• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What should I look for before buying a used printer?

Jleworth

Hey guys,
I was hoping to gather some insight and get some advice on exactly what I should look for before purchasing a used solvent printer. I first got into the sign making industry to create my own custom signage for my food concession business. I started with and still have only a cutter but I have since got into making signage for others as
well as myself. Recently, I started working for a company that specializes in vehicle wraps for the concession industry as an installer and have seen the many advantages of having a digital printer. I have decided that I would like to purchase a printer for myself and have searched high and low on Craigslist for a used machine that will fit my budget. A few days ago I found a Roland SC500 54" printer/cutter for sale for under $350 and I have contacted the seller and arranged to meet up tomorrow morning. I wondering if anybody out there could give me some information on what I should look for before buying one of these machines used. What I already know about this printer is that it has sat for a few years and it will probably need new printheads, it has been converted to Eco solvent, it has heaters, in its current state it is capable of cutting, and I know that it is big, old, and slow. I did a Google search for the printheads and (please correct me if I'm wrong) found that it requires (2) DX2 printheads that aren't made anymore but seem to still be available online from a few suppliers. I have found the printheads for as low as $250 so even if they both need to be replaced, I will still be under $1000 total. What concerns me most are the other components that I am, at this point still somewhat unfamiliar with, like the pump(s), dampers, and capping station. Is there a good way to check if these other parts will also need to be replaced without the ability to print a status report? Is there anything else that anyone can think of that I should check out? Let's say that the previous owner used the printer and then, without any cleaning or flushing, let it sit for a few years, what parts would need to be replaced in order to get it up and running again? I've purchased a lot of used equipment and have come across quite a few things that weren't worth what it would cost to repair. From what I have read, even if that is the case with this printer, parting it out on eBay should get me my money back. What do you guys think? Is this a good deal?
I have watched YouTube videos and read dozens of articles trying to answer the questions I've asked and I seem to remember coming across something somewhere that mentioned I should secure the heads or the carriage prior to transporting a printer. If I decide to buy this machine, it will ride in the back of my truck for about 30 miles on smooth road to my shop. Is there anything I need to do as a precautionary measure before transporting it?

Thanks guys!

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
Considering you will need to replace more than the print heads because it's been sitting sooo long and Roland's are made to stay working...You'll probably need to replace the following:
Heads, Ink Lines, capping Station, Dampers, Maybe the pump, possibly the encoder strip.
Now, considering much of that stuff isn't made for that one anymore and assuming you are not a technician familiar with that printer...

No...it's not worth it. If you're going to use it for a business, buy one with a warranty and technician service, write off the depreciation or whatever, and make it pay for itself.
When your'e done with it, want to upgrade, or want out of the business...you'll more than likely have a machine that you can still sell.
That guy should pay you $400 to move that tank off his property properly. ...just sayin.

Jleworth

I appreciate your response. Sorry if this is a stupid question but in your list of parts, are the heads different from the printheads?

Jleworth

Since I did ask "Is this a good deal?" I feel like I should specify that I do not know for sure that this printer was decommissioned without the proper flushing and maintainance. I only meant to ask, at the worst, what parts I would need to
replace to get the printer printing again.
I just did another Craigslist search and found the same model printer, in working order, for sale for $3000 so I must say that I'm a little surprised to hear that the printer I'm looking at may not be a good deal. Thanks for the input guys!

player

It has a built in cutter so it might be a cheap cutter for $150... Then again it is so old will it actually plug into a modern computer? Does cutting software support it? Second thought forget it...

bilge

That guy should pay you $400 to move that tank off his property properly. ...just sayin.[/QUOTE]

:rock-n-roll:
That was the most honest and straight forward comment you can get.

But it seems like "Nothin's gonna stop you now". Go ahead and find yourself.
It would be a hand-on, step by step, self-taught seminar. If this printer is not working condition, nothing to check. You may buy as is just seeing the state of appearance.
After you buy, if you couldn't restore it you might end up either completely give up or buy brand new printer.
If you manage to restore it, you will be looking for an another better printer again.
Don't forget to make youtube video for this restoration project. It would be fun to watch.

sorry for being a bit rude, but at the end you will find that I'm right.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
"What should I look for before buying a used printer? "

A new printer.

Disabuse your mind, you'll never make this hot deal of a boat anchor masquerading as a printer ride again. Ever.

Snydo

If your working for a company that specializes in wraps perhaps you could make an arrangement to get low cost prints done.

As others have said, this guy should be paying you to haul that printer away. If you order those $250 print heads from China you will either never see them or they will be DOA.

Jleworth

I admit that I certainly hoped to hear that this was a good deal and that it was worth it to fix it up but I can't say that "Nothin's gonna stop me now". I wouldn't have gone to the trouble of asking the question, if I didn't plan on taking the responses into consideration.

