• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What To Do If A Competing Business Undercuts You In Price

Jon Aston

What To Do If A Competing Business Undercuts You In Price?

The short answer is create/offer more value.

Note the bit about "content".

Article here.

OneUpTenn

Thanks for sharing. I do not have a retail location and believe it or not I get undercut all the time especially on the larger orders, but the one thing I promote and deliver is my personal service and people love that.

Yes you can call me and add one shirt to that order that you forgot.
Yes I will bring it to you when I go to lunch.
Yes you can come by and we can look at things together.
Yes I know you procrastinated and yes I can have them to you next week.

All these things mean so much to my customers. I have an extremely loyal customer base and once I get them hooked on this one-on-one they love it.

Other than the yellow page ad (waste of money never doing it again) I paid $0 in advertising last year and had a totally awesome year. Busy even when no one else was.

Also I learned from selling real estate..."Don't be afraid to ask for business and/or referrals" and it works. When I do work for say a softball coach at a school and they are happy I always say...now how can I get in with the baseball coach? If you catch them right after they get their stuff they are more likely to spread the word for you. 90% of my business last year was word-of-mouth.

GP

Unfortunately, quite timely in my world.

Thanks Jon,

GP

(while whistling "Always look on the bright side of Life")

GB2

Old Member
Jon, you are always such an invaluable contributor here, I wish you would start a thread and describe your professional services in some detail. I can only imagine how much value there must be in that!

BigfishDM

Merchant Member
Clients are in a price sensitive market just like all of you people are its real simple. Their will always be someone cheaper, its real hard to add value in this economy when all people want is the best price. Those books were good 5 years ago though.

WrapperX

I always tell customers that we will NOT be the cheapest place you look, but we can offer services that are the best in our area. And, in our experience, people respect the honesty but they come back because they know they are getting a quality product and service.

Slamdunkpro

Interesting articles, but I find this guy a little "consultant-y" I found this quote telling:
In terms of our situation, we’ll just have to see how it plays out.
In other words we hope this will work - buy my books.

The other article contained this gem
DiGiorno’s unique selling proposition is that their pizza tastes as good as delivery pizza except that it comes from the freezer. Their unique selling point always rings in the back of my mind every time I walk down the aisles of my local grocery store. In fact, I don’t buy any other frozen pizza brands anymore because their pizza is inexpensive and good.
People tend to list their most important reason for purchase first, in this case he writes an entire article on pumping your brand to command a premium price yet admits that in his example his primary reason for purchasing DiGiorno's pizza is it's cheap.

S

scarface

Awesome post Jon!

Had this this morning when i quoted $180 for 100 printed/lam 3x5" decals

Customer:

"Not sure why they are so expensive? I can get them online for 100"

My response before seeing this thread:

"I don't believe they are expensive at all. It's a one off custom product to fit your business.

I don't worry too much about what they are selling for online. Online markets are different than local ones with everything to be honest.

Thanks!"