• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What Software Do You Use for Cut Only?

SCDesign

I apologize if this isn't the best forum for this, as this question isn't about print to cut software. We cut a lot of unprinted vinyl, and we're currently using Cutting Master 3, and I'm wondering what other people use.

We use Cutting Master 3 instead of Cutting Master 4 because it's so much easier to divide jobs into multiple panels. We cut enormous logos, sometimes up to 30' x 30', and these need to be divided into 7 or 8 panels with a certain amount of bleed in between.

We tried using Cutting Master 4 because we can't run Cutting Master 3 anymore on newer Mac OS, but it's total garbage for multiple panel jobs. There's no way we can efficiently use that program for what we do. We need to figure something out, though, because eventually we won't be able to use our beloved Cutting Master 3.

Does anyone else know a cutting software that's efficient for multi-panel jobs? What other programs can we check out? Thanks in advance for any advice.

rjssigns

Flexi for cut vinyl and print/cut, but it won't run on a Mac. Could probably do a VM though. I think others here have done it successfully.

SCDesign

Flexi for cut vinyl and print/cut, but it won't run on a Mac. Could probably do a VM though. I think others here have done it successfully.

We can definitely use PC as well, so that's not a dealbreaker. Have you divided jobs into multiple panels before using Flexi? If you have, would you say it's pretty quick/intuitive?

I know that we can pre-panel jobs in Illustrator, but that would really slow us down. If Flexi can do it pretty well, though, then it's worth checking out.

rjssigns

We can definitely use PC as well, so that's not a dealbreaker. Have you divided jobs into multiple panels before using Flexi? If you have, would you say it's pretty quick/intuitive?

I know that we can pre-panel jobs in Illustrator, but that would really slow us down. If Flexi can do it pretty well, though, then it's worth checking out.

Paneled a semi-truck wrap with Flexi. You can set overlaps, flip every other panel and set sizes manually. I just set the overlap and let it figure out the panels. Then I take a look to make sure the panel won't screw up text or images. Easy to turn panels on or off too.
Pretty sure Flexi has a free trial. May be worth a shot.

ikarasu

Just curious, whats so hard about cutting master 4? I don't panel much.. But I just played around with paneling, and it seems pretty easy and automated in CM4 - Unless it doesn't cut it properly after you use it?

SCDesign

Just curious, whats so hard about cutting master 4? I don't panel much.. But I just played around with paneling, and it seems pretty easy and automated in CM4 - Unless it doesn't cut it properly after you use it?

For single panel jobs, it works just fine. For multiple panels, it will feed a few extra feet of vinyl or a seemingly random amount before cutting for some reason. Not sure if that is an issue with CM4 per se, but we haven't had this issue with CM3.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
Do you know off hand if FineCut 8 is compatible with Illustrator?

I don't. At the time we purchased the Mimaki bundle we had the choice to use the plug-in for Corel or Illustrator. Of course the most logical choice was Corel. Didn't think much about it since. At that time we only had an older version of illy (maybe CS4). I would assume that it is compatible but...

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
Since we are Adobe based here...we use Illustrator with Cutting Master 4 for our graptech. Only issue is the compatibility with latest update of Illustrator it seems. Had to roll that one back for time being.

brdesign

a new version of cutting master 4 is available for the latest version of Illustrator I just installed it last week.

Since we are Adobe based here...we use Illustrator with Cutting Master 4 for our graptech. Only issue is the compatibility with latest update of Illustrator it seems. Had to roll that one back for time being.