So, I think its safe to say that no one thinks that the SC500 is worth buying. From what Ive gathered, most of you feel this way because you believe that there will be other parts that need to be replaced besides just the printheads such as the ink lines, capping station, dampers, pump, possibly the encoder strip, etc, and also of course because the machine is outdated. Like I stated in my first post, I understand that this is an old printer and that it would be very slow compared to those on the market today. I also understand that I will want a new and better printer if I am to compete, regardless of whether I were to buy this machine or not. I'm honestly not trying to convince anyone to change their mind, but there are still a few things that I still don't understand and I'm hoping someone can clear up.

-Assuming that the printer I'm interested in needs all of the parts I listed above, what is the problem with buying new parts and replacing the old ones? Availability of the parts? Cost of parts vs. value of the printer? Technical skills needed to replace the parts?

-This tune-up kit I found seems to include all of the parts that I've heard mentioned but a few have said that it will never print again. If I were to buy the printer and the tune-up kit, and was able to succesfully install all of the parts, should I expect other parts to fail as well? If so, what other parts commonly fail on this type of printer?

-Somebody said that if the printer is not in working condition, there is nothing to check. Am I then to assume that one would not be able to visually inspect and diagnose a bad printhead, ink line, capping station, damper, or encoder strip?

-Is it uncommon for those of you who own your own printers that are out of warranty to maintain them and replace parts yourselves?

-A few have suggested I look for a new printer. Is there some common issue with buying used printers that makes the significantly greater investment in buying a new printer a much better choice?

Like I said before, I'm not trying to change anyones mind about whether or not I found a good deal, I'm only trying to gain a better understanding of why you guys don't think it is so I can make the decision myself.

Syndo, I appreciate the warning about the printheads from China, I thought the price seemed to good to be true, Ill look elsewhere in the future. Also, you suggested that I make an arragement with the company that I work for and that would be a great idea however, the reason that I am looking into buying a printer is because the company that I work for is downsizing and getting rid of their graphics department. We always had plenty of business but the owner is getting old and was offered a generous check to rent out the part of the building we worked in. I am hoping to work out a deal to continue doing the graphics for the company on my own but I first need the equipment to do so.

Thanks again for all the input!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Unless you're not telling us about another business you have on the side, I'd hafta say you're a fool if you venture into this project. The other business would be a Roland tech person with much knowledge. Granted, manufacturers don't make money when you buy such old equipment, but don't you find it odd, that they're not chiming in to sell you a decent used machine ?? Wanna know why ?? Cause they know you're Hell bent on getting junk....... and that's what you really doing.

I wish you all the luck in the world, but this sounds like the move of a desperate person, with no common sense,

The list would go on forever with all the reasons to NOT buy this machine, but the pro list is practically non-existent.

:banghead:

floater302

I agree with everone here and would like to add, if you don't know what the parts are or do, you have no business buying a used one because if it goes down you might do more damage trying to fix it, get a new one, and in my thought I don't like the printer /cutters in one.

inkfrog

Dont do it. If your business cant support the price of a new or dealer refurbished machine then unfortunately you need to develop your business to a point where it can. By that I mean sub out the type of work you cannot yet produce, or increase the sales from equipment you already own to pay for the equipment you currently dont.

player

Who is selling you the new heads? Occasionally someone here buys printheads overseas for a great price and the head(s) arrive DOA with zero refund/return.

HDvinyl

Trump 2020
Buy it. You seem like you've learned enough from Youtube to be a millionaire before the end of the year.

studio 440

if the company you are working for is downsizing their graphics dept can you make a deal to acquire their equip on a payment plan and have them sub out the work to you as a sub contractor. what are they doing with all the equipment if they are closing this part of the bussiness down .

ams

A Roland 54" for $350? RUN AWAY!!

So no one is going to agree in this forum about what printer to get. But I recommend an eco-solvent printer due to faster cure times, but also consider getting one with white ink. It's very useful and doesn't limit you.

d fleming

I'm about to unplug a seiko 64s and toss it. Needs heads and maintenance. Full solvent inks. I don't do enough any more to justify the expense of fixing it back to proper printing quality or to replace it. Come get it if you want it. You can buy my lunch, lol.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
The SC500 was a cluncker when it came out over a decade ago and nothing has changed since. Also, they no longer manufacture parts for this machine. Roland stopped supporting them years ago and ran out of parts for them soon after. Mutoh is the only place we can get parts for this machine because it shares parts with the Mutoh Falcon Series, also bad machines. We just put a PO in for the last capping station Mutoh has and will ever have. That means the only place you are going to be able to get parts for this machine is maybe China but they will be or already are out of stock as well. If you buy this machine you will regret it.