• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What Software do you recommend?

John Mc

Hi All,

Just getting back into Vinyl Cutting as hobby as i uses to have a small business 12 years ago using Art Cut! Basic but worked for me.

I have bought Sign Cut, Cant seem to get it to be reliable, Sometimes works sometimes it doesn't.

I als have to pay monthly for Adobe illustrator and Photoshop to export into sign cut which doesn't seem feasible.

Most software i have looked at also want a monthly membership.

Any help or guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Illustrator itself is pretty good. Just use that and forget about all these other Mickey Mouse doo-dads.

2B

we use Corel Draw and from this we cut directly to our summa using the free plug in WinPlot

OldPaint

COREL DRAW..... no bridge program. cut right from COREL......TO PLOTTER..... been doing this since 1992))

S'N'S

I use Vinyl Master Xpt but if your only cutting vinyl there are other, Pro, Lite etc which are cheaper. I've had Corel & Illy and theres to much mucking around to do anything. You can download the demo and try it. :: VinylMaster Demo ::

OldPaint

corel draw to cutter: i have a ROLAND, SOOOO.. i got to rolanddga site d/l driver......for windows o/s. unpack, and then load to computer, got to corel, select plotter as printer.....set up page.....make haireline and no fill..wala......your cuttin))

myront

CorelDRAW is best
Corel doesn't require a monthly fee. You buy it, you own it. Form then on you can just buy the upgrade at half the price. Quite possible to go years without needing an upgrade.
DO NOT GET SUCKERED INTO THE STUDENT VERSION.

RyanT

Director of Entropy
I've been using Inkscape until I can justify spending the $ on Corel (soon...). Its free, open source, but limited so you have to be creative to get things done. Biggest downside is importing customer .eps files... it's a process. I just export to pdf and import into the cutter software.

bannertime

I hate saying it, but if I could start over, I'd probably learn Corel. I really don't like or appreciate Adobe's business practices. Corel seems a bit more ethical, just speculation though. I'd still use Flexi, but I'd try Corel to handle everything I don't do in Flexi. Inkscape seems to have a following, free, and it has extensions to cut with as well.