• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What the actual &%$# is Corel playing at?

signmeup

I opened my copy of CorelDraw X4 this morning and got a pop up message that saving etc. has been disabled by Corel because it is a pirated copy. Anyone else get one?

Adrian

Attachments

• Corel capture.JPG
    Corel capture.JPG
    70.6 KB · Views: 1,233

signmeup

I got a sales pitch to upgrade Corel. Wasted an hour of my life trying to find the box the software came in

WildWestDesigns

I opened my copy of CorelDraw X4 this morning and got a pop up message that saving etc. has been disabled by Corel because it is a pirated copy. Anyone else get one?

Adrian

I'm surprised at this due to the fact that I would imagine that X4 didn't require online activation, so therefore, it shouldn't be in a database that would be able to lock you out. I'm speculating this as I have run X5 without the computer being online and it was able to activate with a serial number only. No servers to communicate with.

Depending on what Corel's team says you could try the following (which they may not be much help as X4 would probably be too much of a legacy version to get any type of support, even paid, but I'm speculating):

I guess, what you could try to do is uninstall, re-install and make sure the computer doesn't seen an outside connection (which is what I would suggest anyway for a production computer).

WildWestDesigns

I got a sales pitch to upgrade Corel.

Looks like I was right on my speculating. Not surprising.

Wasted an hour of my life trying to find the box the software came in

I would actually also "rip" the installation disc at an ISO (just a compressed virtual disc in other words) and have that to store on hard drives (make sure you put the serial number with it, if it needs one, again, my first exposure was X5 and it did need one). As optical media seem to be on the outs (and they do have a finite lifespan), I would suggest moving your optical media to ISOs as a backup. Most disc burning software have this capability. I wouldn't use archiving software for this. They can do ISOs, but there is a quirk that makes the ISO not as useful compared to using disc burning software.

Bigdawg

Just Me
We got that about a year ago in X5. There were companies online selling what appeared to be legit Corel software (which is where we bought it) but they aren't really legit serial numbers as in they would all have the same serial number. And we had our box. And our paperwork. And our receipts. Company we purchased it from was (surprise!) no longer in business.

The final answer from Corel? Tough. Buy a new version. What you have is illegal. We don't use Corel anymore...

cajun312

Corel did the same thing to me, I got someone on the phone, he said I HAD to upgrade. Told him I was retiring next year, he told me to disable notifications, or to use the software on a computer that is not online.

signmeup

I had the problem of buying pirated software with Corel 12. It was a perfect copy right down to the silk screened disc. Corel said it was no good so I bought this copy of X4 from Corel... not a reseller. My current software is fine despite them warning that it has been disabled. I spoke with customer service and they were fine with the serial number I provided. They "have opened a ticket" with tech support to get to the bottom of my problem.

Adrian

signmeup

So... no more contact from Corel. This seems to be their idea of a marketing campaign. I'll have to close this irritating pop-up accusing me of being a thief every time I start the program I paid for. Not impressed.

Adrian

WildWestDesigns

You know, I could understand if it was just a pop up say "hey running legacy software want to update?" And then just tick a box said not to remind you etc.

But to actually say pirated copy, that's a little far, especially when they said it was good when you did contact them.

signmeup

When I did contact customer support they tried to sell me a newer version. It's the dumbest marketing ploy I've seen in a while.

Adrian

WildWestDesigns

When I did contact customer support they tried to sell me a newer version. It's the dumbest marketing ploy I've seen in a while.

Adrian

Just out of curiosity, where you locked out since then or did it only show up in the message saying that you would be locked out?

At the very least, based on what I'm reading, it's deceptive (at least in my mind), even if they didn't lock you out.

Not a marketing ploy that would make me spend my hard earned money to supporting them. I realize that it's hard getting people to upgrade on a software that's ~30 yrs old and finding new things to excite customers over, but boy that does make me want to go elsewhere from what I'm reading (or stick with using the old as long as I can). I would like to think that there is something going on in the background, if nothing else on their end, that would reconcile the logic behind it all.