't sell wholesale.

In the future I will become a merchant on here, but I want to find out what people have a need for. There are a few pieces of equipment I am considering for my own jobs, but if there is a large need for the same, it would be best to get that equipment, not only does it help you out, but it helps me pay off the machine.

A few options i was considering is ADA signs/routed, Hybrid Flatbed with Roll to Roll and 4' X 4' CNC router. In a couple of years I want to move into doing channel letters and box cabinets for LED's.

Thanks

Pauly

Printrade.com.au
It seems smaller shops outsource larger items i.e banners, or flatbed printing. As i'm a flatbed printer and have a 2.5m roll. i get outsourced those things.
I outsource small stuff like stickers or business cards, flyers...

• Agree
Reactions: BVG

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
If you're plan on going into channel letters and lighted cabinets, may I suggest a larger router? Five or six foot by 12', minimum.
As far as things we outsource: Powder coating; plastic bending and forming; steel cutting; office printing (business cards and the like); grand format (over 8' stuff that can't be seamed); laser cut parts larger than 36" x 48"; anything requiring waterjet cutting; neon/neon repair; flags; steel fabrication. Probably a bunch of other stuff I'm forgetting. More power to the shops that can keep everything in house and keep turning out a quality product.

mmblarg

We're a smaller shop so when we get large quantity orders we tend to outsource. Things like quantities over 100 for corrugated yard signs and over 500 for decals. We order all 3D lettering as well. Any banners that exceed our 72 inch roll. Any requests for FoamCore or Static Cling since we avoid those material due to customer complaints. Other things we just send the business elsewhere since we aren't able to produce them for a competitive price - flyers, posters, loose leaf prints, business cards, etc.

ams

Thanks everyone, it appears to be wide range, but more closer to the yard sign and paper products. Also to GaSouthpaw, we just need that as a starter unit because it's the only size that will fit in our building. We can group things together, but when it comes to full production my goal is 5' X 10' when we move into a bigger building. Thanks

ForerunnerJesse

ams ... I have the same question, I'm not sure I saw the answer I was looking for? I also, am looking for the best suggested equipment upgrade, in order, to move to a full fabrication shop. I am now building cabinets in-house, as well as anything else I can "assemble". I think my next steps will include; continue purchasing general shop/fab tools, lease larger facility, welder(s), 5x10 cnc. Thanks for asking the question.

ams

ams ... I have the same question, I'm not sure I saw the answer I was looking for? I also, am looking for the best suggested equipment upgrade, in order, to move to a full fabrication shop. I am now building cabinets in-house, as well as anything else I can "assemble". I think my next steps will include; continue purchasing general shop/fab tools, lease larger facility, welder(s), 5x10 cnc. Thanks for asking the question.

Yeah it's tough to figure out because there are hundreds of types of signs and dozens of types of equipment to make them. Soon as I find a big need, I am going to fill it. Right now I am going to keep focusing on installation since it's good money and about 40% of our business right now and save up.

visual800

lighted pylon, channel letters, coro signs, routing, screen printed shirts.

I own 1 van and one plotter and thats good enough for me. I do all design work and all sales. You cannot produce lighted signs in house cheaper than you can purchase them UNLESS you are doing large quantities per year. In the town I live in there is not enough business to own all the equipment needed. The sign shop that does my routing has said IF the one he has wasnt paid for he couldnt justify buying a new one, he just doesnt run it enough.

The largest sign company in this town went under after 07 had all the in house equipment and were doing several million per year and of course that justified having that stuff. I was actually subbing everything out to them and still making a great living! It was an awesome relationship we had. But now thats over. There is another huge company in Birmingham called Fravert Services, hell after the economy crashed they built on to their facilities. The do nationwide work, hospitals, stadiums, universities they handle millions per year. their facility blows my mind.

I would advise to stay small for now and see how it goes and THEN make a determination if all this equipment is worth it. Work up to owning equipment dont make working for your equipment a stressful situation. Equipment should supprst itself